What's new

What's in your bowl today

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'm going to throw all my pipes and tobacco in the trash if i can't figure out how to enjoy a bowl without relighting every two minutes. Bone dry crispy tobacco, wet tobacco, light tamp, strong tamp, slow sips, chugging like a choo-choo, makes no difference it goes out after three or four puffs every time. Today's offender, Stoke's luxury twist.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I'm going to throw all my pipes and tobacco in the trash if i can't figure out how to enjoy a bowl without relighting every two minutes. Bone dry crispy tobacco, wet tobacco, light tamp, strong tamp, slow sips, chugging like a choo-choo, makes no difference it goes out after three or four puffs every time. Today's offender, Stoke's luxury twist.
The key to having no relights is how you begin. In the same way you toast the foot of a cigar to get it started prior to actually lighting it - same thing with a pipe. Many call it the "Charring Light." Check out the section under "Lighting Procedures"
https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The key to having no relights is how you begin. In the same way you toast the foot of a cigar to get it started prior to actually lighting it - same thing with a pipe. Many call it the "Charring Light." Check out the section under "Lighting Procedures"
https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/howto/packing.cfm
And it's not that I want or expect "no relights" as you mentioned, but I can't get four draws. I light (this is at any time throughout the smoke) and I (read somewhere that during lighting "don't pussyfoot around") really get it going, get a nice mouthful of smoke, and wait 30-60 seconds for the next long, slow sip. I get maybe half of the smoke as I did with the light. Another 30-60 seconds and I'm lucky to get a faint wisp of smoke, and I have to relight. This is every time. So I either puff too fast and wind up with tongue bite and gurgles (and still it will go out eventually, which makes sense because of the moisture built-up) or it goes out. Again and again and again… it's getting frustrating beyond the point of potential enjoyment.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
And it's not that I want or expect "no relights" as you mentioned, but I can't get four draws. I light (this is at any time throughout the smoke) and I (read somewhere that during lighting "don't pussyfoot around") really get it going, get a nice mouthful of smoke, and wait 30-60 seconds for the next long, slow sip. I get maybe half of the smoke as I did with the light. Another 30-60 seconds and I'm lucky to get a faint wisp of smoke, and I have to relight. This is every time. So I either puff too fast and wind up with tongue bite and gurgles (and still it will go out eventually, which makes sense because of the moisture built-up) or it goes out. Again and again and again… it's getting frustrating beyond the point of potential enjoyment.
Tamp lightly in-between the initial lights will help

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I fought the 3-pack method when I started. Once I started packing using the German/Frank Method, my enjoyment increased significantly. I also always rub out coins or flakes.

Grab a few different tins of Dunhill if you don't have any already. Their ribbon cut is really, really easy to work with.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I fought the 3-pack method when I started. Once I started packing using the German/Frank Method, my enjoyment increased significantly. I also always rub out coins or flakes.

Grab a few different tins of Dunhill if you don't have any already. Their ribbon cut is really, really easy to work with.
I've tried the Frank method vs. the sprinkle tamp sprinkle tamp sprinkle tamp. I've rubbed out, I've fold and packed… somewhere along the line I'm doing something(s) wrong. I've read the stuff, watched the videos, and I just can't get it. So I don't really know what to try differently. Sorry for venting in this thread.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I've tried the Frank method vs. the sprinkle tamp sprinkle tamp sprinkle tamp. I've rubbed out, I've fold and packed… somewhere along the line I'm doing something(s) wrong. I've read the stuff, watched the videos, and I just can't get it. So I don't really know what to try differently. Sorry for venting in this thread.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you have a local pipe club? Maybe swing by and get some tips in person.