What's new

Walk-in Humidor help

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I'm looking to build a Walk-in Closet humidor in my new house. Are there any sites that could help me with this? Would love to get some info on where to buy spanish cedar, humidification devices that can take care of a closet, and how to info on how to build one. My wife today seen the walk-in humi of Shaq today on cribs and thought it was classy. She gave me her blessing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Also PM Prometheus here, he built his from scratch and sure will give you inside information on the good, bad, and the ugly. His pics are posted also.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a big cabinet now. But this is a definate dream of mine someday. Maybe when the kids are gone and moved away !

Be sure to share pictures. I would like to see it while being built and at completion.

Congrats, on the room..

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think Mark has something in the works. At least it looks like that from all those links!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Guys, I really appreciate the help. The fact that the wife just woke up one day and said why dont you build a walk in floored me. This will be fun I will keep you posted.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just saw this thread, as Jason stated I would be happy to help with the walk in. They really are not that hard to figure out. I over thunk mine at first. PM a phone # to me and we'll talk.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
caudio51 said:
I think Mark has something in the works. At least it looks like that from all those links!
LOL! I have been trying to talk the wife into moving for a couple of years now, just planning ahead!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
N2Advnture said:
LOL! I have been trying to talk the wife into moving for a couple of years now, just planning ahead!
Good luck partner. I'm greasing the skids as well. I want a room like this guy, with one addition. Should have a smoke eater and ventalation to allow smoking indoors, year round. The next house will have to have a room that allows for the conversion.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Prometheus I appreciate the offer. I will definately need your help. I will be moving in 2 months and looking to start building in 3. Luckily my brother in law is a contractor and can help out a bit. Again appreciate the offer to help out.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
... Would love to get some info on where to buy spanish cedar,...
If you are going to leave your sticks in the cedar boxes that most of the better sticks come in, there is probably no need for you to buy any Spanish Cedar (actually a variety of mahogany, not cedar). FWIW.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
vperlman said:
If you are going to leave your sticks in the cedar boxes that most of the better sticks come in, there is probably no need for you to buy any Spanish Cedar (actually a variety of mahogany, not cedar). FWIW.
I wondered about that myself.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
IMO the only reason for adding sp cedar to a walkin would be to better control the humidity swings when the door is opened. If you are planning on doing this via panels to an existing wall make sure you use a good vapor barrier between the current wall and SCedar. This vapor barrier has to have no punctures or mold between it could become a BIG problem.

of course SCedar does smell pretty good as well :0) but for the cost of all that SCedar just think about howm many extra boxes you could buy to store in your new walk-in.

mikes

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Mikes said:
IMO the only reason for adding sp cedar to a walkin would be to better control the humidity swings when the door is opened. If you are planning on doing this via panels to an existing wall make sure you use a good vapor barrier between the current wall and SCedar. This vapor barrier has to have no punctures or mold between it could become a BIG problem.

of course SCedar does smell pretty good as well :0) but for the cost of all that SCedar just think about howm many extra boxes you could buy to store in your new walk-in.

mikes
Lots of good advice. I do think I will line it will spanish cedar. I never really thought about the vapor barrier but that makes sense.