What's new

What are your go to 'cheaper' brands??

GVH

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Much good advice. I second PDR's, Genesis, MOW, and anything Oliva. I am a bargain shopper and avoid Gurkha at all costs, though many are fans. Cigars Intl has good deals daily, so does Cigar Monster and CBid.
I third PDR! You can get the Serie 1939 on Cigar Auctioneer for $23 for 10 sticks.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Forgot about the La Perla Morados, of you like Cameroon (me love, that is why I still love the Hemingway) they are good. A bit of a punch in the nose and not super dimensional, but great value. Quality on the PDR sticks is always impeccable, and though not upper echelon, you can't go wrong. Genesis has really a strong (ie good) cigar, I recommend them again. Let regular MOW's sit for a while and they are damn good. Welcome to the brotherhood, best forum going. Everyone is great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! You folks are amazing! Thank you everyone for all the great input and advice. I've already started chipping away at some of the repeat suggestions. I hit the B&M the other day and picked up a couple A. Fuente sticks, and won a MUWAT and some Olivas from CBid (which I am dangerously in love with now!!). Looking forward to my day off tomorrow so I can relax with some home brews and good cigars :)
Which MUWAT???
I got a +11 for $5 on cigarbid, can't wait til that one comes in :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but is PDR just an abbreviation for Pinar del Rio? I've got one of each in my humidor right now from a sampler, wondering if they're the same brand or two different ones...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but is PDR just an abbreviation for Pinar del Rio? I've got one of each in my humidor right now from a sampler, wondering if they're the same brand or two different ones...
Yes, PDR is Pinar del Rio, usually blended by owner Abe Flores. I used to really like his stuff for everyday smokes, but have gotten tired of his core line. A couple years ago you could win his core line for a buck a stick pretty much at will, over on Cbid. I'll still smoke his 1878 capa maduro & oscuro (the ones with the double bands and large pigtails), which I feel are some of the best he's blended. Nothing wrong with the core line for everyday cheapies, but again, I just grew tired of them.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Yes, PDR is Pinar del Rio, usually blended by owner Abe Flores. I used to really like his stuff for everyday smokes, but have gotten tired of his core line. A couple years ago you could win his core line for a buck a stick pretty much at will, over on Cbid. I'll still smoke his 1878 capa maduro & oscuro (the ones with the double bands and large pigtails), which I feel are some of the best he's blended. Nothing wrong with the core line for everyday cheapies, but again, I just grew tired of them.
I'm a big fan of the PDR 1878 Oscuros.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I usually get all my sticks at Holts, which is my local BM, which runs an everyday sale of buy four get one free of the same price so I never just buy one. It brings the price down and let's you make a sampler since you can do it as many times as you want. As far as cheaper everyday sticks I like the Padron 5000or 7000which are both under 8 bucks. I like Fuente 858's and Old Henry are not bad for around 5bucks a stick.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I'm a certified card-carrying cheapass.

My regular good cigars:
Diesel - Unlimited. Maybe others, but I liked the red banded ones so much I just stuck with em. Didn't care for the light blue band (hair of dog?) but that was several months ago when I first got into cigars so who knows if taste has changed
Ramon Bueso Odyssey and Genesis (on my second box of Odyssey and third box of Genesis. Need to order another box of Odyssey, only 4 left)
Man O War - all of em. Seriously, every vitola under this name has satisfied. Puro Authenticos are probably at the top of that list.
Oliva ..... one of the most underrated cigar companies out there.
J Fuego Origens are my go-to yard gar/disposable cigar... I'll smoke one of these when I'm on call or doing something where I might need to toss it early.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Man O War - all of em. Seriously, every vitola under this name has satisfied. Puro Authenticos are probably at the top of that list.
Oliva ..... one of the most underrated cigar companies out there.
These two statements are so true. The MoW Ruination is an incredible smoke for the cost.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Love Oliva, not a big MoW guy. In fact, I'm one of the very few people I know who absolutely can't stand the Puro Authentico.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Love Oliva, not a big MoW guy. In fact, I'm one of the very few people I know who absolutely can't stand the Puro Authentico.
You too? AJ Fernandez is one of my favorite blenders. And puro authentico is the only blend I don't smoke on a regular basis (can't stand it, tbh).

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ortega Series D Maduro- I can smoke those all day/everyday @ 5 to 6 bucks.
Nica Rustica @ cigarbandits.com for 5 @ $23- Awesome smoke.
Liga Undercrown on CigarMonster for around $5.
I do like MoW but they need some rest in the humi, imho.
Good luck!