What's new

What did you shoot today?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy and I went out yesterday to celebrate his escape from the PRK. He brought out his Can Cannon and it was more fun than I ever thought it could possibly be.

Also, after finding out my phone could make gifs, we had to:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Mounted the optic on this little feller and ran a mag through it to get a rough zero. Ammo testing out to 300 yards is next to see what it likes, then it will be ready for precision rimfire matches this summer.
View attachment 127837
What different ammo do you usually try for competition? Why 300 yds for testing? Sorry for so many questions, but .22lr interests me. I have never competed and likely with my old eyes and budget rifle I would probably look silly.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Mounted the optic on this little feller and ran a mag through it to get a rough zero. Ammo testing out to 300 yards is next to see what it likes, then it will be ready for precision rimfire matches this summer.
View attachment 127837
What different ammo do you usually try for competition? Why 300 yds for testing? Sorry for so many questions, but .22lr interests me. I have never competed and likely with my old eyes and budget rifle I would probably look silly.
Damn, that's hardcore!
Nice Chad!

Drop gets out of control with my match stuff at 250..

Wolf match target 22 is amazing @Old Smokey (it's Lapua sk I believe)

Fiocchi subsonic 22 shoots damn good inside of 150.

I've never messed with the really spendy eleys.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Starting with Lapua, Eley, and SK. Hoping for good results with the SK since it's the cheapest of the bunch. Typically the .22 matches stay within 300 yards, as @Glassman said drop gets pretty steep out that far with a .22 and everybody is running out of elevation to dial at the longer distances.
You don't need to spend a lot of money to be competitive in rimfire competition. With the popularity of precision rifle matches growing fast, the .22 matches have really taken off as well. A lot of ranges don't have 1000+ yards to run centerfire matches, but there are a ton of places with 100 - 200 yards that can run a rimfire match. This has prompted a bunch of aftermarket support and brought gear prices down. Sure, there are guys shooting $4k rifles but there are also guys shooting 10/22's with an upgraded barrel that are just as competitive. Check out NRL22 to get an idea of what the precision rimfire discipline is all about.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Damn, that's hardcore!
Nice Chad!

Drop gets out of control with my match stuff at 250..

Wolf match target 22 is amazing @Old Smokey (it's Lapua sk I believe)

Fiocchi subsonic 22 shoots damn good inside of 150.

I've never messed with the really spendy eleys.
Thanks for the info. I have a small amount of experience with Lapua and Eley. I will checkout Fiocchi and see how it shoots in my guns. I am mostly a plinker or 50yd bench shooter, I think next time I hit the range I will give the 100yd a try.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Starting with Lapua, Eley, and SK. Hoping for good results with the SK since it's the cheapest of the bunch. Typically the .22 matches stay within 300 yards, as @Glassman said drop gets pretty steep out that far with a .22 and everybody is running out of elevation to dial at the longer distances.
You don't need to spend a lot of money to be competitive in rimfire competition. With the popularity of precision rifle matches growing fast, the .22 matches have really taken off as well. A lot of ranges don't have 1000+ yards to run centerfire matches, but there are a ton of places with 100 - 200 yards that can run a rimfire match. This has prompted a bunch of aftermarket support and brought gear prices down. Sure, there are guys shooting $4k rifles but there are also guys shooting 10/22's with an upgraded barrel that are just as competitive. Check out NRL22 to get an idea of what the precision rimfire discipline is all about.
NRL22 looks like it would be a lot of fun. What class do you compete with your rifle? What power scope do most shooters use?

I looked at the locations and there are 3 in Missouri, but sadly none are close to being local. It would be fun to go and watch a match to get a feel for it.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Thanks for the info. I have a small amount of experience with Lapua and Eley. I will checkout Fiocchi and see how it shoots in my guns. I am mostly a plinker or 50yd bench shooter, I think next time I hit the range I will give the 100yd a try.
It can really be rifle/barrel dependant. Seems like almost moreso with rimfire than centerfire.

I did a lot of testing with my 22s a few years ago and the results were really interesting.

Geco, and Norma 22 did really well in some of the semis.
Wolf and eley target I can shoot wings off a wasp with in the bolt.
Have a marlin 60 that Flippin loves cheap ass magtech.
And again that fiocchi is great. And for some reason, (maybe it's form of hollowpoint), it really seems to hit hard for a subsonic. You can hear the difference.

I'm a huge fan of federal, but the "automatch" is garbage in my guns.

HV match is better, but not great for my particular rifles.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua-team/lapua-team-usa/cathy-winstead-severin.html

This lady and her husband James live locally and operate an online business, goodshootinginc. I have spoken to them a couple of times, once was when I bought one of her competition rifles that is no longer fits a class in the NRA comp. They sell Anschutz and a variety of target comp ammo. The gun I bought is an Anschutz MSR RX22 Precision which is no longer made or supported by Anschutz. But this rifle is a shooter with Lapua
Center X which is what Cathy said she recommended for this rifle. At 50yds on a good day even an old man like myself can shoot 10 shot groups easily covered by a dime using a front bag using Center X. I love shooting it.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
NRL22 looks like it would be a lot of fun. What class do you compete with your rifle? What power scope do most shooters use?

I looked at the locations and there are 3 in Missouri, but sadly none are close to being local. It would be fun to go and watch a match to get a feel for it.
This rifle will be Open class. It's nothing too fancy, just a Ruger Precision, but msrp is over what Base class allows.
I have a 6-24 on it but rarely need the higher magnification. 16-24 is pretty much just for playing at longer range.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
This rifle will be Open class. It's nothing too fancy, just a Ruger Precision, but msrp is over what Base class allows.
I have a 6-24 on it but rarely need the higher magnification. 16-24 is pretty much just for playing at longer range.
I currently have an inexpensive Zeiss 2x7 on my rifle, but I have a Vortex 6x18 on my deer rifle I might put on the 22 to try it out. Thank you for answering so many questions.

Last edited:

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua-team/lapua-team-usa/cathy-winstead-severin.html

This lady and her husband James live locally and operate an online business, goodshootinginc. I have spoken to them a couple of times, once was when I bought one of her competition rifles that is no longer fits a class in the NRA comp. They sell Anschutz and a variety of target comp ammo. The gun I bought is an Anschutz MSR RX22 Precision which is no longer made or supported by Anschutz. But this rifle is a shooter with Lapua
Center X which is what Cathy said she recommended for this rifle. At 50yds on a good day even an old man like myself can shoot 10 shot groups easily covered by a dime using a front bag using Center X. I love shooting it.
Nice! Sounds like a fantastic rifle!