What's new

What's in your bowl today

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I on the other hand always use the 2-3 pack method . If this is happening even with super dry bacco, it might be getting packed too tight. For what it's worth my routine is -
Gravity fill bowl, tamp down with 3/10 pressure. Gravity fill bowl and tamp 5/10 pressure. If there is room fill even with bowl height and tamp 6 out of 10 pressure. Char light stirring the flame around 2-3 times while medium - strong puffs . Take long slow draws . It will usually go out after a minute or two - then tamp down lightly to compact top layer .
True light - light again stirring the bowl once or twice with 2-3 good draws should get her going. Tip - when starting the true light or relights - only use the lighter for just a second and then draw heavy to get it going to avoid lighter bite. So you use more air, and the embers to get her going than using the flame to get her going, if that makes sense . Pm me if you want! It took me a few months to get a good handle on it so don't get discouraged (y)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
tamp every 10 mins or so also, gently, just to compact the ash. If you can sense it getting weak, puff while tamping. Probably all stuff everyone has already heard but ... my two cents

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I on the other hand always use the 2-3 pack method . If this is happening even with super dry bacco, it might be getting packed too tight. For what it's worth my routine is -
Gravity fill bowl, tamp down with 3/10 pressure. Gravity fill bowl and tamp 5/10 pressure. If there is room fill even with bowl height and tamp 8 out of 10 pressure. Char light stirring the flame around 2-3 times while medium - strong puffs . Take long slow draws . It will usually go out after a minute or two - then tamp down lightly to compact top layer .
True light - light again stirring the bowl once or twice with 2-3 good draws should get her going. Tip - when starting the true light or relights - only use the lighter for just a second and then draw heavy to get it going to avoid lighter bite. So you use more air, and the embers to get her going than using the flame to get her going, if that makes sense . Pm me if you want! It took me a few months to get a good handle on it so don't get discouraged (y)
The air vs. lighter method I haven't heard before, I'll try that. Will report back.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Thanks for taking the time. The hovering finger thing looks like a good thing to try. I'm not going to give up. Also I bet it's lots easier with shag cut stuff like that, would that be correct?
Ya it lights faster. Just a little more time with ribbon, even more with flake. As long as your false light gets all the baccy on top burning before you let it go out and tamp to a flat disk.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
Thanks man. Here's what I saw that I think will help, right before you took puffs with your fingers over the bowl, you had that not-a-lot-of-smoke puff. That's what I always get just before it dies. So the fingers, for me. I must try. Tomorrow. I shall report back.
Ya helps stoke that cherry. Put fingers over loosely and puff, don't have to 100% block it.