What's new

Who is your favorite guitarist?

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Gilmour is high on my list too.

I used to play a bit and personally, I get bored with guys who have songs that are nothing but guitar solos (Yngwie, Steve Via, etc...), there is no denying that they are great guitar players, but it just doesn't do it for me to watch a guy do scrapes, finger taps and pentatonic scales over and over again.
I'm with you man!
They can be the most technical guitar player in the world, but it doesn't hit that sweet spot if there's no soul and passion in their playing.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
A lot of good one already listed, so I'll add some of my other favorites.

Jimmy Dawkins
Buddy Guy
Dickey Betts
Steve Cropper
Joe Bonamassa
Jack White
Wes Montgomery
Django Reinhardt

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Pretty funny how not one person has said Slash lol. Im surprised theres no love for Randy Rhoads though.
Slash just seemed to become more and more formula based with time. He seemed to work himself past a signature sound and into a box.

That being said, I still listen to Appetite For Destruction a dozen or so times a year.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Tom Morello.

There's a lot of really good shredders, several have already been mentioned, but Morello is not only a shredder but an innovator. Is he the best to ever play a guitar... Probably not. Is he my favorite.... Absolutely!
This. And he may be the best, but his style is unorthodox so it can't be compared apples to apples.

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Chuck Schuldiner .
I celebrate the man's entire catalog .

Trey Azagthoth .
Met him Backstage in Chicago @ '01
He absolutely loved us fans and had this most profoundly positive aura . - despite the candles and objects in the hall

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Tommy Emmanuel. Dude is insane. He plays the entire guitar. Best drum solo I've ever heard, he played it on the guitar, while simultaneously playing unbelievable fingerstyle.

Rating - 94.7%
20   1   0
Nobody has mentioned Clapton either, which I think is in the conversation.
Buddy Guy was mentioned and him Clapton and John Mayer are next on my list. Mayer has gotten insane in recent years. He and Clapton holed up for a month at Clapton's place recording sometime back but don't plan to release any of it. Such a loss

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Mike Bloomfield and Masayoshi Takanaka (greatest guitar player you have never heard of)
Solo@4:50 embedded doesn't enable "start at".

Also a huge fan of BB king, Freddie King, Albert King, bluesy clapton, Howling Wolf, Lead Belly, Lightnin Hopkins, Randy Rhoads, Stevie... I am sure I am forgetting a few.

Last edited: