What's new

why Palio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Couple things points and observations here. I have both, a Xikar xi2 bloodred (German made) and a newer Palio black of course.

Xikar - I had the Xikar for almost 2 years now. Better color and style selections. They look cool and feel good in my hand. They cut torpedo's and any pointed style cigars easier than a Palio IMO. One odd thing, even though Xikar is a double blade, often it seems to make a scoop cut, almost crater like, even thought there is no play in the metal blades. Sometimes I start straight and go swiftly through until all the way through, and makes a crooked cut. Don't know why, just does. Does not cause any issues with the cigar thank goodness.

Palio - The Palio was recently gifted by a new BOTL member. Only comes in black till they release the new ones. I really like this product too. Makes a cleaner cut more often than the Xikar. Makes cutting extremely easy. I like to place the Palio on a hard flat surface. Then simply take the cigar and put into the Palio till the cigar is resting on the surface. A quick effortless squeeze of the Palio and BAM! Almost all the time takes the head clean off and perfect amount off the shoulder of the cigar, leaving the wrapper intact.

Cost are similar for basic Xikar, but go higher for the all metal and much, much higher for the pretty Havana ones. I think the new Palio's are going to be more money, but no price is listed that I know of. Both companies offer 100% replacement or repair at no charge. Xikar offers lifetime free blade sharpening, not sure if Palio does or needs it based on Marks longtime usage. Both are excellent cutters and I give them both an A for doing their job. Best of all, both can be bought from Mark.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Besides the Xikar, I also like the Colt 357 :bangbang: , and occasionally the Highland broadsword. :fencing:

The Colt makes kind of a ragged V cut, and imparts a subtle nuance of gunpowder to the smoke.

The Broadsword makes a clean cut, but tends to make the cigar much shorter. I dunno why. :dunno:

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Couple things points and observations here. I have both, a Xikar xi2 bloodred (German made) and a newer Palio black of course.

Xikar - I had the Xikar for almost 2 years now. Better color and style selections. They look cool and feel good in my hand. They cut torpedo's and any pointed style cigars easier than a Palio IMO. One odd thing, even though Xikar is a double blade, often it seems to make a scoop cut, almost crater like, even thought there is no play in the metal blades. Sometimes I start straight and go swiftly through until all the way through, and makes a crooked cut. Don't know why, just does. Does not cause any issues with the cigar thank goodness.

Palio - The Palio was recently gifted by a new BOTL member. Only comes in black till they release the new ones. I really like this product too. Makes a cleaner cut more often than the Xikar. Makes cutting extremely easy. I like to place the Palio on a hard flat surface. Then simply take the cigar and put into the Palio till the cigar is resting on the surface. A quick effortless squeeze of the Palio and BAM! Almost all the time takes the head clean off and perfect amount off the shoulder of the cigar, leaving the wrapper intact.

Cost are similar for basic Xikar, but go higher for the all metal and much, much higher for the pretty Havana ones. I think the new Palio's are going to be more money, but no price is listed that I know of. Both companies offer 100% replacement or repair at no charge. Xikar offers lifetime free blade sharpening, not sure if Palio does or needs it based on Marks longtime usage. Both are excellent cutters and I give them both an A for doing their job. Best of all, both can be bought from Mark.
Great compro!

In regards to the Palio blade sharpening service, they don't offer one. Instead, if you are ever dissatisfied with the cut, you can simlpy exchange it for another at any authorized Palio vendor. :thumbsup:

~Mark

Frank N

CFL
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Xikar VS. Palio
I've been tossing the two of these around in my head for a while. I think I'm just going to have to order both and hide the receipt from my wife. lol

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I do have to say I like the looks of that new Carbon fiber Palio, I wonder if that is real, or imitation fiber, Waiting to see price on it too.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I do have to say I like the looks of that new Carbon fiber Palio, I wonder if that is real, or imitation fiber, Waiting to see price on it too.
It is a finish, not actual carbon fiber. I doubt the prices will be that much more than the regular one. However, whatever the cost I feel they will certainly be worth it.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
It is a finish of Carbon Fiber as well as Burlwood.

Exactly the same as the Burlwood and Carbon fiber finishes you would find in a luxury automobile. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps
~Mark

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Correct

The cutter is Composed out of a state-of-the art engineered polymer. The new cutters will look like burlwood or carbon fiber but still be made out of that polymer so they re-tain their strength.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Damn, Does anyone know if you can still get your hands on one of those Carbon Fiber, Pokers from Petroglyph Design, I'd read somewhere in here that he was out of buisness? I love carbon fiber anything!

summy625

SOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:stickbeat :stickbeat
Summy, Your never #2 to a cigar, Just say the word and I'm sent the entire collection to the brothers here on BOTL.
You better watch what you say mister. after i JUST found out how much you spent!!! I cant believe you!!! OMG!! You are SOOOO cut off!! I m just playing, kinda. you know that i would Never make you get rid of the cigars!! I love you and your BAD HABITSS!!!! :stickbeat

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Damn, Does anyone know if you can still get your hands on one of those Carbon Fiber, Pokers from Petroglyph Design, I'd read somewhere in here that he was out of buisness? I love carbon fiber anything!
There was a thread about this a little while ago. His business is no longer in business unfortunately.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
:stickbeat :stickbeat

You better watch what you say mister. after i JUST found out how much you spent!!! I cant believe you!!! OMG!! You are SOOOO cut off!! I m just playing, kinda. you know that i would Never make you get rid of the cigars!! I love you and your BAD HABITSS!!!! :stickbeat
Summy, are you not aware of the "Cigar Buying Formula"???

Code:
$ spent on cigars x ___% = money to spend randomly on wife
The blank percentage is determined by both the generosity of the husband and the demands of the wife. In most cases, 20% will suffice.

In my case, it's about 120% :rolling:

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yeah, I read that, I thought maybe someone had heard some thing new.
It looked like an awesome product.

summy625

SOTL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summy, are you not aware of the "Cigar Buying Formula"???

Code:
$ spent on cigars x ___% = money to spend randomly on wife
The blank percentage is determined by both the generosity of the husband and the demands of the wife. In most cases, 20% will suffice.

In my case, it's about 120% :rolling:
okay i get it haa haa. id b happy with 5%!!

Status
Not open for further replies.