What's new

What should I do with only 2 pipes?

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks all. Right now, Im feeling REALLY frustrated with piping.

I always feel that the pipe is too hot (but hell I dont know, even tho I smoked for a year before I quit I was self taught and used meh quality house blends...), it wont stay lit or smoke well etc. The first night I tried the Frank method, the pipe never went out and I lit it once. Now, Im fighting it the whole time, and anything other than the black cavendish I have seems to give tongue burn and I get more hot air than smoke.

I wish there were some one near me that could show me what to do, front to back, so I have an in person reference. Gah.

On the upside, I did finally, after years of cigars and pipe, figure out how to retrohale. Small victories.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks all. Right now, Im feeling REALLY frustrated with piping.

I always feel that the pipe is too hot (but hell I dont know, even tho I smoked for a year before I quit I was self taught and used meh quality house blends...), it wont stay lit or smoke well etc. The first night I tried the Frank method, the pipe never went out and I lit it once. Now, Im fighting it the whole time, and anything other than the black cavendish I have seems to give tongue burn and I get more hot air than smoke.

I wish there were some one near me that could show me what to do, front to back, so I have an in person reference. Gah.

On the upside, I did finally, after years of cigars and pipe, figure out how to retrohale. Small victories.
Youtube is a good place to start as stupid as it might be. That's how I started when I was curious about piping and the rest of the time pushed down the slopes here by fellow BOTL's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many variables to consider with pipes as well that can all potentially affect the quality of the smoke. Moisture of the tobacco, cut of tobacco, make up of blend of tobacco, pipe bowl size and shape, draft hole size, ambient temp and rh, etc etc.

Don't get discouraged, and as hard as it may be, try not to get frustrated as you are smoking, as you may tend to increase your smoking cadence at that point, which is generally not a good thing. Try to always pack looser than you think you need to, you can always give it a slight tamp if you have to. I still mess this up sometimes, as I am not a daily pipe smoker.

Perhaps drying your tobacco out a bit before smoking may help you with the tobacco staying lit? For me, I generally also draw longer, gentler and slower on pipes than I do cigars.
Also as said above, YouTube is good if you really get stuck with something :) good luck!

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ive been all over youtube (im one of those guys who researches EVERYTHING. Which is how, after not ever having a beer my whole life, I ended up with a can of guinness and a bottle of youngs double chocolate stout as my first 2...gross) and have tried most things.

I think my issues are backwards almost. My cavendish go to is SUPER moist. I mean, you could sculpt with it if you wanted. generally smokes ok. then the other one i picked up recently, a blend of some sort, FEELS like what everyone says its supposed to but wont smoke worth a damn.

And I've always thought my draw was too open, there would be almost no resistance in the pull.

I wont give up until I sit down with someone that knows what theyre doing and cant replicate it. Just gonna keep watching videos and banging my head on a wall.

Ill take pics of the cut in a minute, Im not a fan of it in general.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some blends that are not the easiest to smoke. I have some Mcclelland 2008 Christmas cheer that while amazing, takes a significant amount of drying (like till its crispy) and can still be quite hard to get lit and consistently keep burning due to how densely the broken flake is pressed. Relights for me are par for the course whenever I smoke that stuff.

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I'm not the most experienced guy here, but your baccy should be able to quickly loosen after you compress it with your fingers. If it stays in the same shape, it's way too wet. I notice this a lot with aros. They put so much PG on them that to me, they are unsmokeable till they receive proper drying time.

Personally, I like my baccy very dry, so I'd suggest you experiment with that. Some people (including myself) use a stove or microwave since some Baccys are just way too wet. Some frown on this, but I've never noticed a difference. And pack loose. Packing too much will actually make it more difficult to keep lit. Keep at it (y)

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now Im frustrated in the opposite way. But Im making progress!

So last night, after trying a new house blend, i went with the cavendish again. The night before, I swabbed the whole pipe with some Hudson Baby bourbon. Figured why not, since they were out of my care for a few years it wouldnt hurt.

On my one pipe that isnt my favorite, I noticed a small burn divot inside. No big, I feel itll heal itself overtime once cake starts.

But when I smoked (24 hours of dry time from the swab, and double checked before packing) I ended up with the last 1/4 dripping wet. I know its wet to begin with (in tobacco terms) but there was a good bit of moisture coating the bottom. Bonus side effect, the bourbon cleaning seemed to add a hint of coconut which I enjoyed.

And today, I picked up a sample of 1Q with a little extra black cavendish (Im trying to broaden my horizons but this time it was the purveyor who gave me this one.) and it smoked lovely till about the mid way point, at which time there was a good bit of charcoal like ash on top, about 1/4 bowls worth and not enough to really worry about relighting at the bottom. I was puzzled but pleased.

Getting there. I have some things in the mail that have my nervous to try tho..Im excited!

8ball

Ruler of Grayskull
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Now Im frustrated in the opposite way. But Im making progress!

So last night, after trying a new house blend, i went with the cavendish again. The night before, I swabbed the whole pipe with some Hudson Baby bourbon. Figured why not, since they were out of my care for a few years it wouldnt hurt.

On my one pipe that isnt my favorite, I noticed a small burn divot inside. No big, I feel itll heal itself overtime once cake starts.

But when I smoked (24 hours of dry time from the swab, and double checked before packing) I ended up with the last 1/4 dripping wet. I know its wet to begin with (in tobacco terms) but there was a good bit of moisture coating the bottom. Bonus side effect, the bourbon cleaning seemed to add a hint of coconut which I enjoyed.

And today, I picked up a sample of 1Q with a little extra black cavendish (Im trying to broaden my horizons but this time it was the purveyor who gave me this one.) and it smoked lovely till about the mid way point, at which time there was a good bit of charcoal like ash on top, about 1/4 bowls worth and not enough to really worry about relighting at the bottom. I was puzzled but pleased.

Getting there. I have some things in the mail that have my nervous to try tho..Im excited!
You're on the right path. Aro's will usually leave the bottom of the bowl wet, pretty sure this is normal. Also, with a ton of ash, I usually stir it with one of the tools or the other end of a tamper, and flip the pipe upside down (over an ash tray, lol) to empty the ash. Then, I scoop up the remaining baccy in the pipe and lightly compress back down for the relight.

1q is pretty good stuff. You'll probably like it more than straight up black cavendish.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the right path. Aro's will usually leave the bottom of the bowl wet, pretty sure this is normal. Also, with a ton of ash, I usually stir it with one of the tools or the other end of a tamper, and flip the pipe upside down (over an ash tray, lol) to empty the ash. Then, I scoop up the remaining baccy in the pipe and lightly compress back down for the relight.
+1.

Rating - 100%
151   0   0

1q is pretty good stuff. You'll probably like it more than straight up black cavendish.
If you like Aros.... I would suggest a Radiator pipe or a Falcon pipe. These have a pocket below the bowl and before the stem that can collect the moisture before you smoke it

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Youtube is a good place to start as stupid as it might be. That's how I started when I was curious about piping and the rest of the time pushed down the slopes here by fellow BOTL's.

I concur with the U Tube info....be careful of what links come up...pipe smoking brought me to a pron site...wtf?

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had the Zippo lighter from last time I smoked. I ended up finding 3 Zippos and an old leather Zippo holster in my herfador. I made a trade for a knife for almost everything else, and I put in a few OZs of local blends I picked up. I posted about getting the pipes, because the moonshine has a weird stem and I didn't know if I should smoke the juds, lol.
Still keeping 2 pipes and some baccy for later, just think I'm better suited for sticks.