What's new

Wha'ts your commute like?

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a 12 mile drive that takes about 15-20 minutes.

Only 3 traffic lights and I can time them with my speed to make the last two If I miss the first one.
7 years of the same drive I had to do something to break up the boredom.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My 29-mile (one-way) commute starts at my home in Peters Creek. A good 2/3rds of the southbound trip is on the Glenn Highway, passing by the communities of Chugiak, Birchwood, Eagle River, and two military bases. Keeping me company on my commute, are several thousand complete morons who seem to have forgotten how to drive in Alaska...if, indeed, they ever knew. Many of these folks enjoy a more leisurely pace, slowing down to take in the sights...like the back ends and undercarriages of those who suddenly found themselves in a ditch after a short but very exciting detour.

After reaching Anchorage proper, the inbound Glenn becomes 5th Avenue as it takes me to and through downtown Anchorage. Ten or 15 minutes more and 4 or 5 turns finds me at my office on the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I get on I-75 South at 3:10 AM for 30 miles to M-59 East for another 23 to Mt. Clemens, MI arrive at 4:00 AM. Catch 3 of 12 lights while on M-59 through Sterling Heights, Utica and Clinton Township. Not much traffic in the early AM.Trip home starts at 4:01 PM with arrival home between 5:15 and 5:30 PM. More traffic in the afternoon with malls and such. No Smokes yet, they're still in the mail. Timing is such that everyone going to/ from Pontiac and Detroit are travelling oppisite of my drive.:santa: :santa: :driving:

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
roughly 11 miles.......

some days it can take me 15-20 minutes....

and some it can take me an hour and a half....

I love atlanta traffic.... And I really havent smoked in the car in awhile, I need to start though.....might calm the road-rage a little....

Rutkus

Newb Puke
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
about 30-40 minutes one way, depending on which office i'm going to. love having a company car, have my mp3 player for the afternoon and listen to a great morning show. I never smoke cigars on my way to or from work however.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Side note: I find myself driving different ways at night so I can look at all the different Christmas lights!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
caudio51 said:
Side note: I find myself driving different ways at night so I can look at all the different Christmas lights!

I actually do the same thing.... i live blocks away from one of the richest streets in Atlanta, So it is crazy to see what these people do with the lights at their 6 million dollar homes.....

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My work drive takes 30 minutes by highway and 20 minutes by back road. Figure that one out. Has to due with the sun glare. On the highway people just about come to a stop form it, but on the back roads the trees seems to block it. Niether way has a nice view. The highway is boring mostly through manufacting areas and the back roads go through low income housing or in other words the projects. Either way its around 17-20 miles. On weekends, I can get on the highway and be at the office in 12 minutes.

Also in CT you drive like an idiot. I don't care who you are, while in CT you go into IBTW mode (idiot behind the wheel) I think worse then any other state. It makes for an ineresting commute every day.

The only enjoyable part is the smoke I have on the ride home.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Derek, I agree with the IBTW mode. Those CT drivers suck! (not that NJ drivers are any better I guess)

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm six blocks from work so I drop the kids off at the school, go a mile to McD's for breakfast and drive back to the school. No time to smoke.

ATCDub

Lowly Civil Servant
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Mine's about 10 miles and takes 10-15 minutes. Hey shift work does have some advantages. Boring ride though, no time for smokes.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
DWavs said:
2.2 miles...5 minutes.
That's almost exactly my distsance. I did a mapquest to give me the distance: 2.1 miles from front door to Daycare, then to work. I can actually see my work from the end of my street, but it's across the Fwy. Now, when I was living in sunny So. Cal? 17 miles from Anahiem to Tustin. 45 mins. in the am, 60-75 mins. in the pm. i don't miss it one bit.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Five block walk to the subway ... L train ... five stops ... up the stairs and one block to work

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hal said:
:squinteye

3:10am????? Where do you work?
I work at DuPont OEM paint plant in Mt Clemens, MI. With 12 hours being 12 hours no matter when I start, I start when traffic is lightest for the drive. My schedule isn't bad either. It's a 28 day cycle, working two weekends a month and only WORKING 14 days in the month. The cycle goes like this:
Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun
w w o o o w w

o o o o w w w

o o w w w o o

w w w w o o o
:stretchgr