What's new

Who's cooking a turkey?

Rating - 100%
99   0   1
Tofurkey in my house this year. The best part is my family doesn't know that we are doing Vegan Thanksgiving this year. The look on their faces is going to be priceless.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Having the family at our house this year, so I will be cooking the turkey. Not sure which traditional family recipe I will use, nothing fancy just some seasoning, butter and a trip in the oven for our feast.

Lorax429

Dagum
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am trying something different this year. I am going to brine turkey parts. Thighs drum sticks and breasts (bone in of course). This way I can make sure I have enough of everyone's favorite parts. No arguments from the kids over who get drumsticks is the obvious benefit. Then i am going to braise them in the oven. Found a nice braising liquid in an issue of Cooks Illustrated. I have a feeling it will prove much easier than doing a whole bird with less risk of a dry bird.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'm smoking two birds this year. a 14 1/2lb and a 15lb turkey...yep, the inlaws are invading.

I'll smoke them w/ Apple and Pecan wood as I did last year...mmmm good.

One suggestion to those frying or smoking a bird. If it mentions that it has solution added, do not brine it unless you add no salt to your brine as the added solution already has salt. You'll end up with a super salty bird if you add salt on top of it.

Both of the birds I got have Solution added, so I won't be brining. Same as last year and last year was the best I've done, ever.

Target is 165 deg internal temp (check breast and thigh) smoked at 235-250 for 35min/lb. So I have a 9-10 hr smoke on my hands. Lots of cigars on hand so all is good.

TheDudeAbides

I got an awesome sound...
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Roasting a 19 lb. bird, smoking a ham on the Traeger.
I've tried frying, smoking, and just about every other method of cooking a turkey, besides the flavorwave oven, hell I've done a beercan turkey. Its just hard to beat a properly roasted bird.
-Dude

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brining starts Tuesday, then its getting cooked over lump charcoal on my Bubba keg.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 22# bird thawing in the fridge. Will be roasted on Thanksgiving filled with a giblets/savory dressing and served with all the trimmings. Homemade cranberry relish, a gallon or more of gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and green bean casserole. Ending up with enough leftovers to last through the weekend.

Not planning to eat between now and then to properly prepare.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
My fried turkey will be seasoned with lemon, rosemary, ginger and garlic. It's a great combo and not super strong. I stuff it with lemon slices the night before and rub the ginger, garlic, and rosemary paste on the day before. In the morning I take it out so I can warm up and dry off a bit. I pull the lemon slices out of the bird and drop it in the fryer. Smoke a cigar and then carve it up.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I'm frying one, that count?
Yup...this will be my third year deep frying turkey. If you never had it that way, you have too!! Fantastic!!
This is what I use and it does everything else as well but you can fry a bird up to 14lbs.
Masterbuilt 20010708 22-Quart Electric Turkey Fryer

I'm a safty geek and I can tell you without worry I've used this in our kitchen with no issues what so ever.