What's new

What Coffees Are You Drinking?

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
How accurate are those tasting notes? I just got in a bunch of green coffee to roast and the Ethiopian I grabbed touts flavors of chocolate covered berry with a strawberry milk note on the finish. I need to hurry and get some of that roasted to see.
I'm going to give my opinion on tasting notes for green coffee. When it comes to green coffee, the notes are potential, not guaranteed. Different roasting machines (e.g. Fluid bed, drum, hybrids) highlight coffee in different ways. Then you have roast degree and profile that separates roasts (of the same coffee) even more. Also, as a roaster.. you need to have the ability to develop the coffee properly in knowledge and machine control. So when I look at buying green coffee.. I'd pay more attention to the regions you prefer and the quality (potential) of the green beans you are sourcing. The actual taste/aroma of that bean may vary widely. Technically what you are buying is potential, the results are going to be based on your machine, your personal abilities, the profile you go with and in the end, your taste buds.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm going to give my opinion on tasting notes for green coffee. When it comes to green coffee, the notes are potential, not guaranteed. Different roasting machines (e.g. Fluid bed, drum, hybrids) highlight coffee in different ways. Then you have roast degree and profile that separates roasts (of the same coffee) even more. Also, as a roaster.. you need to have the ability to develop the coffee properly in knowledge and machine control. So when I look at buying green coffee.. I'd pay more attention to the regions you prefer and the quality (potential) of the green beans you are sourcing. The actual taste/aroma of that bean may vary widely. Technically what you are buying is potential, the results are going to be based on your machine, your personal abilities, the profile you go with and in the end, your taste buds.
Well I roasted a small batch in my air popper last night of the Yirga Cheffe I had mentioned prior. While what I'm tasting isn't exactly what their notes state (which makes total sense to me), it's a decent baseline or approximate expectation of what you can get out of the bean. Things like "chocolate, caramel/toffee, citrus" tend to be pretty accurate when I order from Sweet Maria's. I am very surprised that the "strawberry milk" finish they listed for this one I'm actually tasting though.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I roasted a small batch in my air popper last night of the Yirga Cheffe I had mentioned prior. While what I'm tasting isn't exactly what their notes state (which makes total sense to me), it's a decent baseline or approximate expectation of what you can get out of the bean. Things like "chocolate, caramel/toffee, citrus" tend to be pretty accurate when I order from Sweet Maria's. I am very surprised that the "strawberry milk" finish they listed for this one I'm actually tasting though.
I've been told this is the next slope I'm going down

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I'm glad it worked out that way for you B

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
What kind of popper do you use/recommend? I need to start doing this.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
What kind of popper do you use/recommend? I need to start doing this.
First, check your local thrift shop for cheap air poppers, make sure the popper doesn't have a mesh center in the bottom of the roaster where the hot air come out, you want one that that has angled slots all around the sides of the bottom where the hot air comes out. I can take a pic of mine when I get home if you want. If you can't find one at a thrift shop, the West Bend Air Crazy popper works well. The down side to air poppers is that they only roast a maximum of 4oz at a time which doesn't last long. If you drink a lot of coffee, I suggest skipping the air popper and buying a stove top whirley popper that can roast up to a pound at one time.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
First, check your local thrift shop for cheap air poppers, make sure the popper doesn't have a mesh center in the bottom of the roaster where the hot air come out, you want one that that has angled slots all around the sides of the bottom where the hot air comes out. I can take a pic of mine when I get home if you want. If you can't find one at a thrift shop, the West Bend Air Crazy popper works well. The down side to air poppers is that they only roast a maximum of 4oz at a time which doesn't last long. If you drink a lot of coffee, I suggest skipping the air popper and buying a stove top whirley popper that can roast up to a pound at one time.
I've read those whirly poppers don't handle lighter roasts very well. Have you tried that method? I've read a ton about home roasting, but have never actually talked to anyone who has done it.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've read those whirly poppers don't handle lighter roasts very well. Have you tried that method? I've read a ton about home roasting, but have never actually talked to anyone who has done it.
I prefer light to medium roasts and the whirley popper does just fine. They don't roast as even if you are doing smaller batches (like 1/4lb or 1/2lb). For a lighter roast you are simply pulling the beans from the heat sooner than you would for a darker roast. With the whirley popper you control your temperature and can shorten or lengthen the roast time which will affect the flavor and complexity. In an air popper, you can't do that unless you do some heavy modification. My next project is mounting a heat gun to a bread machine to make a frankenroaster.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received and made my first pour over of Maquina coffee. It was amazing. All the other coffee nerds should give it a shot.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
currently going through some single origin Peruvian, not one of my favorites but still good. Going to roast up some Mexican this weekend.

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
This place is dangerous! It's not bad enough my cigar collection has tripled since joining, now I come in here looking for a new coffee to try and wind up looking at popcorn poppers and green beans. Here we go again.

With a hot air popper, how long will it take me to roast a half pound of beans?

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Zambia beans I roasted to city + ,excellent flavors and a slight citrus finish.

have a batch of Congolese to roast this weekend...