What's new

What are You Spinning?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
So, I have some cool old vinyl I got from a family member but no way to play it. Any recommendations for a decent record player that isn’t super expensive?
I would recommend ANYTHING other than a player that is advertised as an "all-in-one". For example, all Crosley brand players are absolute crap and will destroy your records.

That said, I think a great first turntable is an Audio Technica AT-LP60. Amazon has them for $99 and they work great. If you pair that turntable with a set of powered bookshelf speakers (like Edifier's R1280T), you'll be rocking out for an all in cost of around $200! I bought my mom this exact setup for one of her Christmas gifts this year and was blown away by how good the setup sounded.

But again, and I can't stress this enough, never buy an all-in-one player.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I would recommend ANYTHING other than a player that is advertised as an "all-in-one". For example, all Crosley brand players are absolute crap and will destroy your records.

That said, I think a great first turntable is an Audio Technica AT-LP60. Amazon has them for $99 and they work great. If you pair that turntable with a set of powered bookshelf speakers (like Edifier's R1280T), you'll be rocking out for an all in cost of around $200! I bought my mom this exact setup for one of her Christmas gifts this year and was blown away by how good the setup sounded.

But again, and I can't stress this enough, never buy an all-in-one player.
Ok, should have specified that I’m not interested in an all in one. That’s what’s turned me off while looking for inexpensive solutions. I have a reciever, amp and speakers. Just looking at turntables. I’ll check out the one you suggested, thanks!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I’ll check out the one you suggested, thanks!
Anytime!

Let me know when you get them in hand and how they play.
Just received 2 of the albums and they sound great!
  • B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King
  • Jaco Pastorius - Anthology
Thanks again for the recommendation of InSound.com, @Burnaz16!

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
So, I have some cool old vinyl I got from a family member but no way to play it. Any recommendations for a decent record player that isn’t super expensive?
I’m not sure what your idea of “super expensive” is, but I recommend U-Turn Audio. They’re making some awesome audiophile turntables for about $250. I did a lot of research when I bought and that’s the route I ended up going. I’m very glad I did.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I’m not sure what your idea of “super expensive” is, but I recommend U-Turn Audio. They’re making some awesome audiophile turntables for about $250. I did a lot of research when I bought and that’s the route I ended up going. I’m very glad I did.
I actually picked up the one bwhite recommend, amazon had an open box deal for 85 bucks. I just haven’t had a chance to finish setting it up. I appreciate the recommendation though!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I used to have an AT-120 table. For the price they are hard to beat. They used to be considered the poor mans Technics SL1200.

I noticed some playing with the dust cover down. You might try removing it sometime. It can cause small vibrations, which can cause minute vibration to the stylus while playing. It was noticeable to my ears. I began removing the dustcover completely and only set it on the table when it's not in use.

@bwhite220 how do you like your record weight? I think they make a very noticeable difference and tighten things up.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I recommend U-Turn Audio. They’re making some awesome audiophile turntables for about $250.
If and when my AT-LP120 dies (God forbid), I am going to replace it with a U-Turn Audio. Specifically, the U-Turn Orbit Special with the Walnut plinth (click here).

I used to have an AT-120 table. For the price they are hard to beat. They used to be considered the poor mans Technics SL1200.
Couldn't agree more! I absolutely love mine and have zero complaints about it. That being said, I've never used a high-end ($450+) turntable so I don't truly know what I'm missing out on. The LP120 with a few upgrades (cartridge, mat, and disc stabilizer - in that order) is a terrific sounding table and I can't recommend it enough.

I noticed some playing with the dust cover down. You might try removing it sometime. It can cause small vibrations, which can cause minute vibration to the stylus while playing. It was noticeable to my ears. I began removing the dustcover completely and only set it on the table when it's not in use.
Interesting! I've never even thought about that. I'll start trying it and will report back what my ears tell me.

@bwhite220 how do you like your record weight? I think they make a very noticeable difference and tighten things up.
I love it. And you're right, between the weight/stabilizer and also the cork mat on the platter, the sound is noticeably tighter and punchier.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Brandon, if you ever run across a carbon fiber mat, grab it. I have used rubber, cork and carbon fiber. The CF was the best of the 3 with cork 2nd.
When I was in to audio, I don't think the U-Turn table was out yet. Back then a new AT 120LP was about $200. What cartridge are you using?

@bwhite220

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Brandon, if you ever run across a carbon fiber mat, grab it. I have used rubber, cork and carbon fiber. The CF was the best of the 3 with cork 2nd.
I've used felt, leather, and cork so far and the cork mat is far and away the best sounding to me. I've not tried CF yet but I'll keep an eye out!

What cartridge are you using?
I was using the Ortofon 2M Red but it got damaged and I've been using the At95e cartridge that came with my LP-120. I need to replace it but I keep buying albums instead. haha!

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I've used felt, leather, and cork so far and the cork mat is far and away the best sounding to me. I've not tried CF yet but I'll keep an eye out!

I was using the Ortofon 2M Red but it got damaged and I've been using the At95e cartridge that came with my LP-120. I need to replace it but I keep buying albums instead. haha!
Those are both nice sounding cartridges. Do they still make the AT440Mla? If so, they are also very good, maybe a little brighter than the Ortofom Red and definately brighter than the 95e. I also used a Goldring 1042 for several years and it was very nice, though kind of pricey. My favorite that I have owned is a moving coil Denon 103R. Needs a step up transformer if all you have is Moving Magnet phono section in your preamp or receiver.

Audio is a very slippery slope!

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Those are both nice sounding cartridges. Do they still make the AT440Mla? If so, they are also very good, maybe a little brighter than the Ortofom Red and definately brighter than the 95e. I also used a Goldring 1042 for several years and it was very nice, though kind of pricey. My favorite that I have owned is a moving coil Denon 103R. Needs a step up transformer if all you have is Moving Magnet phono section in your preamp or receiver.

Audio is a very slippery slope!
Admittedly, when you get into the arena of Cartridges, I get a little lost. I bought the Ortofon 2M Red a few years ago based on reviews and to see if this $100 upgrade that everyone talks about really made a difference. ...it did. (y)

But I know nothing about moving magnets, step up transformers, or the crazy high-end cartridges. That's a whole different realm that I am not ready for. haha. I did look up the cartridges that you mentioned and found:
  • the AT440Mla is on Amazon for $488
  • the Denon 103R is on Amazon for around $380
  • and the Goldring 1042 is on NeedleDoctor.com for $675
Bro! Do you know how many cigars or albums or woodworking tools I could buy for the kind of money you spent just on cartridges!? You are on a level I hope to be on one day, my friend! :)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Admittedly, when you get into the arena of Cartridges, I get a little lost. I bought the Ortofon 2M Red a few years ago based on reviews and to see if this $100 upgrade that everyone talks about really made a difference. ...it did. (y)

But I know nothing about moving magnets, step up transformers, or the crazy high-end cartridges. That's a whole different realm that I am not ready for. haha. I did look up the cartridges that you mentioned and found:
  • the AT440Mla is on Amazon for $488
  • the Denon 103R is on Amazon for around $380
  • and the Goldring 1042 is on NeedleDoctor.com for $675
Bro! Do you know how many cigars or albums or woodworking tools I could buy for the kind of money you spent just on cartridges!? You are on a level I hope to be on one day, my friend! :)
Wow, they have gone WAY up.
When I bought-
AT440Mla- $110
Goldring 1042-$240
Denon 103R-$275
This was around 2005-2009.
I couldn't afford them at their current price. I was really pushing it at the old prices. But a good cartridge, set up correctly can make a TON of difference in sound.