What's new

Today's Thrift Find

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
We will see works great...broken ones are selling for $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I hope you can get that for it, but I would be very surprised if that was the case. When you say they are selling broken ones for $100? Are sure thats not the asking price? Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but I am very skeptical on this one.

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
Well, I hope you can get that for it, but I would be very surprised if that was the case. When you say they are selling broken ones for $100? Are sure thats not the asking price? Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but I am very skeptical on this one.
Etsy sold one for $75 with $35 shipping cassette didn't work.

And this is a very similar model sold for $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHARP-GF-4648-AM-FM-RADIO-SINGLE-CASSETTE-BOOMBOX-RADIO-16-1-2-/401272394234?hash=item5d6db2d1fa:g:LugAAOSwjDZYmRgx

Just an estimate but I think anywhere from $80-$160 is a fair estimate.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
that would be awesome if you can get it! Is there something special about this particular unit? Why is it so valuable?

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
that would be awesome if you can get it! Is there something special about this particular unit? Why is it so valuable?
No idea I just usually pick up these items and for $6 I said shit I will take a gamble. Saw the one on etsy sold but ask old smokey he seems to know more about stereo equipment.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Etsy sold one for $75 with $35 shipping cassette didn't work.

And this is a very similar model sold for $150.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHARP-GF-4648-AM-FM-RADIO-SINGLE-CASSETTE-BOOMBOX-RADIO-16-1-2-/401272394234?hash=item5d6db2d1fa:g:LugAAOSwjDZYmRgx

Just an estimate but I think anywhere from $80-$160 is a fair estimate.

I haven't messed with vintage electronics for several years and it looks like maybe the boombox is gaining in popularity. Good luck and I look forward to you proving me wrong.

Last edited:

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I went to Goodwill yesterday after reading this thread. Best deal I could find was a paperback copy of Seabiscuit for .99.

I suck at thrift shopping.
COOL - post a pic of the book. This thread is all about what you find, doesn't need to be if you plan to keep or sell it. I keep a bunch of the items I buy with no intention of selling them.

Goodwill is tough, but you can find some really good stuff. My goodwill near me just so happens to pull "new carts" our around 5 on my drive home from work, so I usually stop in and check that cart. Usually the best stuff.

If you're just getting in it - it takes time and I have made some bad buys. Some tips:
smart phones are your friends and amazon seller app has a scan function where you can scan the UPC to see what it's currently selling on amazon for. Give you a rough estimate at what you can get.
I always scan new in box items.
I started in shirts and t-shirts. Look for Band touring shirts, look for high quality brand button downs (brooks brothers), always check condition too.
Check and see if your local thrift shop has a return policy if so, you don't really need to worry about picking something up that may be a bust. Pick it up, do the research and then return it if you don't think it's worth it.
If you plan to sell, I aim to have a value of at LEAST 3-4x times the value of the item I purchased.

It's all fun, I love the hunt and it really is a cool feeling to find something that someone else wants (just sold a toy truck last week and it went to Italy).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
COOL - post a pic of the book. This thread is all about what you find, doesn't need to be if you plan to keep or sell it. I keep a bunch of the items I buy with no intention

Goodwill is tough, but you can find some really good stuff. My goodwill near me just so happens to pull "new carts" our around 5 on my drive home from work, so I usually stop in and check that cart. Usually the best stuff.

If you're just getting in it - it takes time and I have made some bad buys. Some tips:
smart phones are your friends and amazon seller app has a scan function where you can scan the UPC to see what it's currently selling on amazon for. Give you a rough estimate at what you can get.
I always scan new in box items.
I started in shirts and t-shirts. Look for Band touring shirts, look for high quality brand button downs (brooks brothers), always check condition too.
Check and see if your local thrift shop has a return policy if so, you don't really need to worry about picking something up that may be a bust. Pick it up, do the research and then return it if you don't think it's worth it.
If you plan to sell, I aim to have a value of at LEAST 3-4x times the value of the item I purchased.

It's all fun, I love the hunt and it really is a cool feeling to find something that someone else wants (just sold a toy truck last week and it went to Italy).
The amazon app I just downloaded and you need to be an active seller to join......I'll have to wait for now....

Sent from my cellular device using tap to talk

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
The amazon app I just downloaded and you need to be an active seller to join......I'll have to wait for now....

Sent from my cellular device using tap to talk
I think you can just sign up on amazon seller for free...but if you don't want to do there are bunch of free ones just type "price scanner" in the search function of the app store...should be a bunch. I would pick one with more than 10+ratings/reviews.