What's new

What's the next hot brand?

NicaNick

Nick~R~Agua
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Nick have a non-compete? Just wondering as he's already posting about blends he's trying and I was wondering if his boy JD let him go free and clear knowing he was selling the company anyway?
Bless up ! It's in the works. Debut at IPCPR New Orleans 2015 and first shipments are looking to arrive Sept. 2015. It will all be revealed in press releases - coming soon. I appreciate the support and have dedicated my life to this industry. I hope my first brand to be a reflection of my experience living in Nicaragua for the past 12 years. More to come soon. Saludos

NicaNick

Nick~R~Agua
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure somewhere on this board someone mentioned that he does have a non-compete but it runs out this summer.
May have been @ssaka (apologies for the tag if not)
My non-compete ended January of this year. I have been working very hard on my debut brand and launching a new company that will soon be announced. I have put my heart and soul into this project as I have for the past 12years. I am looking forward to releasing at this years IPCPR and for first cigars to arrive to the States come September.

NicaNick

Nick~R~Agua
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate that blending, branding, and being the "idea guy" takes a certain kind of skill and know-how, I'd really like to see a more vertically integrated newcomer step into the limelight.

It seems every guy with a tattoo and a record collection is putting out a similar cigar brand, and it's tiring. I could really get behind a guy who spends time in the fields and gets his hands dirty while simultaneously building a strong and genuine brand. Someone who can actually grow and roll the leaf but also capture the imagination and develop a fresh and innovative company while staying grounded to tradition.

I'm the biggest Tatuaje fan and if the relationship with Pepin is working, why change it. Guys like Huber and Gellis are doing cool things. But I respect a watchmaker who makes a movement in-house. A pair of high end Japanese jeans commands much more of my admiration, because I know the artisan who made those jeans knows their craft from the inside out, and actually makes every stitch. I couldn't imagine an idea guy making it in the craft beer business without running an actual brewery.

Yes we have Padron, Pepin, Fuente et al. but a new release from their likes is not the most exiting thing in the world. And these families have a long tradition in the cigar business. I respect J. Drew for packing his bags, heading to Nicaragua, getting his hands in the mud and learning how to take a seedling and turn it into a fine smoke. And then actually doing it. It was ballsy, and it was American as hell.

The next guy who does this and puts out solid, genuine smokes (but please hold the flavored sticks and the whole selling to Swisher thing) and can build an engaging and captivating brand will get my money and my following.
Saludos !

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't know anything about Warped Cigars, but I must admit I was very impressed by their design aesthetic. At this year's tradeshow I spent quite a bit of time admiring their presentation and packaging design - it was apparent to me that they put a lot of effort and skill into everything they were displaying. I think I may have actually creeped out the guys working in their booth a bit because I was staring so intently at their products. Just as I don't know them, they obviously didn't know me so I can only imagine what they thought of some fat bastard like me scoping their product out so long.

I need to make a point of trying their cigars.

STS
I've had several of their lines and have been impressed with them all. Especially the El Oso. Wonderfully tasty sticks.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
My non-compete ended January of this year. I have been working very hard on my debut brand and launching a new company that will soon be announced. I have put my heart and soul into this project as I have for the past 12years. I am looking forward to releasing at this years IPCPR and for first cigars to arrive to the States come September.
That is music to all of our ears, good to see you around bro and hopefully run in to you at IPCPR

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So cool some of the blenders are contributing to this thread.

I think crowned heads is ok with their Las Calaveras 2014 made them a fan boy company. I loved the LC when it first came out but with a years rest it lost a lot imo. Not really rushing out to get any of their other stuff either.
Warped I have heard great things but they are just priced out of my range to consider when their are so many cigars I know I like and would rather spend that kind of coin on. LG small batch for one (I wish LFD would get some more love).
Roma Craft I love all their smokes and the price right. I think they have a good chance at catching some steam I just hope their prices don't go up as their popularity does.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - Personally, I can't wait to see what Nicholas (NicaNick) comes out with...I'm fortunate to count him as a friend, and I believe he will forget more about what he's learned about tobacco than most of the self-proclaimed "master blenders" these days will ever learn. Period.

And on-topic: Love what Kyle (Warped) is doing, Big fan of Willy's (Herrera), and definitely include Skip (RomaCraft) on that short list, too.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Mr. McSquirelly

Joe Bananas
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nicholas Melillo announced his new company today, Foundation Cigar Co. He's joining hands with Eduardo Fernandez. Been a big fan of Casa Fernandez since 2013. Sounds like he's sorting through some of that anejamiento AGANORSA leaf!!! Arsenio Ramos and Nicholas Melillo sharing blending ideas... Here's the story: http://halfwheel.com/nicholas-melillo-announces-foundation-cigar-co/86858

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been really impressed with warped and HVC lately. Also, if you haven't tried a Cabal, you absolutely need to. His regular line is great, and he just released an "esoteric" line that sold out before I could get my hands on one