What's new

What should my first firearm be?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Hey gunslingers I'm looking on recommendations on what my first firearm should be. Keep in mind that I've only shot a weapon a few times in my life and have never owned one (I do have my Illinois FOID card though).

I'm looking for something that's affordable (both upfront and for ammo so I can take it to the range), fun/easy to shoot, and in a pinch could be used for home defense (although I will probably pick up a Mossberg 500 for this task as some point as well).

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I'm going to say a handgun.You have tons of options. My recommendation would be to go to a range and rent/try as many guns as possible. I could throw several suggestions at you, but the bottom line is, buy what feels good to you in hand and while shooting. As long as you go with a reputable brand, the reliability should be there. For a first handgun, I would normally steer you towards .22LR as far as caliber. But, if you want it to have good home defense capabilities, 9mm. Good luck, and ask a bunch of questions. ☺

Last edited:

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
What have you shot before?
A rifle, don't remember what caliber, and a 22 caliber handgun. I don't recall the model of the handgun either as this was AGES ago.

I'm going to say a handgun.You have tons of options. My recommendation would be to go to range and rent/try as many guns as possible. I could throw several suggestions at you, but the bottom line is, buy what feels good to you in hand and while shooting. As long as you go with a reputable brand, the reliability should be there. For a first handgun, I would normally steer you towards .22LR as far as caliber. But, if you want it to have good home defense capabilities, 9mm. Good luck, and ask a bunch of questions. ☺
Thanks for the feedback!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
define affordable...

A lot of indoor ranges arent rated for centerfire rifles.. so if youre looking for something you can play with regularly.. youre probably going to need to confine your search to a handgun, shotgun, or a pistol caliber carbine..

I typically recommend people start with something that is shoulder fired.. and focus on mastering the fundamentals... then move to a handgun...

but.. it really depends on your priorities and intentions.. if this is to be primarily a home defense weapon.. and you want it to be readily accessible (bedside table type gun).. a handgun might be the better place to start.... or if you intend on ever CCW (although thats going to pretty hard to accomplish in Chicagoland).. you might want to go on and pick up a handgun..

While I prefer centerfire rifle carbines over pistol caliber carbines.. there are some decent 9mm options out there that are relatively affordable (depending on budget).. and pretty cheap to shoot.. that are reliable, fun to shoot, and could be taken to most any range, could certainly defend the home, etc..etc..

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
If you want something fun to shoot, you can't go wrong with an AR, even if it's 22 caliber. You can put lots of accessories on them and make them look cool.

As for a handgun, its all about what feels comfortable in your hand. 9mm is going to be the most affordable handgun round that you will get and can also be used for home defense.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
The moss 500 is what I use for home defense. A retired police chief friend of mine once told me the scariest thing an intruder will ever hear is not an alarm beeping, it's the sound of a 12ga Buck shell getting racked in from the top of the stairs. Careful when shooting shells though as most slugs and 00 have the potential to over penetrate if your home is stick built with just drywall and 3/4 ply between you and the neighbors.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
define affordable...

A lot of indoor ranges arent rated for centerfire rifles.. so if youre looking for something you can play with regularly.. youre probably going to need to confine your search to a handgun, shotgun, or a pistol caliber carbine..

I typically recommend people start with something that is shoulder fired.. and focus on mastering the fundamentals... then move to a handgun...

but.. it really depends on your priorities and intentions.. if this is to be primarily a home defense weapon.. and you want it to be readily accessible (bedside table type gun).. a handgun might be the better place to start.... or if you intend on ever CCW (although thats going to pretty hard to accomplish in Chicagoland).. you might want to go on and pick up a handgun..

While I prefer centerfire rifle carbines over pistol caliber carbines.. there are some decent 9mm options out there that are relatively affordable (depending on budget).. and pretty cheap to shoot.. that are reliable, fun to shoot, and could be taken to most any range, could certainly defend the home, etc..etc..
Affordable is in the lower hundreds as opposed to the closer to 1k type price range.

I do think a handgun is my way to start although I totally understand the idea of starting with a shoulder fired weapon.

If you want something fun to shoot, you can't go wrong with an AR, even if it's 22 caliber. You can put lots of accessories on them and make them look cool.

As for a handgun, its all about what feels comfortable in your hand. 9mm is going to be the most affordable handgun round that you will get and can also be used for home defense.
Would love an AR, but my wallet would not lol

The moss 500 is what I use for home defense. A retired police chief friend of mine once told me the scariest thing an intruder will ever hear is not an alarm beeping, it's the sound of a 12ga Buck shell getting racked in from the top of the stairs. Careful when shooting shells though as most slugs and 00 have the potential to over penetrate if your home is stick built with just drywall and 3/4 ply between you and the neighbors.
I've heard that too and am aware of the over penetration issue you mentioned. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
What a timely question, Jay! I'll be watching this thread because it's probably time I bit the bullet and bought one instead of renting (see what I did there?)

Definitely going the handgun route, and looking at a Sig Sauer 9 with a conversion kit for .22 as my wife likes the .22.
Not going to use it for home protection but punching holes in paper at the range.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Careful when shooting shells though as most slugs and 00 have the potential to over penetrate if your home is stick built with just drywall and 3/4 ply between you and the neighbors.
Over penetration is a concern anytime you are FISHing (Fighting In Someone's House).. shotguns are however typically the least concerning....

with the exception of when slugs are used, shotguns generally penetrate less than handguns and rifles.... the soft lead pellets are more malleable than jacketed pistol and rifle rounds.. are smaller in size and weight.. and travel at a slower velocity.. (for example.. a standard home defense load of 00 buckshot is typically 9x pellets that are a little over 8mm in diameter and 50 grains in weight.. traveling at about 1200 feet per second... the projectile is soft lead...... vs.. a typical home defense 9mm handgun round is 9mm in diameter.. weighs 115 grains.. and is traveling at about 1300 feet per second.... or a common 5.56 rifle round which is about 5 1/2mm in diameter, weighs 55 grains.. and is traveling about 3000 feet per second)..

The key is to know your weapon system.. know its capabilities and limitations.. and to know what you are shooting at, your backstop, and what is beyond it.... and simply not miss..

CigarSaint

Who Dat!
Rating - 100%
31   0   0

+1 agree with this....it's how I started. Now that congress went back to the republicans they should not ban assualt rifles... i.e. allow people to save money to buy them at a later date.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Look at gun stores for used handguns. I started with a Ruger 22. I think I paid $150 for it. still have it and it's great for the range. Cheap cheap cheap to shoot. My second was a 9mm Taurus. It's small, light weight and simple to maintain.

My rifle is a mosin nagant. I paid $130 for it It was made in 1934 but still shoots like new.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
The topic of handguns will always bring about a million different answers. Something for you to consider is, "Do you feel comfortable with the gun you have chosen". I would recommend finding a range that will let shoot a pistol before you buy it. The other option is if you have a friend that has a few you could try out. You may want to consider looking at a revolver, they are simple, concealable, and reliable. Remember, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to firearms. Regardless of what handgun or rifle you ultimately choose there is no substitute for proper training. Here are a couple of links to give you something to think about.

This is a pistol I would carry or have my wife carry:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_809560_-1_757781_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Here are a few associations that will make shooting fun and educational:
http://www.uspsa.org
https://www.ipsc.org

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
My 5 year old learned on a Browning Buckmark and a CZ455... both 22. The best deterrent for home invasion is the racking sound of a Remington 870 or Model 12. Shotguns are very fun to learn on, and there are a number of clay target clubs in the Chicagoland area where you can go. If I recall, Gat in Dundee offers classes and handgun rentals. Rifles in the metro IL areas are tough to find locations for practice.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Article II in Lombard rents for about $10 each and, I think, they refund that if you buy one. You can bring long guns there, too. Shotguns need to have slugs (no shot). My former boss and I took his Saiga-12 (with a 30 round drum magazine) there.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On Target in Crystal Lake has a large variety of Handguns and rifles you can try out. Its a nice range. A rifle side and a handgun side. I'll meet you there if you want to shoot some paper sometime.
I don't own one, but if i was going to buy a handgun it'd be Beretta M9 or a Sig 226. I lean towards service weapons though.