What's new

Who is the most influential name in Cigars today?

Most Influential / Intriguing name in the Cigar Industry today.

• Don Jose Pepin Garcia

Votes: 96 60.0%
  • Ernesto Perez-Carrillo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pete Johnson

Votes: 24 15.0%
  • Carlos Fuente

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Kiki Berber

• Henke Kelner

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Jonathan Drew

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Avo Uvezian

• Litto Gomez

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 16 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are only three names in the cigar industry...Padron, Garcia, Johnson. The rest is all "shelf filler"...
Well, we certainly have established the Popularity contest, now, haven't we?

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Well, we certainly have established the Popularity contest, now, haven't we?
I guess popularity is a big part of influential. Popularity helps define trends so is a great part of influence. I know you are stuck on the Oliva thing and I think the main reason no one is agreeing with you is you never did give a name. Company name or family name that is in the back ground is not going to be most peoples choice. I had never thought of Sam Leccia but have to agree that the Nub size has been a great influence on the cigar market in General. Still not one that works for me. I do think that Pepin is a great influence as he is in my mind the main person responsible for the resurgence of the Lancero size in the US market. I go back to the Carlito again as he is still the main person behind the LE cigar marketing. They may not have truly been labeled as LE but the limited production Fuente products will still be a great seller for most retailers and has influenced how others market their cigars.

Back to the main point just because Oliva is one of the larger growers of FINE tobacco leaf they have no influence over the blending, construction, or marketing of cigars so in my view very little influence over the consumer which is what what most of us are. If we want to go for an obscure names that most people will not recognize for their influence but has Incredible influence over what people are smoking then it is Buenaventura Jiménez Sánchez-Cañet and Oscar Basulto Torres. If you have to google the names give up on the Oliva stuff and let people post their opinions.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Influence is built on trust, reputation and consistency. Popularity is built on an X factor; it is, by nature, inherently perilous. Popularity requires no loyalty, no trust, and the audience can easily abandon you to go on to the next fascinating new thing.
As I pointed out on page 2, this is a Popularity poll. The numbers say it all.

Here's a challenge for you, gibble, without using Google, who made this comment, and who was he referring to?

"He is really the master. There is no better man on this island for making cigars. No one knows more about tobacco and no one makes them any better."

Last edited:

thegoldenmackid

Why Can't I be a Lancero?
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I don't know about you, but Henke Kelner's name is by far the most intriguing in my opinion. Watching people butcher that is fun. I suppose Avo would be a close second as well. Which goes back to the point, this is a popularity contest, not influence.

The reality is that Pete Johnson is influential on the boards, but as a B&M - General, Altadis, Fuente, Oliva and Rocky are still going to be the core. Sure, some don't carry the giants, but for the vast majority - it's an unfortunate part of being a cigar shop.

Why Rocky Patel's name isn't on this list is also concerning. Quite frankly he's going to win every competition with Avo outside of musical talent and good cigars.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I don't know about you, but Henke Kelner's name is by far the most intriguing in my opinion. Watching people butcher that is fun. I suppose Avo would be a close second as well. Which goes back to the point, this is a popularity contest, not influence.

The reality is that Pete Johnson is influential on the boards, but as a B&M - General, Altadis, Fuente, Oliva and Rocky are still going to be the core. Sure, some don't carry the giants, but for the vast majority - it's an unfortunate part of being a cigar shop.

Why Rocky Patel's name isn't on this list is also concerning. Quite frankly he's going to win every competition with Avo outside of musical talent and good cigars.
Well than, I like music and smoke cigars so what else is there....is Rocky making his own beer and liquor now?

(and I most definately agree with your statement about Henke Kelner, but I'm also a big fan of his blending of cigars!)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted DPG. i feel that everything that DPG attaches his name to is gold. even if it isnt my taste, i am hard pressed to find someone who is not a fan of his blends.

...though i am personally more fond of kelner and Lito Gomez.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
The last 5 years it's a no-brainer, the Dog Pound Gangster the one and only Pepin!!!

so what if he uses Oliva leaf.... he's the one creating the blends and I'm sure most of the leaf is his own farm. Correct me if Im wrong. :tiphat:
I agree - Does a great Chef have to grow his own veggies, raise his own livestock and hunt his own game? I don't think so. The great Chef does respect the farmer and wants to use the best ingredients. That is what Don Pepin does, whether he grow it or someone else does.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think General and Altadis loose clout every year and companies like Oliva, Illusione, Tatuajue, Viaje, DPG, Alec Bradley are picking up status that they once had. I think Ashton/Fuente and Padron are holding ground and maybe even picking up ground also.
I know my store sells more of Dions products than Altadis which is weird but the younger generation of cigar smoker seem to prefer indie cigars to Huge conglomorates that make generic products under cuban names and charge premium prices.

BTW I can't carry Tats because they do business with a neighboring shop who carry no more than 2 boxes of their product at a time but they had a relationship that they established prior to my store existing. I can respect that and thats says a lot about Pete as a man but it is a huge bummer for my customers who embrace Dion, and Viaje with open arms but have to drive way out of the way to get Tats. I myself buy all my Tats from a B&M 45 minutes away because they have everything. And so do my customers. We often pool together and buy boxes and such. My point is if Pete/Pepin were not so influential. People wouldn't go to great lengths to buy their products. Believe me I would boycott Petes stuff if it wasn't awesome. I look like a real idiot smoking a Cabiguan Guapo that I have buy from someone else when have hundreds of cigars brands on my shelves. But it happens.

However, I voted for fuente because they produce and sell so much more quantity and their limited stuff can can create a as big a frenzy as petes but with a much larger foot print. They also have their hands in Cuesta Rey, Diamond Crown, Ashton, Savenelli cigars, cigars for Prometheus and I am sure I am leaving out some.

Sorry I am so long winded today. I am trying to look busy to avoid listening to my wife nag me.

Last edited:

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I think General and Altadis loose clout every year and companies like Oliva, Illusione, Tatuajue, Viaje, DPG, Alec Bradley are picking up status that they once had. I think Ashton/Fuente and Padron are holding ground and maybe even picking up ground also.
I will say this about General and Altadis, they both put some new things on the market this year to advance their brands beyond the same old they normally do. Stuff like the H. Upmann Sun Grown, the A. Turrent triple maduro, the Warlock, HdM Reposado en Cedros etc. Not to say they are in the ballpark of Pete, Dion, Booth, Leccia etc., but they have recognized that market and are trying new things. La Gloria started the double wrap this year which, imo, is a good cigar and something different for sure. I applaud them trying, that's for sure.

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I will say this about General and Altadis, they both put some new things on the market this year to advance their brands beyond the same old they normally do. Stuff like the H. Upmann Sun Grown, the A. Turrent triple maduro, the Warlock, HdM Reposado en Cedros etc.
Yeah... but how much of that new stuff is going to be good. So far none of it for me.

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
"La Gloria started the double wrap this year which, imo, is a good cigar and something different for sure."

I personally don't belive they are as good as the Joya de Nicaragua Cabinetta Serie Cigars, and JDN came out with the idea first.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Its hard to say its not Pepin right now, I think Pepin is going to be on top for a long time. But I think companies like Alec Bradley and Drew Estate are going to be very interesting to watch over the next few years.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah... but how much of that new stuff is going to be good. So far none of it for me.
I really like the new H. Upmann Sun Grown, the HdM Reposado en Cedros, and A Turrent Triple Play. All were good to great cigars. And the JdN Cabineta and LGC double wrap are a lot different. The LGC is two different cigars blended together to make one, while the JDN is just a darker wrapper at the top for a different lip taste. Tough to compare the two IMHO.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I had to say Pepin not for the fact that his making good cigars but he has had a huge impact for the resurgence of cigars since the early 90's boom....let's just hope that we don't get people who want to make a quick buck and release crap which also happened in the early 90's.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The big "E" man. Eric. Because of him and David, we all have a place to call home and talk about cigars.

thegoldenmackid

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I really like the new H. Upmann Sun Grown, the HdM Reposado en Cedros, and A Turrent Triple Play. All were good to great cigars. And the JdN Cabineta and LGC double wrap are a lot different. The LGC is two different cigars blended together to make one, while the JDN is just a darker wrapper at the top for a different lip taste. Tough to compare the two IMHO.
I wasn't a huge fan of the H. Upmann, the La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Obelisco was decent, not for the price though. Joyo de Nicaragua is DE, not part of Altadis or General.

It's obviously all subjective, but even my Altadis rep laughed when telling me at IPCPR about Warlock.

They have their core brands and their core smokers, it allows them to be the industry giants and despite the obvious rise in the other guys, they are getting larger and larger, particularly if the CAO acquisition is a sign of what's to come.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
For me I'd have to say Eduardo Fernandez of Casa Fernandez. Most of my favorite cigars use Aganorsa leaf tobacco from his farm. Pepin Garcia, Tatuaje, Illusione, 601, Padilla, Ashton San Cristobal, Drew Estates. I also really like the Mombacho and I'm looking forward to the Casa Fernandez Aganorsa Leaf cigar. But what do I know.