What's new

What's in your bowl today

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Custom blended VaPer from @RevSmoke thanks Todd! It's delicious!
Nice looking Stanwell. @VeLoRoK
Glad you enjoyed the smoke. Had a bowl last night as well.
Wonderful sweetness was predominant, but there was the hint of some spice, and some wonderful hints of prunes on the palate, and in the nose. The finish was nicely prunish with rich sweetness.

What were your thoughts on it?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Nice looking Stanwell. @VeLoRoK
Glad you enjoyed the smoke. Had a bowl last night as well.
Wonderful sweetness was predominant, but there was the hint of some spice, and some wonderful hints of prunes on the palate, and in the nose. The finish was nicely prunish with rich sweetness.

What were your thoughts on it?
As I cut open the bag and stuck my nose in i immediately got the sweet sunsweet brand pruney aroma. Very powerful aroma. After a moment, I stuck my face back in and got, even more clearly than the prunes, the aroma of this jam I made last summer. I used buckwheat honey and strawberries and a hint of lemon juice and it smelled exactly like this delicious baccy.

On light, it was sweet Virginia that (in my limited experience) reminded me of the red cake I tried a couple days back, with a bit of musty sweetness. There perique really became noticeable in there second half, with that funky sweetness and wet leaf-in-the-gutter musty spice.

My father used to, at times, smoke straight perique. After i finished smoking I understood how he would always have the worst breath in the world! That would be the only thing that didn't tickle me about it. Perique breath eww!

Really, though, it burned well, tasted great, and was just the thing i needed after a long day at the zoo with my little BFF.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
As I cut open the bag and stuck my nose in i immediately got the sweet sunsweet brand pruney aroma. Very powerful aroma. After a moment, I stuck my face back in and got, even more clearly than the prunes, the aroma of this jam I made last summer. I used buckwheat honey and strawberries and a hint of lemon juice and it smelled exactly like this delicious baccy.

On light, it was sweet Virginia that (in my limited experience) reminded me of the red cake I tried a couple days back, with a bit of musty sweetness. There perique really became noticeable in there second half, with that funky sweetness and wet leaf-in-the-gutter musty spice.

My father used to, at times, smoke straight perique. After i finished smoking I understood how he would always have the worst breath in the world! That would be the only thing that didn't tickle me about it. Perique breath eww!

Really, though, it burned well, tasted great, and was just the thing i needed after a long day at the zoo with my little BFF.
Sounds like a great day. Always great to spend the day with loved ones.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was with my youngest over Christmas break. We went to have a smoke. He said, "Hey dad, what do you have in your pipe? That smell reminds me of salmon fishing with you when you smoked your pipe." It was G&H Louisiana Flake in my pipe, and he was right - when I went salmon fishing that was what I smoked, almost predominantly. He asked, "You have another bowl's worth?" Of course, I did. He filled his bowl and commented, "I know how it smelled, it tastes amazing." I sent him back to college with about 4oz worth of that and 4oz of PS Luxury Navy Flake & PS Luxury Twist Flake. He said those around him liked the PS LTF best, but he likes the GH LF best.

Good to share hobbies with you sons.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Great picture of what looks like to be a very happy young lady. Way to go dad!....

Rating - 100%
7   0   0

R.O Firestorm in the Rivera pipe @cigarblunk sent.

The pipe smokes like a dream. The tobacco is pretty awesome as well. There is dark fruit, plums, pepper, raisins (big in the last third), wood, and something that reminds me of my father-in-law making cinnamon tea.

This is exactly the blend I wanted and didn't know it.

Edit:
This is a deep chamber. I couldn't get enough heat down in to the bowl to burn all of the tobacco. I had two scoops (Czech tool) of unburnt leaf in the bottom. Any suggestions on how to combat that in the future?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Edit:
This is a deep chamber. I couldn't get enough heat down in to the bowl to burn all of the tobacco. I had two scoops (Czech tool) of unburnt leaf in the bottom. Any suggestions on how to combat that in the future?
I'll try to help; im new to the forum so if you already know some of this or it's been said, I apologize! First, that is a seriously deep bowl. Could prove to be tough to smoke that all the way down. Second, Don't worry about it, totally normal. You did the right thing by dumping it, you can get wicked mouth burn trying to get it going again at that point. Was the tobacco at the bottom moist? Also normal, especially so if the pipe is newer and hasn't formed a solid carbon cake yet. Even after a cake is formed this can happen especially with a pipe with a chamber like that. - continued --->

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
The little bit of steam from burning most of the bowl can collect at the bottom. Make sure the tobacco is nice and dry. Smoking slow and steady helps the baccy burn evenly. Tamp not often but regularly (very lightly). Also puff and tamp! It helps keep the pipe going. There are some pipe smokers that smoke everything in the bowl - there are also some well respected pipe smokers that won't smoke the last 1/3 of the bowl because it can be a different flavor profile, it gets moist or they just don't want to - they just dump it and start fresh - think similar to the ass of a beer. Sometimes it's still cold enough (the beer) to finish, sometimes you just let it go. If it smokes to the bottom, great, if not, great!

The more you smoke you will also get bowls that you pack perfectly and smoke all the way down with only one relight.

MOST important tip - don't think about it, just relax and enjoy. :)

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The little bit of steam from burning most of the bowl can collect at the bottom. Make sure the tobacco is nice and dry. Smoking slow and steady helps the baccy burn evenly. Tamp not often but regularly (very lightly). Also puff and tamp! It helps keep the pipe going. There are some pipe smokers that smoke everything in the bowl - there are also some well respected pipe smokers that won't smoke the last 1/3 of the bowl because it can be a different flavor profile, it gets moist or they just don't want to - they just dump it and start fresh - think similar to the ass of a beer. Sometimes it's still cold enough (the beer) to finish, sometimes you just let it go. If it smokes to the bottom, great, if not, great!

The more you smoke you will also get bowls that you pack perfectly and smoke all the way down with only one relight.

MOST important tip - don't think about it, just relax and enjoy. :)

I didn't thinknto check the moisture level. I'm just getting to a briar pipe instead of cob or hard wood. I haven't had an issue with moisture before, but now I'm finding a little in the bottom of the bowl when I'm done. So, that could be the issue.

Last edited: