What's new

Top Quality Cigars.com Coupon Code???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
:eyepoke: For those of you which don't care about throwing money away at overpriced shipping, my address can be found in the LBB. I will send you back a piece of lint for your money, that way you at least have something to show for it. :stretchgr
How much of it is thrown away? He has to go get the cigars, pack them up, pad them, put them in a box, label it, and get it shipped off. That takes time and supplies. Then UPS (or USPS, FedEx, DHL, Pack mule, yo mammas truckin) isn't going to just transport it across the country and have someone hand deliver it to your doorstep for free. Why does almost everyone expect a handout these days? Very little comes for free these days, and I don't expect anyone to GIVE me anything. Maybe his shipping method costs more? Maybe he feels he deserves a few bucks for his time? Free shipping, from a business, is a perk not a right. As with any purchase, you have to look at the total price involved, and decide if it is worth it for you.

aquarich

BoM March '11
Rating - 100%
205   0   0
How much of it is thrown away? He has to go get the cigars, pack them up, pad them, put them in a box, label it, and get it shipped off. That takes time and supplies. Then UPS (or USPS, FedEx, DHL, Pack mule, yo mammas truckin) isn't going to just transport it across the country and have someone hand deliver it to your doorstep for free. Why does almost everyone expect a handout these days? Very little comes for free these days, and I don't expect anyone to GIVE me anything. Maybe his shipping method costs more? Maybe he feels he deserves a few bucks for his time? Free shipping, from a business, is a perk not a right. As with any purchase, look at the total price involved, and decide if it is worth it for you.
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yeah, people got to realize that every B&M doesn't have a staff that mails out 4 million packages a day like other online retailers.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
How much of it is thrown away? He has to go get the cigars, pack them up, pad them, put them in a box, label it, and get it shipped off. That takes time and supplies. Then UPS (or USPS, FedEx, DHL, Pack mule, yo mammas truckin) isn't going to just transport it across the country and have someone hand deliver it to your doorstep for free. Why does almost everyone expect a handout these days? Very little comes for free these days, and I don't expect anyone to GIVE me anything. Maybe his shipping method costs more? Maybe he feels he deserves a few bucks for his time? Free shipping, from a business, is a perk not a right. As with any purchase, you have to look at the total price involved, and decide if it is worth it for you.
Yep a company that ships a thousand items a day will be cheaper than one that ships a hundred a month or so just guessing with numbers!

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Yep a company that ships a thousand items a day will be cheaper than one that ships a hundred a month or so just guessing with numbers!
Yes, the company shipping thousands of items a day gets a much better rate than an shop that doesn't ship much. TJ hit the nail on the head with his post IMO. The actual postage isn't the complete representation of what it costs the shop to send a package. USPS may be cheaper than UPS, but good luck resolving any problem that may arise with USPS. Many shops loose money shipping with UPS, but the added piece of mind that UPS will resolve problems is worth it.

falconman515

Central Cali Cigar Crew
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Yeah, people got to realize that every B&M doesn't have a staff that mails out 4 million packages a day like other online retailers.
This was one thing I think I never really took into account!

I guess I'm just used to big box stores for my online shopping needs (and even CI and CBID) that I never really thought about this place really being just like my local family cigar lounge but instead of just serving their local community they get their hands on top quality HTF sticks for all the brothers out their and take their time and effort with a WAY shorter staff then any other big box place and get this all prepared to ship for us.

And in turn I complain about and extra 5 or 6 bucks in shipping ... guess it goes back to the thinking of .... I pay the extra few bucks for the "convienence fee" of this order plus this one place that really goes out of their way to get the HTF stuff that most don;t have for sale online and bring to all us BOTL out their.

I know am actually OK with spending the higher priced shipping!

Hey maybe I should just think of it the CBID way .... If I buy more the shipping stays the same!!! LOL

Thanks for all the feedback guys and I really am sorry for in a round about way starting all this by creating this thread ... But in my defense I really just wanted to know if they had some sort of coupon code!!! LOL

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Good conversation imo...puts back into perspective all the points you listed. Would never ask my local to ship and after seeing their main store first hand...can see why. Definitely not a CI or cbid.

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
falconman515
No worries bro my problem is about the same like when I was promised tats and a bundle of tat Mexicans. It was all about hearing nothing for a long time then when I contact them they ask me about the order they couldn't find it at first then I don't get what I was told I would. So I need to let it go as well they have apologized on the board after I sent them a link, should that be enough probably but I am still pissed and won't do business with them.

We all have our little quirks mine is my word I have never not done what I have said I would and if I did mess up I made it up in such a way they were still my friends.

So Happy 4th Everyone!

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So, in other words, the EXACT same thing every other internet shipper on the planet does?

Hell, I doubt he even puts as much work into packing the cigars as NHC does, yet charges over double, and is also a 1-2 guy operation.

If you guys want to make yourselves feel better about paying more money, that's perfectly fine. I'm sure there are several reasons why it costs so much, and much of it has to do with profit, op which admittedly there is little in the sales of cigars. But, welcome to the world of business where business' compete over sales, and concerning the competition over my pocket book, he lost.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes, the company shipping thousands of items a day gets a much better rate than an shop that doesn't ship much. TJ hit the nail on the head with his post IMO. The actual postage isn't the complete representation of what it costs the shop to send a package. USPS may be cheaper than UPS, but good luck resolving any problem that may arise with USPS. Many shops loose money shipping with UPS, but the added piece of mind that UPS will resolve problems is worth it.
It doesn't cost that much to ship UPS, simple as that. Also, we all order from tons of mom and pop locations every month. Places that are run by an extremely small staff, some of which don't even have a B&M to offset the costs. Yet, we get actual cost shipping, and the same prices on cigars...

If he were the only 1-2 man operation on the internet, I would laugh and happily say THAT is why it costs so much. But, he isn't, and it doesn't.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
UPS has gone up a ton since the beginning of this year. I ship via UPS daily at work and some of our customers whose shipping used to cost $8-9 now is up to $11-12. UPS isn't the cheapest way but it is what it is.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
So, in other words, the EXACT same thing every other internet shipper on the planet does?

Hell, I doubt he even puts as much work into packing the cigars as NHC does, yet charges over double, and is also a 1-2 guy operation.

If you guys want to make yourselves feel better about paying more money, that's perfectly fine. I'm sure there are several reasons why it costs so much, and much of it has to do with profit, op which admittedly there is little in the sales of cigars. But, welcome to the world of business where business' compete over sales, and concerning the competition over my pocket book, he lost.
It is what it is. The other businesses face the same thing, and all have a choice in how they handle it. Then it is up to us, as consumers to weigh that when we make a purchase. Some businesses choose to compete by rock bottom prices, others compete by having product nobody else does, heh

darkman

BoM May '10
Rating - 100%
358   0   0
Not sure what all the hub bub is about....pay the price or don't. But don't bitch about it. When its all said and done, we're talking about 5-6 bucks, from a vendor that has the market pretty much cornered on HTF and rare stuff. I've ordered a "few" times from them guys, and the product is shipped perfectly.

Truth be told.....Havnt been charged for shipping yet :)

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
No I don't believe all business's face the same issues some have higher overhead, some ship free but get the money by charging more or sharing warehouses there are endless way's to paint this, either buy from him or who you are happy with. The service I get is worth a few bucks more to me, in many cases I end up with a free hat or shirt. And I hate UPS and only use them when I have no other choice I always prefer USPO myself. That's one of the few things we do have a say in where we buy from and we all pick these business's for varied reasons.

Just like we all have an opinion on this I stand by mine, I may be wrong but it doesn't matter as this is never gonna be a provable thing it will always be just our opinions and it's okay with me as it is my money. Have a great week everyone! :waving:

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0

If he were the only 1-2 man operation on the internet, I would laugh and happily say THAT is why it costs so much. But, he isn't, and it doesn't.
I agree with TravelingJ, Craig Mac, smokemifugotem, and CO Smokes.

I want to point out the below since I believe there are few issues with the above quotations:
  1. If you ever talk to Dan at NHC he will tell you that his company was started to be an online humidor for those who don't have one close by. What does this mean? Trying to compare NHC to Top Quality Cigar is bad, since Top Quality is a website storefront for two B&Ms in the greater Chicago area (8-to-8 and Casa de Montecristo). NHC was conceived under a different service model with inherently different working capital needs, up-front investment costs, and underlining service/business processes. Again, from a business perspective the cost structures are completely different. In fact, I visit a lot of B&Ms across the United States due to my business travel and there is maybe 1 or 2 B&Ms that even comes close to what Casa de Montecristo offers to its customer-base. To infer that Top Quality Cigar is trying to generate additional profit margin from a shipping charge is laughable if you ever visit one of their B&Ms and consider the infrastructure investments that they made without it translating into higher cigar prices to its customer base. If Top Quality Cigar is truly trying to squeeze additional profit margin in shipping related activities, I think you would see this trend across other areas of their business, like its cigar prices.
  2. I took the time to figure out what the cost would be to ship a package to your address using an equivalent shipping methods. For NHC, the only comparable option is FedEx Home Delivery at $9.18. For Top Quality Cigar, UPS is at $11.29. If I was going to ship something to you using UPS, it is $13.12.* I used the same 5 cigar order and weight across all these examples. Where's the profit margin?

"Much of it has to do with profit" is your perceived opinion on Top Quality's shipping charges. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that fact. It’s unfortunate that Top Quality “lost” in the “competition over [your] pocket book.” If you want to argue that Top Quality Cigar should offer USPS as a shipping option so that you can save approximately $5, that's fine. But to argue that Top Quality Cigar is charging inflated UPS prices to generate higher profit margins is tenuous at best.

Speedbump

BoM June '10
Rating - 100%
537   0   0
Not sure what all the hub bub is about....pay the price or don't. But don't bitch about it. When its all said and done, we're talking about 5-6 bucks, from a vendor that has the market pretty much cornered on HTF and rare stuff. I've ordered a "few" times from them guys, and the product is shipped perfectly.

Truth be told.....Havnt been charged for shipping yet :)
Well put Jerome !

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would also like to add that after talking to Mark at Casa De Montecristo/TQC about their shipping, I found out that it was illegal and a federal crime apparently to ship cigars or tobacco products via the USPS because of the new PACT law or Child Protection Act because USPS does not verify the age of the recipient like UPS does and Casa De Montecristo is simply just trying to abide by the laws while trying to offer the best products and services to their customer. I was unaware of that law but now I know they do care about the customer and being a legitimate business so I will certainly shop there again after speaking to Mark seeing that he is a stand up guy running a legitimate business and has no control and makes no profit off of the shipping! Write your congressman gents...

Happy 4th brothers smoke em up!

smelvis

Not part of the clique
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
First off I love Top Quality Cigars

2nd your charts mean nothing unless they let you in their accounting office you can make any comparison look how you want. But other than being ignored we agree on the Vendor they are great. Maybe pie charts :) ROTFLMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.