What's new

Which cigar sent you down the slippery slope

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
For me, the cigar that had the slope going was an Oliva V, but what propelled it was a Tat Hav Cazadore. After that, it wasnt a slope as much as it was vertical. And as far as CC's, if i ever get a notice from customs, it's b/c of PSD4.

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
This time around it was a PSD4.
How many times have you cycled into this hobby?

I'm on my second time through.

Very first cigar that grabbed me was the (non-cuban) H. Upmann 2000 lonsdale. I smoked a bunch of those for a while and occasionally bought handfuls of random cigars to try. I pretty much got bored of the hobby a few years back. Was probably smoking 2-3/yr.

This time around the one that got me back in was an old Ashton Maduro that I'd picked up years earlier as a random splurge, dropped in the humidor, and forgotten about. That led to cigar shop visits, and late nights reading on the internet, and of course this place. Lurked for a while, and finally gave in.

It's been pretty crazy since then.

-Charles

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
The one that really got me going was the CAO Brazilia Gol!. I'd smoked many cigars before that, but the flavors much more pronounced than anything I'd smoked previously. That cigar really got me hooked.

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
DPG Black

i had been smoking crap General Cigar mild bull shit for years hoping i would find a brand i liked... then someone introduced me to the fuller and peppery world of cigars!!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
LFD Double Ligero, Gurkha Shaggy, and AVO Maduros. First time I ever wanted another cigar the next day was after an LFD Oscuro Double Ligero....I sat there and smelled the residue on the band and it was slowly downhill until I bought a humidor from that point.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
From 1997 to early 2008 I would smoke Montecristo white labels and a few other General and Altidas products while golfing or playing cards. Then I went to a Binnys by me and bought a Tatuaje Unicos. I STILL remember smoking that cigar on my patio that spring day thinking.....wow this is what a great cigar taste like! I couldn't stop thinking about it and went to the burning leaf the next morning to buy a bunch of singles.
2+ years later and I have traveled to Estile w Pete, Pepin a few BoTLers and now own a couple vino28s. What a great cigar and a great hobby!
That Tat Uni is what also led me in Sept of 08 to Botl on a google search.

The BurgerMeister

the devil is a busy man.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, i bought a Gurkha Black Dragon with the wedding money. after smoking away $1,000, i decided "hey, that was well worth it!" and kept on going. my wife wasn't happy, she thought we should've used the money to buy ourselves a new TV or something... but... :cbig:

:stretchgr

i don't know... it was probably a Cohiba or something. i can't quite remember. i do remember one that i've never been able to find since... it had a rose on the band. it was a great day, i got it in Haddonfield, NJ during some kind of street fair or something, and then went to the beach with some friends to smoke it. good times + good cigar = slippery slope love.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked the Reserve Real RYJ to start but it wasn't untill I had my first Padron that I realized cigars could actually have taste. All downhill from there.....

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
^^^

nice avatar... Dita Von Teese right? googled that pic and i think she's smoking a monte. god I love her.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
For me it was a Fuente Royal Salute which I smoked and then promptly went and threw up after. Still I enjoyed it enough before the nausea hit me that I wanted to try more. :wink:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
5 Vegas Miami (Jaime Garcia) got me into buying cigars again.
CAO Black, RP OWR/Fusion/Vintage '92, and 5 Vegas Gold got me hooked on buying cigars by the ton.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
For me, it was the first REAL cigar I bought, not at a gas station!
Pretty much the same here, I had friends 10+ years ago who smoked premiums on the course and occasionally I would tell them to pick me up something cheap or grab a 4 pack at the gas station. I finally went in a B&M with them before a round one time, got a little lesson and ended up picking up an LGC R Series #4 Maduro and that was the beginning of the journey.