What's new

Vintage DE Razors

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Search eBay for "Guillete safety razor". There are hundreds available and they last a lifetime. Super easy to clean up and make shinny too. These are over 60 years old, I paid about $25 each and I'll probably be leaving them to my future grand kids

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
sweet. man I remember my grand father having one of those. I wish I would of grabed it when he passed away but I didn't even think about it. I was pretty young back then. Ill have to get one when the budget allows it. Thanks again! might have to hit some estate auctions :)

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I'll second ebay for a vintage DE razor. I got a sweet super speed from the mid 50's for $30-40 (I can't remember exactly) that shaves great. I really like feather blades, but try a few different types and you'll find ones you'll like. If you go the super speed route, just be sure to check out he differences between the red-tip, blue-tip, black tip, etc. Some are more aggressive than others.

As for brushes, I bought a silvertip badger from Larry at WhippedDog dot com for $35 and it's fantastic. I also bought a $10 boar hair brush on Amazon and it works just fine. The differences to look for are how soft/scratchy (boar is rougher than badger, within badger silvertip is the softest, then best, then pure but the degrees of difference are small). You'll also want to look at size (height and width), the higher the knot, the more "floppy" it can tend to be which I find makes it harder to lather (but some people disagree).

Soaps: I love Mitchell's Wool Fat and Tabac, though both are a bit pricey. I also picked up a jar of Martin de Candre which is out of this world good (and has the price tag to match). Wet Shave Products makes a Rustic Shave Soap, that's really good and not very expensive.

I got into DE shaving to save money on blades...hasn't worked out that way as I've spent a lot more on soaps, brushes, razors, etc. But instead I've found better shaves and a much more enjoyable morning ritual. I'm just getting into straight edges, so we'll see how that goes. Nothing like holding a razor blade to your neck to wake you up in the morning!

Good luck and enjoy!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
That bottom one in XD's photo looks exactly like the one that I learned to shave with back in the early 70's. Basically my dad just gave me his old one and bought himself a newer model. I never did the shaving soap and brush thing though. I've always just used barbasol or other shaving cream.

This thread sure is making me feel nostalgic. :pompous:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, I have my startup order set. I was going to get the WSP starter kit, but it came with a brush that seemed marginal, and their "El Grande" razor got below average reviews. For $20 more than their price, I lined up a Merkur 34c razor, WSP Silvertip badger brush, a Col. Conk mug, and a cake of WSP's shaving soap (tobacco scent, of course). The mug also includes a cake of soap, so I can change it up if I want, and a pack of 50 derby blades was only $6. I may seek out a vintage razor after I develop technique, but right now I think learning with solid tools is more important than cool factor.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
So, I have my startup order set. I was going to get the WSP starter kit, but it came with a brush that seemed marginal, and their "El Grande" razor got below average reviews. For $20 more than their price, I lined up a Merkur 34c razor, WSP Silvertip badger brush, a Col. Conk mug, and a cake of WSP's shaving soap (tobacco scent, of course). The mug also includes a cake of soap, so I can change it up if I want, and a pack of 50 derby blades was only $6. I may seek out a vintage razor after I develop technique, but right now I think learning with solid tools is more important than cool factor.
If you don't like the Derby blades don't give up. They were too rough for me. Once I switched to feathers it was totally different.... Also don't cheat your face on thin lather. You'll get a lot of irritation.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Luckily my beard is the rather light, lays-down-flat type that a medium blade is rumored to be so nice for. I'm afraid Feathers will be too sharp, especially for my noob technique.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ok. I broke down and bought a 1940 Gillette Tech travel model, too. It's probably not going to be a daily, but it was cheap.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
These are the ones from the fleabay seller. Obviously there are also pics of the internals, but they're less relevant here.

I'm impressed at how clean it is, especially considering its age. It was a buy it now for under $20...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Luckily my beard is the rather light, lays-down-flat type that a medium blade is rumored to be so nice for. I'm afraid Feathers will be too sharp, especially for my noob technique.
I love the Blue Israeli Personna - not as sharp as feathers, but sharper than Astras or Derby (as far as I can tell).

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Definitely 2nd quarter 1960, since it's a safe bet your dad wasn't using a 1935 hand me down. Great shape, though!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
A couple new projects!

The slim is a J2 date code, no code on the aristocratic so that makes it 30's to 40's I think.....these are from my other grandfather.....need to figure out how to get those tarnish spots off.