What's new

What's your person criteria for buying something again?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My intention to starting this thread was to share how I make my choices, my system for rating, what important to me.

Last I was looking for the way, reason, other members decide what to repurchase.;)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I logged a lot of smokes in my cigar journal in the beginning but now it’s more so like others have mentioned. Love it, like it, or never again type deal.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I logged a lot of smokes in my cigar journal in the beginning but now it’s more so like others have mentioned. Love it, like it, or never again type deal.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk
I never ever started keep note until I had a computer back in 1992 ish, it is so easy.

Cigar Brand Name - Blend Name - Size or No Special Size. Simple Total Point Rasting Number. 0 - 10

If some special info is need to be noted, I just have a Secret Code I will not share, if I do it is not my secret.;)

I can pull up rating list up 1,2,3, and compair recent experiences, with rating. Or see if I ever rated something good, bad, or indifferent before. When I am away from home a paper note is transferred to the computer.

The problem in 2018 v/s 1970 is there are so many more Cigars & Bl3end with a Brfand on the market today compared to long ago. Perdomo is a good example, they have like 20 different blends, or variations of blends. Same blends with three different wrappers = three different experiences.

Thank goodness for a computer.

Hope the day come when I will narrow my buying, or repurchasing to 10 - 15 Brands, but honeslty when I think about only 15. It seem to small number to keep variety interesting.

Plus take a Brand like My Father, they are several blends in the line I just do not like, then blends in the line that get high numbers.

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
yeah,the ash thing is pretty meaningless.
It was born from new reviewers running out of any salient info,and employing poetic license.
which is not quite to say lying..................

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
'Ash thing" is important, as a Cigar that will product a nice even ash is a quality indicator IMHO. I tent to let the ash get Long as it protect the hot sport on the foot, and IMH produces a cool smoke.

MHO

BTW the writer for the Cigar Rags (publicational) have great job, free cigars, and swag. Jealous?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
usually i buy a fiver initially, or if a botl has a sampler up on the trade section ill trade for one, and then smoke one then, and then let one age a few months(or longer) and if both experiences were enjoyable(especially if the aged one was better) i get a box. but i think long and hard about box purchases since i can only make one a two a month, sometimes less.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Buying five to try is a good idea, even if #1 is Dog Poop, it could get better in time. Punishment is smoking #3-#5 when Number one, and two are crap.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm gonna start putting this as the description in "Appearance" for all of my BMP reviews.

Apprence is like "beauty" everyone ideas are different. Fist time I saw a VW Bug it was ugly. After owning about 5 or 7. I loved those Bugs. Ran forever, got great mileage, not much to maintain, they were just great cars. The old one with rear engines.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started smoking cigars only a year ago and I started doing personal reviews on Facebook just for my own fun and to keep track of what I like. Some friends like my reviews and some are Puritans who think enjoying a cigar is a sin, it matters not to me.

The rating system I use has six categories; flavor, complexity, balance, finish, construction, and value. Not all categories are weighted the same and value can play a huge roll in my rating. My wife bought me a Davidoff Colorado Claro for Christmas and that was one of the best cigars I have smoked, but she paid nearly 30 bucks so I ain't rushing out to get more. I am not afraid of paying up, but those are special occasion sticks.

So basically if I like it and it isn't made of gold I'll buy again. But I am still new and trying new sticks as much as I can. I also only smoke once or twice a week so a five pack can last me a long time between trying new cigars and smoking a favorite.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I started smoking cigars only a year ago and I started doing personal reviews on Facebook just for my own fun and to keep track of what I like. Some friends like my reviews and some are Puritans who think enjoying a cigar is a sin, it matters not to me.

The rating system I use has six categories; flavor, complexity, balance, finish, construction, and value. Not all categories are weighted the same and value can play a huge roll in my rating. My wife bought me a Davidoff Colorado Claro for Christmas and that was one of the best cigars I have smoked, but she paid nearly 30 bucks so I ain't rushing out to get more. I am not afraid of paying up, but those are special occasion sticks.

So basically if I like it and it isn't made of gold I'll buy again. But I am still new and trying new sticks as much as I can. I also only smoke once or twice a week so a five pack can last me a long time between trying new cigars and smoking a favorite.

Great comments.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
"The Smile Effect"

Does it make me smile when I think about the last time I smoked it?
If yes, I'll buy it again. If not, then it wasn't very memorable and not worth revisiting.
Definitely have a liking for this rating system :) pretty much sums up any other rating scales/systems out their that are numerically based. I tend to use a 5 point scale (based on burn, flavor, construction, price and overall experience with each rated differently; with flavor and burn being two of the highest rated) just cause I have one set up in my excel spreadsheet for all the cigars I have bought and smoked, so it works well. Maybe I'll switch to smiley faces and frowny faces lol. You think excel can do that for me?

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Definitely have a liking for this rating system :) pretty much sums up any other rating scales/systems out their that are numerically based. I tend to use a 5 point scale (based on burn, flavor, construction, price and overall experience with each rated differently; with flavor and burn being two of the highest rated) just cause I have one set up in my excel spreadsheet for all the cigars I have bought and smoked, so it works well. Maybe I'll switch to smiley faces and frowny faces lol. You think excel can do that for me?
I'm sure Excel can accommodate you. ☺

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started smoking Cigars in 2004. I still consider myself as a beginner, as every time I smoke with other BOTL, I keep learning and learning and will never stop the enjoyment of learning.
However, I try all possible type of Cigars (though I cheat sometimes and come back to my special stogies).
To keep track of what I tried, I write down the Cigar notes over a special Cigar Notebook that I found online; I guess I bought a bunch of 3 Cigar Notebooks for $20 or 30.
Here's a photo of the inside:
Cigar Notebook.jpg

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I just kept a list of the cigars I liked and the ones I didn't. When I was starting out I would go buy 5 different sticks every week and try them out until I figured out what I liked.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I started smoking Cigars in 2004. I still consider myself as a beginner, as every time I smoke with other BOTL, I keep learning and learning and will never stop the enjoyment of learning.
However, I try all possible type of Cigars (though I cheat sometimes and come back to my special stogies).
To keep track of what I tried, I write down the Cigar notes over a special Cigar Notebook that I found online; I guess I bought a bunch of 3 Cigar Notebooks for $20 or 30.
Here's a photo of the inside:
View attachment 111672

That is very cool.