What's new

Which Wrapper Do You Normally Prefer? (see Chart)

Which Wrapper Do You Normally Prefer? (see Chart)

• Double Claro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Claro

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Natural or Colorado Claro

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Corojo or Colorado

Votes: 38 17.3%
  • Camaroon or Colorado Maduro

Votes: 40 18.2%
  • Maduro

Votes: 88 40.0%
  • Oscuro

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Which Wrapper Do You Normally Prefer?

Over 100 wrapper shades are identified by manufacturers, but the seven most common classifications are as follows, from lightest to darkest.

Double Claro - Very light, slightly greenish (also called Candela, American Market Selection or jade); achieved by picking leaves before maturity and drying quickly, the color coming from retained green chlorophyll ; formerly popular, now rare.

Claro - Very light tan or yellowish. Indicative of shade-grown tobacco.

Natural or Colorado Claro - Medium brown, includes Natural and English Market Selection

Corojo or Colorado - Distinctive reddish-brown (also called Rosado)

Camaroon or Colorado Maduro - Darker brown; often associated with African wrapper from Camaroon, and Honduran or Nicaraguan grown wrapper from Cuban seed.

Maduro - Very dark brown or black; primarily grown in Connecticut, Mexico, Nicaragua and Brazil.

Oscuro - Very black, (also called Double Maduro), often oily in appearance; has become more popular in the 2000s; mainly grown in Cuba, Nicaragua, Brazil, Mexico, and Connecticut, USA.

Other - Please Explain

The wrapper determines much of the cigar's character and flavor, and as such its color is often used to describe the cigar as a whole. In general, dark wrappers add a touch of sweetness, while light ones add a hint of dryness to the taste. It is commonly accepted that the wrapper contributes about 40 percent of the flavor, while the filler and binder contributes the other 60 percent. It is generally accepted that maduro cigars are stronger in flavor than the same cigar in a lighter wrapper, but this does not apply to all cigars.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Really depends on my mood. I like them all when the stick is well made. If I was forced to choose one it would be sungrown/maduro.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I remember when I first got into cigars and looked at one of those generic cigar books. I think it was 'The Idiots Guide to Cigars'. Anyhow, they went into all these explanations of the different wrappers and classified them the same as your poll. I remember that these classifications with the exception of the candela wrapper always confused me. For instance, the LG Diez line has an LE with oscuro wrappers and is only indicated on the box, but it doesn't look like an oscuro wrapper, it looks like a colorado wrapper and to make it more confusing, the LG oscuro doesn't look much different than the regular line of LG Diez.

Two things I learned as a newbie...Quit trying to categorize the sticks based on color.

And most importantly, smoke first and ask questions later!

BTW, I went with colorado maduro.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The cameroon wrapper is by far my favorite. I love that subtle sweetness that it gives off.

I agree with smokinghole, the LFD Cameroon Cabinets are great smokes; as are the La Aurora Cameroon Preferidos.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I picked Maduro, but any of the darker 3 I mostly go for overall. But I am not set overall, I try to keep trying all kinds plus you never know when someone will make a great cigar with the wrapper you usually don't smoke.

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
I would be somewhat careful using specific types of wrapper leaves to describe a color. For example, Corojo cannot be found in just a colorado shade. Depending on fermentation, it can result in varying colors (and ultimately flavors imparted). A good example is Don Pepin's cigars. The Series JJ and Series JJ Maduro are both Corojo wrapper leaves. So is the El Rey de los Habanos...and that one is a Rosado Claro, which is lighter in color than the JJ.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
You know I thought the difference between a maduro and oscuro was the length of time and the temp the wrapper leaf was treated. The maduro being higher temp and short time with the oscuro being lower temp over longer period of time. Sort of the difference between frying something and low and slow bbq.

Plus I thought cameroon wrapper leaf was a cameroon not because of color but because of plant genetics.