What's new

Vintage DE Razors

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Scrubbing bubbles do a really good job of cleaning those razors along with a good soft brush. Just remember with these razors you need to apply no pressure. Make first pass with the grain. 2nd pass across the grain and a last 3rd pass against the grain. Remember to watch your angle and NO PRESSURE. Practice your technique and real soon you will throw away all those razors with $20 dollar blades. Get yourself a good brush and a couple of shaving soaps and shaving creams. Treat yourself. Turn a choice into an enjoyable ritual. Good luck.

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
I second the scrubbing bubbles. Funny thing is, in the beginning, I followed the 'no pressure' rule and got my share of cuts. Now I'm to a point where I can do whatever I want using as much pressure as i want, and i still get great shaves. I think you just develop a feel for it... And i mostly use feather blades.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I agree that once your technique is solid you can pretty much do what you want. Until then I strongly suggest no pressure. Work on the correct angle. After that is mastered then go for it. Feathers, while not my favorite, are very good blades.

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
i still have a really hard time with my neck. my hair grows at the worst possible angle. But some amazing shaves have been had for sure. I dont think I"ll have to buy a blade between now and the day I die.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I think I'm going to jump on the wet shave train, and I think I'm set on a Merkur for the razor, but I'm not sure what to look for in a brush or soap/mug. Any recommendations on places to shop and research?

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
for soaps, theres really 2 or 3 camps to fall into. 1) tallow based soaps, 2) glycerine based soaps, and 3) the other stuff. For tallow, tabac (in the bowl) is AMAZING. If you like glycerine, google Mama's Bear Soaps, that lady makes some AMAZING stuff. You can really go soap crazy.

For brushes, there are boar hair brushes, badger hair brushes, and synthetics. Badger seems to be the most popular, and there's loads to choose from.
Its a slippery slope.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kind of what I was afraid of. I'm a head shaver, too. Hopefully I can get good enough to make that work...

jkittle99

Josh
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
And you'd be cheating yourself if you didnt go to bath and body works and pick up a tube of their CO Bigelow Shave Cream in the big green tube. Use it with a brush - AMAZING.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm into DE razors myself. I currently use a 1946 Gillette Aristocrat. I also have a Gillette from 1918, one of the three piece ones. Not sure of the model of that one. The Arisocrat shaves much better due to the shear weight of the razor. The older one is real light, and you have to put more pressure on it. I plan on sending the Aristocrat off to Razor Emporium dot com and having it re plated with Rhodium.
I purchased both razors off eBay. Word to the wise, it's way cheaper just to buy a rebuilt/ re plated razor from somewhere like razor emporium than it is to buy an old one on eBay, and have it redone. That is, unless you know someone who electroplates for a living. My Aristocrat cost me about $50. To have it re plated is ~$120 with shipping and insurance. A refinished one ready to go is $140 shipped.

KLF

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A little secret : buy a bottle of glycerin and use a bit in your lather, it does wonders

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ive been wanting to get into the de world to save money. I don't like wasting money on the expensive 3-4 bladed razors that just scrap out after the first shave. I know it don't have the cool vintage vibe but I was considering the one the pawn stars guy has been hawking on tv and at walmart. Its going for like 15$ and comes with a bunch of extra blades. would this be decent to start with or should I hold out til I can get a good one? I don't want to cut my face up like Edward sissor hands trying to shave

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I saw a review on that one, and it's apparently kinda shoddy. I'm planning on investing $30-$40 on a Merkur 34c, as it's a pretty highly recommended entry level razor.

It seems that a good brush is more important than anything else. I'd spend my money there, if I was you.

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
k ill hold out. Would a vintage one be a good move if im not worried about restoring it all pretty and such? I just want something that will work and not cut me up.