What's new

What should my first firearm be?

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Look at gun stores for used handguns. I started with a Ruger 22. I think I paid $150 for it. still have it and it's great for the range. Cheap cheap cheap to shoot. My second was a 9mm Taurus. It's small, light weight and simple to maintain.

My rifle is a mosin nagant. I paid $130 for it It was made in 1934 but still shoots like new.
I bought an Enfield .303 for about $150. Heavy, due to the all wood stocks, but pleasant to shoot and accurate. It's far from my only weapon but it is one of my favorites.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I bought an Enfield .303 for about $150. Heavy, due to the all wood stocks, but pleasant to shoot and accurate. It's far from my only weapon but it is one of my favorites.
I had an old WWII era SMLE MK III that I "sporterized" probably 20 years ago and turned it into one of my favorite of all time deer rifles...

Sold it probably 15 years ago.. and bought a "real" deer rifle (Remington Model 700 in .308).. and immediately regretted it... (loved the Remington.. but missed my SMLE..)... that thing was tons of fun to shoot.. loved the action on it.. and just enjoyed hunting with something I had done a lot of work on myself..

Ammo was a pain in the butt to find.. and expensive when I could get my hands on it (ball ammo wasnt a challenge.. but finding hunting rounds was a bit of a PIA)...

Ive thought quite a bit about either grabbing another SMLE.. or going with an old 1903 springfield this time.. and doing the same thing.. could do the same with the mosin nagant as well pretty easily..

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I had an old WWII era SMLE MK III that I "sporterized" probably 20 years ago and turned it into one of my favorite of all time deer rifles...

Sold it probably 15 years ago.. and bought a "real" deer rifle (Remington Model 700 in .308).. and immediately regretted it... (loved the Remington.. but missed my SMLE..)... that thing was tons of fun to shoot.. loved the action on it.. and just enjoyed hunting with something I had done a lot of work on myself..

Ammo was a pain in the butt to find.. and expensive when I could get my hands on it (ball ammo wasnt a challenge.. but finding hunting rounds was a bit of a PIA)...

Ive thought quite a bit about either grabbing another SMLE.. or going with an old 1903 springfield this time.. and doing the same thing.. could do the same with the mosin nagant as well pretty easily..
Sounds like a great weapon. You are right, buying ammo chambered in .303 or other vintage models can be expensive.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Yep! Called a FOID card..... Firearms owners identification.....
Omg... I can't even imagine that. I have been concealed carry since I was 18yrs old and have been shooting since I was like 5 yrs old. Come right across the border brother, us Hoosiers will take care of you.

Btw- I would go with a revolver of some sort maybe a 357.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Omg... I can't even imagine that. I have been concealed carry since I was 18yrs old and have been shooting since I was like 5 yrs old. Come right across the border brother, us Hoosiers will take care of you.

Btw- I would go with a revolver of some sort maybe a 357.
Oh don't worry, I live in he land of the free now! Wisconsin baby! Haha. Used to live in Illinois

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
one of the benefits of going the 1903 springfield route.. its a .30-06.... every walmart, gander mountain, bass pro shop, and academy sports in America has more .30-06 ammo than you could ever shoot on the shelves on any given day..

but.. when I consider that an SMLE in decent condition is about $300 on gunbroker.. and a 1903 in decent condition is about $600 (minimum)..
the cost/availability of ammo becomes a little less of an issue..

Have also thought about trying to find an Ishapore SMLE in .308.... that solves the ammo problem (cheap, easy to find, etc..)... keeps the SMLE action that is so fun to shoot.. and still allows me to "sportorize" the rifle and make it my own...

/endthreadhijack

sorry DSCL! :)

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
What a timely question, Jay! I'll be watching this thread because it's probably time I bit the bullet and bought one instead of renting (see what I did there?)

Definitely going the handgun route, and looking at a Sig Sauer 9 with a conversion kit for .22 as my wife likes the .22.
Not going to use it for home protection but punching holes in paper at the range.
Sounds like a chicago area shooting trip is in order. ..

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm just starting to find. 22 available on a regular basis.

I really love my Sig Sauer P239 originally in. 40 S&W. However the same frame is used for 357 Sig, and you can drop in a barrel shot 357 Sig. You can buy an after market 9 mm barrel also. I conceal carry it in late fall through early spring when the situation calls for it.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Glock 19. Easy to learn system and very easy to maintain if you are comfortable with it. It's the gun I taught on most frequently for a semi auto, and you can find decent used ones in the 400 range all day long

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
For your first gun I would go with a Ruger 10/22. It is a good size long gun, not too heavy. Being .22 caliber it has no real recoil. Fairly affordable to shoot for long periods. And is fully capable of taking out small game. Being a very popular gun there are tons of aftermarket products made for this platform so you could customize it.

Besides these reasons, the biggest is that it is going to be your first gun. As a guy whos had a gun since I was 5, I always suggest starting with a .22. Learn your gun and range safety, become comfortable with your firearm skills. Them further down the road, go bigger, or smaller if you go the handgun route. But safety first.

A .22 bolt action was my first gun, and though its a different model I still shoot .22 on a regular basis. They will never go out of style.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Sig also has a 1911 in a .22. I've held it but never shot it. It's priced pretty well and I can't imagine that, with the weight of a 1911 and using a .22, that you'd feel *any* recoil.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My first rifle was a 10/22 and it is alway what i reccomend to beginners. Although .22lr is a bit hard to come by now a days, especially in my neck of the woods (no more internrnet sales of ammo in ny). If you dont want a 22, try to get something that has cheap ammo so you can practice.