What's new

What are you reading

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Well there were a few factors to this one, but it all came to a head about his dog. He neglects her physically and emotionally so she started to get really attached to me because i would walk her every day and tell her shes a good girl. So today he threatened to use physical violence unless i stop being nice to his dog, or hell throw my stuff outside and call the cops.
He is the single most ungrateful person Ive ever met, and i was never unkind to him or his dog in any way.
That is extremely strange. I hope you find something a little better, soon. You could write a story about that. Once, when i was like 19 or 20, i moved in with a couple of "recovering" dope addicts, one of which had become a compulsive gambler and the other one got a job at a methadone clinic to steal methadone. So we were all dirt poor, and i came up with two bucks and gave it to the gambler to buy some milk so we could eat cereal. He came back with the $1.50 worth of milk and i asked for the 50¢ change back to go play mortal Kombat. He got super offended and said i was no longer allowed to touch a single thing they owned, from silverware to furniture. So the only thing i cared about was the phone so i stole a phone (pre-cellphone days) from Walmart so i could call all the fine honeys that were into (basically) homeless hip hopping graffiti writers (a lot, surprisingly). So there i was, phone plugged into the wall in my room and it worked fine, and i left for an hour. I tried to make a call when i got back and the phone didn't work anymore. No dial tone, no lights on the keypad, nothing. Then i notice some paint slivers on the floor under the phone jack. I unscrew the plate from the wall to find that while i was gone the guy had cut the wire leading to my jack in the wall. He denied it, of course. That was the first time in my life i tried applying a spiritual fix to my problems with other people, rather than some devious secret pooping in his winter boots or something. Ahhhh, life. Good times.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
That is extremely strange. I hope you find something a little better, soon. You could write a story about that. Once, when i was like 19 or 20, i moved in with a couple of "recovering" dope addicts, one of which had become a compulsive gambler and the other one got a job at a methadone clinic to steal methadone. So we were all dirt poor, and i came up with two bucks and gave it to the gambler to buy some milk so we could eat cereal. He came back with the $1.50 worth of milk and i asked for the 50¢ change back to go play mortal Kombat. He got super offended and said i was no longer allowed to touch a single thing they owned, from silverware to furniture. So the only thing i cared about was the phone so i stole a phone (pre-cellphone days) from Walmart so i could call all the fine honeys that were into (basically) homeless hip hopping graffiti writers (a lot, surprisingly). So there i was, phone plugged into the wall in my room and it worked fine, and i left for an hour. I tried to make a call when i got back and the phone didn't work anymore. No dial tone, no lights on the keypad, nothing. Then i notice some paint slivers on the floor under the phone jack. I unscrew the plate from the wall to find that while i was gone the guy had cut the wire leading to my jack in the wall. He denied it, of course. That was the first time in my life i tried applying a spiritual fix to my problems with other people, rather than some devious secret pooping in his winter boots or something. Ahhhh, life. Good times.
Hahaha man thats nuts! Im glad I havent had it quite that bad. Well the news is good, after gettin booted by my fiance and 2 crazy roommates all in 3 months, i am currently in my wonderful new home with great, kind roommates, I got a chick who knocks me out, a good new job, and things are lookin up.
Also, so as to not derail the thread too much, I'mnearing the end of Elmer Gantry by Sinclair Lewis, and am eagerly awaiting jumping into the pile of lesser known Herman Hesse novels new to my shelf -- Knulp, Roshalde, and Gertrude. I absolutely adore Herman Hesse. Every time I read one of his books, a character will voice an odd or abstract thought I have had for years, and it just floors me.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Does anyone ITT read self betterment books? James Allen-esque stuff? I'm looking for something to read that fits into this niche, but that is a bit lighter on the mind for easy reading.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Does anyone ITT read self betterment books? James Allen-esque stuff? I'm looking for something to read that fits into this niche, but that is a bit lighter on the mind for easy reading.
I'm trying to refocus my life and priorities through the lens of the "AA Big Book." It's improving my life with every page. You don't have to be in AA to get the lessons out of it. It constantly challenges me to to think less of myself and more of others. The Big Book helps me take a hammer to my ego, a lot like the New Testament.

Just throwing those out there brother! ;)

-jason

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
One thing I have missed about my old job,(Captain), I used to read 10 to 15 books a month, often two or more at a time. With my new job, I spend a lot of time writing, creating text books and such, I don't read as much as I did. My last text book was on MODU (mobile offshore drilling unit) stability. Very much based on ship stability with a few changes because of constantly shifting material during drilling. From inserting mud into the drill stem, to adding and removing pipe during the drill process. Fortunately this is a computerized process, but you still have to understand what happens when you move or remove something on a floating object.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
So i haven't read James Allen, so i may be way off the mark here, so forgive me if I'm errant. But as for an easy reading self-betterment book i can't recommend enough Illusions by Richard Bach. Again, never read Allen nor do i know anything about him, but i know that this book had a tremendous impact on my life.

memphsdad

But I don't live in Memphis
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
So i haven't read James Allen, so i may be way off the mark here, so forgive me if I'm errant. But as for an easy reading self-betterment book i can't recommend enough Illusions by Richard Bach. Again, never read Allen nor do i know anything about him, but i know that this book had a tremendous impact on my life.
Allen is a good read (especially As A Man Thinketh), but I find myself having to re-read sentences 2 and 3 times when trying to grasp his concepts due to the dated style of writing. I am looking for something a bit easier to get through when I am relaxing, smoking a cigar, or getting ready to hit the sack. I will check Illusions out.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Currently reading Andrew Robert's biography of Napoleon. Kinda upends a lot of the ideas people have of Napoleon in their minds, largely based on better research and a lot of Napoleon's letters. Fascinating read.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This a good book. Good reflection on humanity told from the point of view of a dog.
Also good if you are a fan of racing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just started reading Cosmos by Carl Sagan.
WOW.
Some seriously mind-blowing stuff, and the writing is so accessible to someone with no scientific background.
Anyone wants it when I'm done let me know
Easily one of my favorite people. Too bad he left us so early. The TV show was great as well. The remake with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is good, but not nearly as good as the original.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Easily one of my favorite people. Too bad he left us so early. The TV show was great as well. The remake with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is good, but not nearly as good as the original.

Haven't seen either, but the original is for sure on my list. Eventually I hope to get into some of the older texts mentioned in cosmos, I have a copy of Origin of the Species and Origins of Scientific Thought, but I'm just not quite there yet. Soon.

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I received a copy of "The Idiots Guide to Cigars" today, so that is on my reading list now. I also I received a copy of "Repenting of Religion" by Gregory A. Boyd, is on the list also!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
For you SK fans, I'd recommend his Gunslinger series . The intertwining of his previous work with the world's of Roland and his ka'tet was fun, entertaining , and gripping. I totally enjoyed them over the years as they were published .
So I finished the Gunslinger in a few days. It was pretty confusing and I was lost alot. I like to know exactly what is going on and the Gunslinger leaves you wondering and confused.

I read afterwards that it reads easier as seperate short stories about Roland since that's originally how it was published by King at 19yo.

Now I started the 2nd book, The Drawing of the Three. WOW! Can't put it down!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
IMG_0029.JPG
Absolutely burned through Rosshalde, now starting Gertrude. I seriously cannot recommend Hesse enough.
Also as an added bonus, the first picture of my htf collection on botl!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Neuromancer - William Gibson

It is definitely dated. The story is still good enough to make me check out the next in the trilogy.

I'm also reading,
Shadowrun: Spells and Chrome (Shadowrun Anthology Book One)

A cyberpunk/fantasy collection of short stories based in the Shadowrun game world. The quality is higher than I expected.