What's new

What is "cuban-esque"?

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
A post by Matt (orangedog) got me wondering about what people think of as characteristic of a cuban cigar, the "cuban-esque" flavor profile (or cuban twang).

What is it to you?

And could you pick it out blind?

Last edited:

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
To me it means earthy with a hint of cocoa and a slight metallic twang. Medium bodied typically as well.

IPH

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I will preface this to say I have minimal experience with CCs but I have had a few (Siglio / Bolivar). I was talking to Speedy a couple of weeks ago about this, to me "cuban-esque" is a creamy, smooth and non-coating flavor, notes of hay. Something you could have over and over without too much wear on the pallet. I described it as how you image a cigar should taste, in the same way you might imagine how your Dad's beer would taste as a kid when you caught the scent.

As for picking it out blind, I'd like to think I could but would probably make a fool of myself trying.

Great question!

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
I'm not much on being able to describe the twang, but I definitely know it when I smoke it. Not every single Habanos has it, but I love it in the ones that do.

To me the real characteristic of the Habanos I like to smoke is as IPH describes it, though. They are very flavorful even though many are medium or mild, so they don't wear on the palate. Perfect description.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
for me, it is the texture every time. whether plugged or not, aged or not, the FEEL of the smoke is just singular. NIC and DOM tobaccos have similar stand out qualities, each unique. to me, anywho.

Rating - 100%
63   0   0
for me, it is the texture every time. whether plugged or not, aged or not, the FEEL of the smoke is just singular. NIC and DOM tobaccos have similar stand out qualities, each unique. to me, anywho.
What do you mean by texture and feel of the smoke? If it's singular and unique, could you pick it out blind?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Do you like to have a clean palate afterwards or not is the only question.... I'll be your huckleberry if your offering........

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Breaking cigars into Nic, Dom, and Cuban, I'm about 95%+ confident that I could pick them out. There is a distinct taste, and to a large degree, feel that is associated with each.

Nic sticks are often, but not always, dirtier and rougher in mouthfeel and wrapper, more pepper on the palate and general strength of tobacco. I've found them to run warmer and a bit more harshly than Dominicans or Cubans.

Dominicans are often smoother, creamy, nuanced with espresso and cocoa, sometimes nut overtones. They strike me as slightly more balanced and less likely to be harsh, when compared to Nics. They are also often very woody.

Cubans are defined by the unique taste of their tobacco, as well as, often at least, a more pronounced depth of flavors, similar to how Nic sticks are with pepper. Rarely a rough and dirty mouthfeel or wrapper. Also, when stored properly and sometimes with age, I've found that the flavors meld/mesh/settle/marry better than others, in that you get many of the flavors at once, well balance, instead of changing every 1/3rd. There may be less progression (although less true in longer vitolas), but more depth and balance.

In the above, I tried to stay away from cliche terms so hopefully it gives some color on my view. I think Nic, Dom, and Cuban tobacco all have something to offer, so I don't mean to slight one over the other, although I'm sure my writing shows my bias towards CCs and then Doms.

My $0.02.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I also would like to see no moki tricks for whoever does this.
IE:
No using aged Ncs against newer CCs
No using super premium NCs vs machine made/lower quality habanos.
I know the statement is; can you define the nuances of the habano. But those few things can be a game changer.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have seen these before and if my memory serves me correct I have only seen one person(many years of smoking cuban cigars) get even close and it was like only 60 or 70% accurate. Good luck guys and just remember it's a great learning experience but when those bands are removed and the heads snipped off it's a different ball game.