What's new

What did you shoot today?

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
My next door neighbor and I are going to the range this morning. He is mid 30's and ha never fired or handled a firearm. He has a fear of guns, but also has an interest in learning about them.
We will focus on safety and how to aim. Then we will shoot some out of my old Remington 512 Sportmaster .22 on the 25 yd range and go from there. But safety will be stressed at all times.
New shooters are always fun and scary at the same time!

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The fear of guns can go either way. I don't like taking new people out who are scared of guns, RESPECT for guns is much better in my opinion.

Stupid Tapatalk
We just got home and it went very well. It's a 30 minute drive to the range and on drive we talked about safety and how to handle a gun safely.
Turns out he wasn't actually afraid of guns, he just knew little about them. He listened closely and did very well safety wise. He took his targets home to show his wife. We had a great time and I think he got bit by the gun bug.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
IMG_2681.JPG IMG_2682.JPG

I only shot 2 10 shot groups yesterday, both at 50yds using a front bag off of a bench. Top is with my Anchutz MSR RX22 Precision and a lower model Zeiss scope.
Bottom pic is with our families old (40's) Remington 512 bolt action, iron sights,tube fed rifle that I learned to shoot with back in the 50's. Both are fun accurate rifles and I think I still shoot reasonably well for an old 65 year old who doesn't wear eyeglasses or contacts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 119399 View attachment 119400

I only shot 2 10 shot groups yesterday, both at 50yds using a front bag off of a bench. Top is with my Anchutz MSR RX22 Precision and a lower model Zeiss scope.
Bottom pic is with our families old (40's) Remington 512 bolt action, iron sights,tube fed rifle that I learned to shoot with back in the 50's. Both are fun accurate rifles and I think I still shoot reasonably well for an old 65 year old who doesn't wear eyeglasses or contacts.
Nice groups.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
View attachment 119399 View attachment 119400

LOL. I turn the target too when I'm shooting LOW left. Looks better that way!!

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I turn the target too when I'm shooting LOW left. Looks better that way!!
Good grouping I was just busting yo balls. How far you shooting on those out of curiosity?
Grouping is the hard part of shooting. Grouping shots shows consistency. If you are off target, you can have a sight problem or a problem at trigger pull. Both of those problems can be corrected with practice and technology.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Get to marry this sexy sharpshooter in 16 days...
Looks like Elm Fork...

Thats where I usually go for trap/skeet/sporting clays.. and occasionally to shoot long guns..

The public range in Garland is closer for me.. so thats where I go 90% of the time for long guns (although its not nearly as nice as Elm Fork)..

And I usually hit Frisco Gun Club for pistol if thats all I am shooting..

iam6884

Layne
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Looks like Elm Fork...

Thats where I usually go for trap/skeet/sporting clays.. and occasionally to shoot long guns..

The public range in Garland is closer for me.. so thats where I go 90% of the time for long guns (although its not nearly as nice as Elm Fork)..

And I usually hit Frisco Gun Club for pistol if thats all I am shooting..
Elm Fork is right. Honestly, as nice as the setup is, I don't like going due to how many unsafe idiots I come across out there. I'm currently looking for a new range as the one I was a member of outside Forney was shut down.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Grouping is the hard part of shooting. Grouping shots shows consistency. If you are off target, you can have a sight problem or a problem at trigger pull. Both of those problems can be corrected with practice and technology.
I think a minor scope adjustment would center the group up. I was aiming at the center of the red on my shots I was consistently a little low/ right with the scoped gun. Wil the open sites it's just as close as I can guess it. Also with the scoped Anschutz it likes Lapua Center X. In the old Remington i was shooting CCI Standard Velocity which is about 1/5th the price of Lapua.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Elm Fork is right. Honestly, as nice as the setup is, I don't like going due to how many unsafe idiots I come across out there. I'm currently looking for a new range as the one I was a member of outside Forney was shut down.
I agree on the abundance of idiots... sadly though, I'm not sure you can escape them.. there's always at least a couple pretty much everywhere you go..

Elm Fork is just a bit of a haul for me.. Im in Allen.. Frisco and Garland are a lot closer and usually less busy.. so I tend to go there more often.. and only hit Elm Fork if I'm wanting to do some shotgun work, or if I am wanting to shoot my bow, while also wanting to shoot pistols/rifles..

Not sure if you do archery or not.. but most people dont realize there are 2 archery ranges on the back of Elm Fork.. they are owned by the Texas Archery Academy (same guys that have a big archery range in Plano and in McKinney).. if you are a TAA member, shooting bows at Elm Fork is free...

The 3D archery range @ Elm Fork is a bit run down.. but.. its convenient if youre already going to be there anyway.. Thats where I usually do last minute tweaks and adjustments and get a little extra practice in just before archery season opens here in TX

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I agree on the abundance of idiots... sadly though, I'm not sure you can escape them.. there's always at least a couple pretty much everywhere you go..

Elm Fork is just a bit of a haul for me.. Im in Allen.. Frisco and Garland are a lot closer and usually less busy.. so I tend to go there more often.. and only hit Elm Fork if I'm wanting to do some shotgun work, or if I am wanting to shoot my bow, while also wanting to shoot pistols/rifles..

Not sure if you do archery or not.. but most people dont realize there are 2 archery ranges on the back of Elm Fork.. they are owned by the Texas Archery Academy (same guys that have a big archery range in Plano and in McKinney).. if you are a TAA member, shooting bows at Elm Fork is free...

The 3D archery range @ Elm Fork is a bit run down.. but.. its convenient if youre already going to be there anyway.. Thats where I usually do last minute tweaks and adjustments and get a little extra practice in just before archery season opens here in TX
What hunts do you have lined up so far this fall?