What's new

Which is best for growing cigar storage?

What is the easiest way to store larger amounts of cigars? Think of price, setup, and maintenance.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Definitely some great options here mentioned. I have a 100 count desktop, and then bought the wineador. For me it is worth the money for temperature control (when I lived in Southern California, we had some 100+ degree summers). It doesn't get too warm here in Seattle now. It just depends on your budget, personal preference, and how many sticks you are looking to store. I say err on the side of going larger because you will always find some cigars to buy or trade for, you'll need the room!

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I went with the coolidor because I already had the cooler and I am not worried about high temps. I have been scouting Craigs list to find a used wine cooler but will wait until the price is right. I also have a all stainless freezer that quit and have given thought to making it a storage place or turn it into a nice smoker.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
GO BIG. You will outgrow every possible storage solution.
Not necessarily. I used to have my three Wineadors pretty full. I could probably fit everything into one now if I consolidated. It all depends on your situation. My situation required me to slim down the collection.

In general I can see (and concede) the point, but I wouldn't recommend just going big for the sale of going big.

I'd recommend a cooler that will allow for a moderate amount of expansion. Coolers are relatively inexpensive and quick to set up,so if you have to go bigger after a while it's not major loss, just give the smaller cooler to an up and coming smoker and move on to the next size up. But having a huge amount of storage for a smaller stash just stokes the fire to stock up more than necessary, and sooner.

I used to recommend people jump in and go big, but with coolers as cheap as they are, I'd recommend going a big slower.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got several desktops and a very large plastic storage container for box storage. I keep it in the basement so I'm never concerned about temp. A couple bags of KL and the boxes/ cigars themselves keep the thing rock solid at 63-65%. I think I've added water once over the last year. Your personal situation and priorities will drive your optimal choice. For me, I'm set.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for coolidor. It is what I use and have little if no problems. Much better then the humidors I have had.
I have a 70 quart coolidor.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I wasn't expecting this result haha. The hype on wineadors is so big here, I am surprised coolidors won by such a large gap.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
I wasn't expecting this result haha. The hype on wineadors is so big here, I am surprised coolidors won by such a large gap.
I think each method has it's place, and I voted coolidor even though I'm rocking two wineadors myself.
You asked for the best for growing storage though, not necessarily the classiest/best presentation.
Most efficient/practical definitely = cooler!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you live in a small apartment, space efficiency and aesthetics should be your primary concern.. Tupperware and Boveda packs sound like a good idea for storage, that's what I'm mostly doing and I'm pleased with it so far. I'm not even bothering with hygrometers in most of my containers. Tupperware goes under beds or on low shelves. If one was very passionate for cigar smoking (I'm not), I would probably go for a wineador, just because it would look better than having a big cooler sitting around.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
At the end of the day its really up to you and whatever you preferences and financial position will allow, along with how quickly you need to get it up and running. If cost and ease of getting set up quickly are your number one priorities then I'd do a coolidor for sure, so long as you have a place to tuck it away. No woman I ever met would let me just have a giant white box in the middle of a room just chillin. But, if time and cost aren't the largest of concerns then I'd lean toward a wineador, but only if display is important to you. I'd see no point in spending the money on a wineador to stash it away in some dark closet.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started off a year ago and was faced with the same problem. Ask yourself first if the area you live requires temp control. If you do, wine cooler. Obviously a cooler if temps are not an issue. I have a dual zone Wineador and keep shelves n singles up top and boxes under. I had a cooler before this but the temps were an issue for me. That's the only reason I picked up a wine cooler. See what fits you and go from there. But temp control should be the deciding factor for you, not price.