What's new

Well, that was quick. Newair or Whytner?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm only a few weeks back into cigars and my humi is about full. I'm probably going to go the wineador route so I've been looking online. Are there major differences between NewAir and Whytner or is it Ford vs Chevy?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm only a few weeks back into cigars and my humi is about full. I'm probably going to go the wineador route so I've been looking online. Are there major differences between NewAir and Whytner or is it Ford vs Chevy?
I mean, Ford's typically hold the humidity levels longer but you risk rust and mold setting into your cigars. Chevy on the hand has a pretty solid atmosphere for cigars but they are too easy to break into and you end up losing a bunch of cigars. That being said, I'd buy both and see what you can manage out of them.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have experience with newair customer service and I am pleased with the product. What is the ambient temperature in its location. Both products are only good for about a 15 degee drop

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have experience with newair customer service and I am pleased with the product. What is the ambient temperature in its location. Both products are only good for about a 15 degee drop
The room stays right around 70 year round.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Either or, but as others mentioned it depends on how much you'll be needing to use the cooling or fan. I basically run mine on a time 5 or 10 min at a clip a few times a day, and humidity holds no issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You probably don't even need a unit if you keep the area at 70. Spend the $ on an ice chest and cigars or if you want to show off your smokes another Humidor.
I'm not opposed to the Coolidor concept but I keep my cigars in my home office and I'm not so sure my wife would tolerate a cooler there,no matter how good it looks. If I don't need a wineador I guess I'm back to a traditional humi. I need one that will hold a fair amount of sticks (300-400) and I don't want to spend all of my time trying to maintain humidity.

Any advice would be welcome.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Keep the cooler with the majority of your cigars in a closet and the cigars you want to smoke in a nice desktop humidor. I also see some nice small cabinet or trunk type humidors on Craigslist occasionally if you want to save a couple bucks.

You have a real advantage with the temperature so you have a lot of options. Check the humidity in your office if it's close to what you want for your cigars a humidor is easy to control. We don't know the $ you are willing to spend, how important it is to you to keep the wife happy or how much you want your cigars to be on display. Beads and Bovedas are wonderful things, buy plenty of either!!

Good luck

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the cooler with the majority of your cigars in a closet and the cigars you want to smoke in a nice desktop humidor. I also see some nice small cabinet or trunk type humidors on Craigslist occasionally if you want to save a couple bucks.

You have a real advantage with the temperature so you have a lot of options. Check the humidity in your office if it's close to what you want for your cigars a humidor is easy to control. We don't know the $ you are willing to spend, how important it is to you to keep the wife happy or how much you want your cigars to be on display. Beads and Bovedas are wonderful things, buy plenty of either!!

Good luck
Happy wife=happy life. The ambient rH runs around 15 in winter, higher in summer but nowhere near where it needs to be for cigars. The closet cooler and desktop humidor is a good idea. Budget is topped out in the neighborhood of $400. I'm using Bovedas in my humidor now but I'm transitioning to beads.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yea, that's pretty dry. When it gets in the 40's around here during the winter I have to run a humidifier in the bedroom or I get nosebleeds. I can only imagine what it's like at 15. Cheap Humidors is always running sales and may have something you can swing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea, that's pretty dry. When it gets in the 40's around here during the winter I have to run a humidifier in the bedroom or I get nosebleeds. I can only imagine what it's like at 15. Cheap Humidors is always running sales and may have something you can swing.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For what it's worth: I bought a NewAir about six months ago. I've been pretty happy with it and haven't had any problems at all. I live in a condo in Miami and our indoor temperature is almost always above 74 degrees (though with quite low humidity because the AC runs almost every day). The NewAir has no problem keeping 65 degrees. It makes a little noise, but only a little. (It's in the corner of my bedroom and I have no problem sleeping with the sound of it.)

I seasoned it by putting a dish of fairly warm water on the floor of the unit, and swapping the shelves and drawers around a couple times a day. (This was done, by the way, with the wineador turned off.) After less than a week (some folks will tell you not to rush it, but whatever) I loaded it up with cigars and put in two 320 gram Bovedas, one on the top shelf and another on the floor. Those same two Bovedas are still still going strong.

For the first few weeks I fanatically checked the hygrometer (a calibrated Caliber IV) and saw a few minor differences between the shelves, but nothing that bothered me too much. But what do I know?

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I just got the new air... it’s still seasoning but sadly went shopping uncontrollably and it’s already gonna be filled before it’s finished seasoning.
Like mine. If you don’t need the cooling and want the everything else to work including the interior circ fan let me know and I’ll let you know which wires to unhook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I got a nice little 12 bottle wine fridge on amazon for maybe 80$ Shipped. I don’t even plug it in but it looks great and holds humidity like a champ. My place is always between 68 and 72 degrees so no need to run up the electricity bill by plugging it in.