What's new

Wine Cooler 101

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Here's mine, a vino temp 16.
I only have 2 of the cedar trays with an average of ~20-30 sticks per tray. As you can see I have a little left over room behind the trays. Also plenty for additional boxes down low. Actually, now that I'm looking at it, I've got a lot of empty space to fill!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Evan and Mr. Tucson, those look Awesome! The thing is that my wineador is 18 bottles, but it's thin and I'm not sure if those trays will fit.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You'll have to take some measurements of the inside, but from the specs listed on lowes.com, it looks like the trays will fit if you turn them how Tucson has them.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I definitely need some trays soon. Probably just the ones from cheaphumidors.com or equivalent. I'm going to need to stack cigars though, no way 20 per tray will be enough.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
So... weird problems recently with my Edgestar.

My Heartfelt beads need a lot of hydrating lately. Like once a week at least. They will turn to almost entirely white after a couple of days. Can that just be from me opening it to grab a stick when my house is insanely dry, circulating that air into the humi?

Also, found some condensation on a couple of boxes today... only in one section. (Which is even odder since my RH had dropped to ~55% overnight). Would adding a fan help prevent further condensation, or just some fluke thing from the RH shifting so suddenly?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I shyed away from spending any extra money on trays, and went with the simple box approach. I think I'll be upgrading here soon, but for those of us on budgets you can usually get cheap old boxes from your local tobacco shop....that is to say unless you are like me and hoard everything :tiphat:

wineadore.jpg

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Great write-up! I've been toying with the idea for my future larger capacity setup but appreciate the break down of everything it takes to get a system fully online
Loving this site!!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I am trying to set up my wine cooler into a cigar humidor. I have a Avanti 18DZ. I have ordered 4 drawers for it. What would be the best way to keep humid? Packs or a humidifier?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I am trying to set up my wine cooler into a cigar humidor. I have a Avanti 18DZ. I have ordered 4 drawers for it. What would be the best way to keep humid? Packs or a humidifier?
It is all personal preference to what someone uses. A lot of people use Heartfelt beads, some go Kitty Litter and other may go with a bunch of Boveda humi packs.

I have heartfelt beads in both my desk tops, and KL in my cooler for now (it was a cheaper route at the time of making my coolidor). Even if you do not go with the HF beads visit their site (Heartfelt) and use their calculator to figure out how much you would need in beads or KL.

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
It is all personal preference to what someone uses. A lot of people use Heartfelt beads, some go Kitty Litter and other may go with a bunch of Boveda humi packs.

I have heartfelt beads in both my desk tops, and KL in my cooler for now (it was a cheaper route at the time of making my coolidor). Even if you do not go with the HF beads visit their site (Heartfelt) and use their calculator to figure out how much you would need in beads or KL.
Kitty Litter? Lol. I never would've guessed that in a million years

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I shyed away from spending any extra money on trays, and went with the simple box approach. I think I'll be upgrading here soon, but for those of us on budgets you can usually get cheap old boxes from your local tobacco shop....that is to say unless you are like me and hoard everything :tiphat:

View attachment 32286
Does this cooler have fans already built in?

Joel
CRA Member# 99977267

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
great thread as I am probably gonna have to build one myself here soon.

my question is about the ETC setup. so if your in a hot environment wouldnt it be detrimental for the ETC to turn your wine fridge on and off a bunch of times constantly to bring the temp back down. wouldnt that mean that the temp of your cigars would be constantly rising to the max threshold of the etc and then being cooled back down and so forth over and over...?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Not just normal KL, but silica kitty litter, unscented of course. This is made of the of the same thing the beads are and cost way less. A 4lb bag of mimi litter is $4.xx at wally world.
So if I wanted to use kitty litter I should look for one made out of silica? Are the crysyals different from that?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not just normal KL, but silica kitty litter, unscented of course. This is made of the of the same thing the beads are and cost way less. A 4lb bag of mimi litter is $4.xx at wally world.
So if I wanted to use kitty litter I should look for one made out of silica? Are the crysyals different from that?
The crystals are the KL, one and the same.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I did a ton of research on humidity beads and although to each his own, I'm just going to throw out there a name of one to check out. I researched for hours and this is what I picked up. I have no interest in this company and I hope I'm not crossing the line sharing this info. http://www.shilalasbeads.com/

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0

Chris, I'll send you some.