What's new

What should my first firearm be?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a first gun personal I'd also have to say go for an Smith & Wesson M&P. You can check out the entire M&P line on smith-wesson.com after you find one that you like and this part goes for any gun check out shops and armlist.com to find the best price. I got my M&P45c off texasguntrader.com, did a quick functions check and called it a win to pick up a $620 gun for $500. Probably could've got it for less but I got excited about getting it.

~Added after post cause my ADHD kicked in~
As for caliber you really need to find whats right for you. I started with a service Beretta 9mm and went and bought a .45 because I didn't feel like the 9mm had enough kick. Don't get me wrong 9mm is a great 'reach out and touch you round' I just prefer heavier.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As a marksmanship instructor, I have to recommend against the M&P as a first gun, especially for a new shooter. They have odd, notchy triggers with mushy reset that even experienced shooters have trouble with. Functionally, they're sound, but not a great learning platform. I recommend Glock if it feels good in your hand (they have an odd grip angle that isn't for everyone) or Springfield XD or XDM series. Both are inexpensive, available in all major calibers, and will work longer than you can shoot them. Look for 9mm or .45ACP versions. Both are beginner friendly.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
As a marksmanship instructor, I have to recommend against the M&P as a first gun, especially for a new shooter. They have odd, notchy triggers with mushy reset that even experienced shooters have trouble with. Functionally, they're sound, but not a great learning platform. I recommend Glock if it feels good in your hand (they have an odd grip angle that isn't for everyone) or Springfield XD or XDM series. Both are inexpensive, available in all major calibers, and will work longer than you can shoot them. Look for 9mm or .45ACP versions. Both are beginner friendly.
Yup, it's got to feel right in your hand.
Glocks don't do that for me, but I love my XD/XDM/XDs. Get to a store and handle as many as you can. Better yet, rent them at a range and try them out.
Add my vote for 9mm in handguns. With the advances in ammunition, it will do everything you ever need it to do and you'll get 1-2 more rounds per magazine.
One thing to add, go at least mid size, preferably full size if you get a handgun.
The smaller it is, the less comfortable it will be to shoot and the harder it will be to shoot well.
If this first do-all gun does it for you and you're drawn to the hobby, there will always be time to buy more "niche" guns down the road. (another slope)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
For your first gun I would go with a Ruger 10/22. It is a good size long gun, not too heavy. Being .22 caliber it has no real recoil. Fairly affordable to shoot for long periods. And is fully capable of taking out small game. Being a very popular gun there are tons of aftermarket products made for this platform so you could customize it.

Besides these reasons, the biggest is that it is going to be your first gun. As a guy whos had a gun since I was 5, I always suggest starting with a .22. Learn your gun and range safety, become comfortable with your firearm skills. Them further down the road, go bigger, or smaller if you go the handgun route. But safety first.

A .22 bolt action was my first gun, and though its a different model I still shoot .22 on a regular basis. They will never go out of style.
Every gun owner should have a 10/22.
(I have a few)
Now, if only the ammo companies could keep up with demand!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I agree. First time buyers always go too small. They figure it'll be easier to handle, but in reality extra mass equals extra recoil absorption, better accuracy, and higher muzzle velocity. Choose one that feels good, then pick one two barrel sizes up.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate and value your advice as a marksmanship instructor, however, I have to disagree with your opinion about M&P's. Yes the trigger is different but its not a bad thing. I like the trigger job on it, but the beauty is everything is personal preference. I taught my wife with my M&P45c and she had only fired small caliber rifles during her childhood. Five rounds and I had her aware of the recoil and in a comfortable stance. Ten more and I had her on target after that she cut loose and spent fifty rounds. Dialed it in to all hits on a silhouette before we left no expert shot but on target at least.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To be fair, I didn't say it ISN'T a teachable platform, I simply meant that better options are out there for similar or lower prices. I had an M&P for a while, but when my XDM came along, the M&P got sold soon after. Trigger jobs exist for the Smith & Wesson, also, most are cheap. However, I feel (and this is just my opinion as a shooter) that a gun should be shootable right out of the box. I didn't feel that way about my M&P, though plenty of people do.

After all that rhetoric, however, the best handgun out there for my money is still Springfield's 1911 in government size.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
My first gun was a SW 686, a 357 magnum revolver. My bedside table gun. My thoughts:

Pros
- Simple: the gun, for the most part, is a handful of parts. Not a lot of opportunities for it to misfire, jam, break, etc.
- Can shoot 38, cheaper, easy to fire from such a large frame.
- They make a 7 shot version.
- If you get the long barrel, you can be a Dirty Harry ripoff.

Cons
- Large, probably couldn't conceal carry it.
- Needs a lot of pressure to do a double action trigger. Single action is easy.
- Only has 6 or 7 shots. You can use speed loaders like magazines if you'd like.
- It's a revolver, which some people say aren't good past a certain number of yards.

All in all, a good first gun for my wife and I. She also feels comfortable shooting it, and I didn't feel like I was getting in over my head; beauty is in its simplicity. Shoot a bunch and see what you like, you'll find it.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
the best handgun out there for my money is still Springfield's 1911 in government size.
I love a government model... and have owned several over the years.. my current is an SA "Loaded" TRP that I've had a good bit of additional work done on..

That said.. I would never recommend any single action pistol.. no matter how high the quality or the value for the dollar.. as a first pistol..

For marksmanship.. maybe... the 1911 is an inherently accurate platform.. as is the Hi-Power.. and a number of other SA systems..

But for general use/bedside table/self defense.. there are far better option for beginning shooters these days (I know Col. Cooper is rolling over in his grave right now...)...

There is a reason you dont see SA weapon systems being issued to major law enforcement agencies or to conventional forces in any developed country's military any longer.. Even the Brits finally moved away from the Hi-Power a few years ago (I didnt think they were ever going to ditch that pistol.. they had been issuing it since before WWII)...

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
The advice I will give you with over 25 years in LE, buy a good pump shotgun first. Mossberg makes a great home defense weapon. If an intruder hears you rack the action, they won't stick around. If they do, they won't survive.

As for handguns, you have received some great advice. Go to a range that has several options to rent. Try a revolver and a semi auto. 9mm for the most part is a cheap and accurate round, but a 45 has great knockdown power. Now that I'm retired, most of the time Ill carry my Kimber Pro CDP II 45 or my HK 9mm. To me, a 45 is a great home gun. I'm here if you need some advice. Pm if need be brother

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I love a government model... and have owned several over the years.. my current is an SA "Loaded" TRP that I've had a good bit of additional work done on..

That said.. I would never recommend any single action pistol.. no matter how high the quality or the value for the dollar.. as a first pistol..

For marksmanship.. maybe... the 1911 is an inherently accurate platform.. as is the Hi-Power.. and a number of other SA systems..

But for general use/bedside table/self defense.. there are far better option for beginning shooters these days (I know Col. Cooper is rolling over in his grave right now...)...

There is a reason you dont see SA weapon systems being issued to major law enforcement agencies or to conventional forces in any developed country's military any longer.. Even the Brits finally moved away from the Hi-Power a few years ago (I didnt think they were ever going to ditch that pistol.. they had been issuing it since before WWII)...
Ditto.

I have a loaded target that was completely customized by Jim Garthwaite, a TRP I rebuilt entirely save for the frame, slide, and barrel, and an EMP by Jim Garthwaite for the wife. Love springers. Great base guns. Awesome forgings with the NM stamped sets.

But I agree that I would not teach someone on a single action when striker fire guns are capable of shooting without creep, and with good spring weight choices can have just as solid and clean a reset. There also isn't as much tuning involved compared to a 1911 or BHP.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
For your first gun I would go with a Ruger 10/22. It is a good size long gun, not too heavy. Being .22 caliber it has no real recoil. Fairly affordable to shoot for long periods. And is fully capable of taking out small game. Being a very popular gun there are tons of aftermarket products made for this platform so you could customize it.

Besides these reasons, the biggest is that it is going to be your first gun. As a guy whos had a gun since I was 5, I always suggest starting with a .22. Learn your gun and range safety, become comfortable with your firearm skills. Them further down the road, go bigger, or smaller if you go the handgun route. But safety first.

A .22 bolt action was my first gun, and though its a different model I still shoot .22 on a regular basis. They will never go out of style.
Hard to argue with this logic. I have 3 of them. Two of them will be going with my sons when they get their own homes.

SecretSanta

Happy Fat Man
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The advice I will give you with over 25 years in LE, buy a good pump shotgun first. Mossberg makes a great home defense weapon. If an intruder hears you rack the action, they won't stick around. If they do, they won't survive.

As for handguns, you have received some great advice. Go to a range that has several options to rent. Try a revolver and a semi auto. 9mm for the most part is a cheap and accurate round, but a 45 has great knockdown power. Now that I'm retired, most of the time Ill carry my Kimber Pro CDP II 45 or my HK 9mm. To me, a 45 is a great home gun. I'm here if you need some advice. Pm if need be brother
I agree on the Mossberg and .45 great post

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I agree on the Mossberg and .45 great post
Santa and these guys are right!

Handguns are super personal. Find one that fits you, if it's out of your price range, either save up or put it on your Christmas list :p

I'm of the opinion that quality doesn't come cheap. If I'm trusting that firearm to protect myself and my loved ones, I want something I can count on every time!
That being said, just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it's better.
Find something that fits you, then research the piss out of it