What's new

What did you shoot today?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite big boar round! Only one that's ever scope bit me.
Ouch.
I have a good 90mm of eye relief, the gun is heavy and has a great muzzle brake. I am researching a suppressor for it because out it the desert it is fine, but the blast from the brake gets me dirty looks from the benches on either side of me.

What kind of rifle are you shooting? I've been shooting and reloading .338 Lapua Magnum since it was available.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
View attachment 125412 I sighted in my Blaser Tactical 2 in .338 Lapua Magnum @ 200 yards to prep for shooting the mile next week on the dry lake bed.
10 rounds @ 200 yards off the bench.
Hmmm... So you're a prs / lrs competitor then? What's your name? I have some friends in the sport..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
all of this big bore talk made we want to hit the reloading bench today... loaded up 40 rounds of 416 Taylor (400gr Barnes TSX projectile over 70 grains of H4895)...

416T next to a 165gr 308 I also loaded for perspective...

All sorts of shoulder hurting goodness in a 416T :)

Attachments

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
all of this big bore talk made we want to hit the reloading bench today... loaded up 40 rounds of 416 Taylor (400gr Barnes TSX projectile over 70 grains of H4895)...

Haha, you're hardcore. My buddies 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger are more than I really enjoy.... ;)

And hey, if you're coming out to TN/NC, let me know! Maybe we can meet up for food and a smoke somewhere.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You get to load 100 rounds of 416 Taylor per pound of powder. Good deal!!! What are you shooting that canon at? Really big squirrels around DFW???(y)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... So you're a prs / lrs competitor then? What's your name? I have some friends in the sport..
I'm just an old guy with a gun. The last time I competed was Camp Perry with a Garand in 1975.

I go out with my gun bros to the desert where we attempt to hit a 24" square steel plate at a mile. Easy if the wind is calm. If it is breezy, not so much.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Really big squirrels around DFW???(y)
TX squirrels arent nearly as tough as Nevada squirrels... I just use the 375 H&H to keep the tree rats under control around here... :)

I built the 416 Taylor earlier this year specifically for cape buffalo.. I'm heading over to South Africa again in June hoping to find a big, nasty, old dagga boy...

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
You get to load 100 rounds of 416 Taylor per pound of powder. Good deal!!! What are you shooting that canon at? Really big squirrels around DFW???(y)
He travels a lot for hunts, as you can see on the previous page.
I'm just an old guy with a gun. The last time I competed was Camp Perry with a Garand in 1975.

I go out with my gun bros to the desert where we attempt to hit a 24" square steel plate at a mile. Easy if the wind is calm. If it is breezy, not so much.
Uh huh.. I'll bet..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Haha, you're hardcore. My buddies 35 Whelen and 375 Ruger are more than I really enjoy.... ;)

And hey, if you're coming out to TN/NC, let me know! Maybe we can meet up for food and a smoke somewhere.
I love the 35 whelen.. with the right load there is literally nothing in the western hemisphere the whelen cant tackle.. anything from whitetail to polar bear can be on the menu.. its truly one of the worlds most underrated cartridges IMO.. load it down and its great for thinner skinned medium sized game.. load it up and there are very few things on the planet it cant handle..

I actually need to get back to East TN sometime soon to visit some old friends and to check in with a company we do business with there.. I was thinking I might try to make it to a place on the VA/TN/NC border before the end of deer season.. a good buddy of mine owns a farm there that has invited me to come take a deer or two (same one mentioned in previous page).. When I make it that way I will definitely drop you a PM..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also reload .408 CheyTac and I only get 50 rounds per pound of powder. If you ever make it to Las Vegas, look me up.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I love the 35 whelen.. with the right load there is literally nothing in the western hemisphere the whelen cant tackle.. anything from whitetail to polar bear can be on the menu.. its truly one of the worlds most underrated cartridges IMO.. load it down and its great for thinner skinned medium sized game.. load it up and there are very few things on the planet it cant handle..

I actually need to get back to East TN sometime soon to visit some old friends and to check in with a company we do business with there.. I was thinking I might try to make it to a place on the VA/TN/NC border before the end of deer season.. a good buddy of mine owns a farm there that has invited me to come take a deer or two (same one mentioned in previous page).. When I make it that way I will definitely drop you a PM..
Yeah, it's impressive and sadly doesn't get much attention. He loves his, but the 375 R. Has gotten more of his interest lately for some reason.

For sure. I'm right in that area. Halfway between Knoxville and Bristol, just north of Greeneville.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TX squirrels arent nearly as tough as Nevada squirrels... I just use the 375 H&H to keep the tree rats under control around here... :)

I built the 416 Taylor earlier this year specifically for cape buffalo.. I'm heading over to South Africa again in June hoping to find a big, nasty, old dagga boy...
One of my nephews is an Asian Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). I helped raise him from a pup. And yes he trained under saddle because we are idiots in the desert. May I introduce you to Fred.
Fred.jpg

Last edited:

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
375 R is a very good cartridge.. it brings a few things that the 35W doesnt..

If youre an international hunter, 375 is the smallest caliber allowed in many countries for dangerous game..

So while you can hot load a 35 Whelen to very close to 375 H&H ballistics, it doesnt meet the caliber requirements for a lot of places..

The 375 R fixes that problem.. it almost perfectly matches 375 H&H ballistics, and also meets the min 375 caliber requirement..

I honestly probably would have bought a 375 R instead of my 375 H&H when I was searching for my first "safari" gun.. but the deal I got on the H&H was just too good to pass up ($650 all in for an almost brand new Winchester 70 stainless classic.. it literally had less than half a box of ammo through it and had been sitting in a safe for years... the owner bought it thinking he was going to move to Alaska and wanted something for bear/moose/etc.. the move never happened.. and he never used the gun other than to fire a couple of rounds through it at the range the first week he got it)..

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
One of my nephews is an Asian Water Buffalo (Bubalus bubalis). I help raise him from a pup. And yes he trained under saddle because we are idiots in the desert. May I introduce you to Fred.
View attachment 125460
That is an impressive beast!

While I am sure your nephew would object.. I am betting he would be a seriously tasty beast as well! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fred
That is an impressive beast!

While I am sure your nephew would object.. I am betting he would be a seriously tasty beast as well! :)
Fred turned 26 this year and he has run with a pretty sleazy Las Vegas crowd, so I wouldn't eat him.
I am not a hunter unless I could get a "Steer Tag" and pop off a nice Beefmaster/Angus cross in my buddy's pasture in Idaho.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
375 R is a very good cartridge.. it brings a few things that the 35W doesnt..

If youre an international hunter, 375 is the smallest caliber allowed in many countries for dangerous game..

So while you can hot load a 35 Whelen to very close to 375 H&H ballistics, it doesnt meet the caliber requirements for a lot of places..

The 375 R fixes that problem.. it almost perfectly matches 375 H&H ballistics, and also meets the min 375 caliber requirement..

I honestly probably would have bought a 375 R instead of my 375 H&H when I was searching for my first "safari" gun.. but the deal I got on the H&H was just too good to pass up ($650 all in for an almost brand new Winchester 70 stainless classic.. it literally had less than half a box of ammo through it and had been sitting in a safe for years... the owner bought it thinking he was going to move to Alaska and wanted something for bear/moose/etc.. the move never happened.. and he never used the gun other than to fire a couple of rounds through it at the range the first week he got it)..
What rifles are you hunting with?

I have a pretty solid foundation of knowledge on the classic Africa Rifles. I was involved with the Antique Arms Show here in Las Vegas for over 30 years.
Wally Beinfeld was a dear friend of mine and mentor. http://www.antiquearmsshow.com/about-us-highest-quality-merchandise-las-vegas.php