What's new

Walk-in Humidor help

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Spanish Cedar is from the Mahogany family. That is why many humidors are made with Mahogany type of wood with just a thin sheet of the cedar. I believe Mahogany has similar mold resistant and RH control as well. From what I read, the cedar keeps best control of the beetles cause they do not like it (although they do seem to hatch easily within cigar boxes, so I digress). If I were doing an entire room with walls and floors, I would go for cost effectiveness, FWIW that's my .02, but I am still new.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Headbanger that's my understanding also. My understanding is that Spanish cedar is actually a type of Mahogony. Crap I was just watching House tonight with them talking about cedar wood/disease/and extreme pain. I scurrred very scurred.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I used marine grade mahogony. Mainly due to cost. A 4x8 sheet of spanish cedar veneer was 300. The mahogony was only 70 a sheet.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Prometheus said:
I used marine grade mahogony. Mainly due to cost. A 4x8 sheet of spanish cedar veneer was 300. The mahogony was only 70 a sheet.
Yea that makes a difference. I don't think my wife yet realizes how much this will cost.

WarriorPro

Partagas Addicted
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I ended up buying a large cabinet humidor. I figured I was way in over my head on this one.
LOL...I know the feeling bro. I ended up with all the cedar in the shed. I'm not sure what move to make right now.

I think I've about decided to build a walkin "within" a walkin area. We have a spare room and I'm thinking about just building a huge walkin like the walkin wine coolers they sell. That way I don't have to worry about any outer walls and mold...

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I ended up buying a large cabinet humidor. I figured I was way in over my head on this one.
Sounds like a wise move to me. As sexy as a walk-in would be, you can get a kick-ass cabinet w/temp & humi for probably what the wifey thought the built-in would cost (thereby preserving your marriage as well as your smokes).

They can hold up to 100 boxes, not counting hundreds more singles and really...how many do we need? (Gawd, it was hard to type that!)

You'll also have a beautiful piece of furnitue that you can put most anywhere, as well as take it with you if you move again.

Smart move!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thanks Rat, I think I made the right decision. Yea, Caudio the humidor came. I couldn't even set it up while in the box. I had to strip it of all the padding and cardboard then sit it up. 7 foot tall monster. Oh I love this hobby. :)

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
What humidor? I see no thread or no pics of it?!?! Just a figment of botl's imagination :wink: :hysterica

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
cvm4 said:
What humidor? I see no thread or no pics of it?!?! Just a figment of botl's imagination :wink: :hysterica
LOL...they will be coming soon. I want to get the humidor ready and filled. I am still waiting for the humidifer because I delayed buying one. I had no idea what kind I wanted or needed before I called to place an order for the humidor. I had always used beads. I'm glad I did a little research before just buying one.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
FPDoc77 said:
I couldn't even set it up while in the box. I had to strip it of all the padding and cardboard then sit it up. 7 foot tall monster.
Whoa! You did get a good one...that's awesome! Did I say 100 boxes? Ha! What is the capacity of a beast like this?

I think I'm just starting to get the inkling of the collecting aspect. I can easily see how this can snowball! Hey, build up a nice collection and it'll give them something fun to fight over at the reading of our will!