What's new

Who is the most influential name in Cigars today?

Most Influential / Intriguing name in the Cigar Industry today.

• Don Jose Pepin Garcia

Votes: 96 60.0%
  • Ernesto Perez-Carrillo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pete Johnson

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Carlos Fuente

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Kiki Berber

• Henke Kelner

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Jonathan Drew

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Avo Uvezian

• Litto Gomez

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Actually the question was "Most Influential / Intriguing name in the Cigar Industry today." if you want to be snooty about it.
CMac, I didn't view tobi's response as being snotty, it's just hard to overlook everyone's involment with and the use of Oliva's tobacco through out the years, that's all.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
The last 5 years it's a no-brainer, the Dog Pound Gangster the one and only Pepin!!!

so what if he uses Oliva leaf.... he's the one creating the blends and I'm sure most of the leaf is his own farm. Correct me if Im wrong. :tiphat:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I'd say historically it would be Fuente or Padron, but right now The Don is definitely the "in" guy in the industry.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
What happened to Andre Farkas (Viaje)??!

Would have voted for Andre.

I did vote Pete...Great product, and a breath of fresh air in terms of creative, effective, outside the box marketing that many have imitated (including Andre).

He also provides top notch customer service

Fun poll...Thanks!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label - Oliva Tobacco

Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ - Oliva Tobacco

Tatuaje Noella, Reserva J21, Cojonu 2006 - Oliva Tobacco

Cabaiguan Belicosos Finos, Robustos Extra - Oliva Tobacco

601 - Oliva Tobacco

San Cristobal - Oliva Tobacco

Funny how that works, isn't it???

Again, it all depends on what you call "influence." In terms of SALES of cigars themselves, the name "Oliva Tobacco" means next to nothing. Only those who are insiders or who spend way too much time on cigar boards (like us) even know who they are. Of course, they grow great tobacco and many use it, as you pointed out, but I'm not sure whether I'd call that influence in the way the thread was intended. If the question was most important name in cigars, then I might give you Oliva Tobacco. I suppose it's semantics.

I'm not one to say the Dollar rules everything, but in the cigar industry is has been proven pretty true. In terms of influence, the Garcia name is GOLD right now, as is Padron. Carlito Fuente could put out a limited cigar with the description "Only a couple people in our entire organization love this cigar" and it would sell out. That's influence. Pete Johnson could put his name on a Tupe and people would buy them and wear them to herfs.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
CMac, I didn't view tobi's response as being snotty, it's just hard to overlook everyone's involment with and the use of Oliva's tobacco through out the years, that's all.
Actually I said "snooty", not "snotty".

"Hard to overlook", but yet you picked DPG(see post #2)

see post #28 for why I responded in the first place.....

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Actually I said "snooty", not "snotty".

"Hard to overlook", but yet you picked DPG(see post #2)

see post #28 for why I responded in the first place.....
Yes you did say snooty, not snotty....old timer's disease will do it to you every time. And yes, I did vote for Don Pepin, with a plug for Henke Kelner too.

But I truely believe it's hard to overlook Oliva's contribution as it relates to not only their cigars but the tobacco they grow and produce that so many other manufacturers use in there cigars.

Last edited:

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
I would love to vote for DPG or Pete but until I find a full box of the Don Carlos 75th's it has to be Fuente. Understand that my vote goes entirely to the one new cigar that I just can't find. May change next week. :) or tomorrow.

Oh yeah and Pete's Opus tat helps me feel better about my choice :D

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label - Oliva Tobacco

Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ - Oliva Tobacco

Tatuaje Noella, Reserva J21, Cojonu 2006 - Oliva Tobacco

Cabaiguan Belicosos Finos, Robustos Extra - Oliva Tobacco

601 - Oliva Tobacco

San Cristobal - Oliva Tobacco

Funny how that works, isn't it???
No doubt, but plenty use Oliva tobacco and have little success. Pepin is still my vote.

Honestly though, Sam Leccia should be on the list if it truly is "influential" and not just important/superstar. His Nub success has led to pretty much everyone bringing out a short/fat cigar. For better or worse.

Yes you did say snooty, not snotty....old timer's diease will do it to you every time. And yes, I did vote for Don Pepin, with a plug for Henke Kelner too.

But I truely believe it's hard to overlook Oliva's contribution as it relates to not only their cigars but the tobacco they grow and produce that so many other manufacturers use in there cigars.
This confuses me. Oliva Tobacco and Oliva Cigar are two separate companies. OTC was founded by Angel Oliva in like 1934, Oliva Cigar has been in its current form for fifteen years led by Gilberto Oliva and more notably José Oliva. I know that OTC has made some cigars, but none have been wild successes to my knowledge.

Last edited:

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
OK...I did vote Other for Padron because I feel he is like the Godfather of cigars but I would say the DPG is on his doorstep. Both Pete and Litto I feel are the Generation Now guys which I feel makes them a strong contender for the number one spot with a few more years under there belts. Both Padron and Don have been in the buisness for ever and well deserve to hold a title of the most "Influential".