What's new

Which is best for growing cigar storage?

What is the easiest way to store larger amounts of cigars? Think of price, setup, and maintenance.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I thought the extra fan wasn't absolutely necessary? I was thinking of getting a wine cooler after I get paid this week cause our weather has been fluctuating alot, and it's making me paranoid lol
I don't have any extra fans in mine, and it's sitting at 66% top, and 65% bottom. That works for me.
i dont have fans in my wineador, RH is pretty steady but i think im gonna add the ETC and some fans because it tends to drop when the cooler is on, which is all the time. right now its unplugged. im going to vote for wineador because im scared of beetles.
I did however install an ETC. It helps a lot IMHO. Right now the unit only runs for a few minutes 4 or 5 times a day, and it stays around 68*-69*. When it does run, the top hygrometer will drop 1-2%. Once it shuts off, the rh reading jumps back up fairly quickly. There's a school of thought that says when the unit is cooling, it causes the hygrometer to read a little low, but this doesn't necessarily mean your sticks are experiencing the same drop. That's where I'm at right now.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I started out with a 75-100 count desktop humidor and like everybody else I outgrew that little fellow pretty quickly. I did the same research you are doing now and then decided to go the Coolidor way and have never looked back. For $27 at Canadian Tire I purchased a brand new Coleman Poly-Lite 48 quart cooler, a digital temperature/humidity gauge for $10 and then ordered a Xikar Crystal Humidifier 250 Rectangular from www.famous-smoke.com for around $26. Then just grab a $5 jug of distilled water for the Humidifier and boom.....for a grand total of about $70 you have storage capacity for easily 10-12 boxes of cigars or a shit ton of singles organized neatly in bags, boxes or trays. The Coolidor might not be sexy to look at but you can't smoke sexy...lol. I now have 3 Coolidors and in the event of a massive storm/flood/disaster.....I can lash them together and make a lifesaving raft and drift to safety with my beloved stogies. :)

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
^^^ i dunno ^^^

Iv'e owned coolers, a wineador, 2x cabinets, and countless desktops...

far and away the wineador had the best RH control (best seal overall.. and its a metal/plastic, non permeable box.. )... and obviously the best temp control to boot...

That said.. I love my cabinet (both the current one.. and the last one I had).. and wont be going back to a wineador..

Im just planning on installing a temp control unit in it soon (already have built a "test" thermoelectric unit.. now I just need to build a bigger/better one..)..

RH control in the cabinet is easy enough (although not as easy as the wineador was).. just by virtue of its size, I have a ton of SC in there from all the box storage, shelves, trays, lining of the walls and floor, etc.. its sealed well.. and, again, by virtue of its size, I've got a ton of RH media in there (an active unit, about 4lbs of KL, and about a dozen bovedas).. so I end up having to add a little DW about once a month or every 6 weeks in the winter.. and MAYBE once every 2-3 months the rest of the year..

But with the old wineador I had.. I added DW maybe once during the winter.. and two more times during the rest of the year.. and that was it.. its was "set and forget" for the most part..

That was with me getting in there almost every day...

I was amazed at its RH control honestly..

If youre talking a "high end" cabinet like an aristocrat or an avallo.. that might be different (I dont own either.. but would imagine they seal up like a champ)... but.. now youre also talking about a serious investment.. one where you could buy 5-10 wineadors, or 50 coolers... for the same money...

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Coolers have been the best solution for me but only because I keep them in the lower level / basement of my house in a room that stays at 63-65* year round. You can bet your sweet ass that if I lived someplace warmer like Florida, California or Texas and did not have a basement I would be the proud owner of 3-4 wineadors.

SouthernerInSask

© MCMLXI
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ive had only coolers for maybe 5 years, both here and in Georgia. A good quality cooler with a good seal maintains humidity very well. And you save money which is better spent on cigars...

Freezing is good beetle prevention

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
In your situation Id go with coolers. Depending on the rate you grow your stash vs moving to a larger more permanent space. Bang for the buck and space for the buck that's what I'd do. Then when u move just put the coolers in the car. And move

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
My temp jumped up to 79 for a bit today. Said fuck it and ordered the wine cooler. It's nice, but also sucks in a way cause I was gonna use that money to buy cigars lol
It will be a "buy once, cry once" situation for you, Ed. I think you'll be happy. Now, about RH media for that thing... I hear that a bunch of rolled up tobacco will really help keep the humidity in balance. I know just the thing!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
It will be a "buy once, cry once" situation for you, Ed. I think you'll be happy. Now, about RH media for that thing... I hear that a bunch of rolled up tobacco will really help keep the humidity in balance. I know just the thing!
I think I have some laying around in the cooler I currently got. Thanks for the advice though, clint!