What's new

Wine Cooler 101

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Mine is around 55% and I can't get it up any higher, I decided to order a cigar oasis system. Famous has them on sale right now for$94 right now. I'm hoping that fixes my problem, if not then I'm buying a new seal for the door. That's the only other thing I can think of that is wrong.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have been reading about these wine cooler conversion and had a few questions I have a haier which can be set to red or white temperature red being around 62 and humid around the same wanted to start using it to place my cigars any recommendation on what I should do is that I good temp also can I place a regular humidor , small one inside there

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi Guys - I am hoping someone can help with a wineador issue. As soon as the fridge turns on, my humidity drops dramatically. Even with beads and an oasis running full speed, the humidity won't get over 60% when the fridge is on. When its unplugged, it holds humidity amazing. Any suggestions?

Its my first project and am trying to get this sorted out.
Any tips would be great.
Braydon
isn't that just the air moving over the hygro, not letting the RH settle in to be tested? i get that too when my fans kick on, but then a minute after they are off the rh resets to normal

Has anybody else experienced a random drop in RH in their wineador?

Shortly after moving in, my wineador dropped in humidity severely... like low to mid 30s. I've been trying for a couple of months to bring back up to a stable point and am getting nowhere. I can soak my HF beads and find them dry within a day or two.

I was thinking a leak occurred during the move, but I have checked, double checked, and triple checked. I can't find anything physical to suggest a leak.

Am I missing something really obvious??
check the seal, are there boxes in there, is it empty/full of cigars? take the sticks out and put in a tupperware, then try reseasoning by putting spnge+DW in there? also recalibrate your hygro while you're at it

I have been reading about these wine cooler conversion and had a few questions I have a haier which can be set to red or white temperature red being around 62 and humid around the same wanted to start using it to place my cigars any recommendation on what I should do is that I good temp also can I place a regular humidor , small one inside there
^um, what? i'll try and interpret what english I can out of this.

you have a haier wine cooler that keeps the temperature at 62* (for red wine setting, white would be colder), and 62%- to my experience a wine cooler doesnt regulate RH, the media (beads or kitty litter) will

62* is ok, usually they go a little warmer like 66/67 degreed

and yes you can put your humidor into the wine cooler. i did that before getting my trays

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thank you
Hi Guys - I am hoping someone can help with a wineador issue. As soon as the fridge turns on, my humidity drops dramatically. Even with beads and an oasis running full speed, the humidity won't get over 60% when the fridge is on. When its unplugged, it holds humidity amazing. Any suggestions?

Its my first project and am trying to get this sorted out.
Any tips would be great.
Braydon
isn't that just the air moving over the hygro, not letting the RH settle in to be tested? i get that too when my fans kick on, but then a minute after they are off the rh resets to normal

Has anybody else experienced a random drop in RH in their wineador?

Shortly after moving in, my wineador dropped in humidity severely... like low to mid 30s. I've been trying for a couple of months to bring back up to a stable point and am getting nowhere. I can soak my HF beads and find them dry within a day or two.

I was thinking a leak occurred during the move, but I have checked, double checked, and triple checked. I can't find anything physical to suggest a leak.

Am I missing something really obvious??
check the seal, are there boxes in there, is it empty/full of cigars? take the sticks out and put in a tupperware, then try reseasoning by putting spnge+DW in there? also recalibrate your hygro while you're at it

^um, what? i'll try and interpret what english I can out of this.

you have a haier wine cooler that keeps the temperature at 62* (for red wine setting, white would be colder), and 62%- to my experience a wine cooler doesnt regulate RH, the media (beads or kitty litter) will

62* is ok, usually they go a little warmer like 66/67 degreed

and yes you can put your humidor into the wine cooler. i did that before getting my trays
thanks for the translation lol

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
pulled the trigger, bought a NewAir 281 off amazon with some credit card points I had accumulated. Arrives Tuesday.

1. I'll be grabbing some activated charcol from the pet shop to eliminate the plastic smell. (does the fridge need to run/or do I just leave it off during this part?)
2. I have my uncle who is a carpenter by trade building my custom shelves. Really excited to see the results.(and share them with you all)
3. Does anyone know where I can get a "Republica de Cuba" box seal sticker I can put over the door opening?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
pulled the trigger, bought a NewAir 281 off amazon with some credit card points I had accumulated. Arrives Tuesday.

1. I'll be grabbing some activated charcol from the pet shop to eliminate the plastic smell. (does the fridge need to run/or do I just leave it off during this part?)
2. I have my uncle who is a carpenter by trade building my custom shelves. Really excited to see the results.(and share them with you all)
3. Does anyone know where I can get a "Republica de Cuba" box seal sticker I can put over the door opening?
Leave the fridge run with the carbon in it. In addition to the plastic smell, there's a certain odor to new electronics (a heavenly scent to my fellow tech geeks)
It may or may not be perceivable to you, but just in case go kill two birds with one stone. Besides, those fans move air around and will help the carbon do it's job more effectively.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

The NewAir arrived yesterday and I put 2 bags of carbon in there and am just letting it run.

I have years of experience with fish tanks and they always to tell you to run the carbon filters through water to get rid of dust and 'activate' them. Do run these bags under water too?

I'm really excited about this process!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
may as well post this in here instead of starting a new thread with my set up and experiences. I picked up a scratch and dent New Air 181 off A&W for $125 (had literally no defects i could find), ordered trays from forrest that arrived about 12 weeks after ordering and seasoned them in a large plastic container for a few days with a dampened sponge (probably should have done longer). Prior to getting the trays in I had my sticks in my desktop humidor with the lid cracked open in the wine cooler. After seasoning, I put a tray or two as a time and then adjusted the RH (had to put a dampened sponge in there to help the trays absorb some more, about 2 more days).

current set up

I store it in the basement for now, it's about 73* so doesn't even have to run all that often. I picked up a laptop fan, usb extension cord, and a digital timer so the fan runs every few hours for 15 minutes. I use KL in a chinese food tupperware on the bottom and then another small pouch up top, and the RH holds perfectly at 65/66% with door closed and rebounds quickly after door opens.

the collection

and then a bottom drawer of chit cigars for friends who dont smoke lol plus have a couple boxes in a decent sized tupperdor with KL, going to keep those in there for another 6 months before movin to wineador

well i guess that's it, hope some info in here helped someone

Last edited:

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I stole my girls 12 bottle cooler last month to use until my NewAir comes in next week, with this heat wave we've had lately, I didn't want to chance my sticks getting too hot. Tossed some bovedas in it, and used the earplug since I knew she would want it back ASAP and the last thing I wanted was to have to explain why the hole was sealed up hahaha

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Will the fan in my new air 281 move enough air for circulating the humidity or do I need to install some secondary fans?
since the fan will only kick on when the temp needs some adjusting, i'd say get a small laptop/comp fan and out it on the bottom. can get a usb adapter or whatever plugs, and hook it to a timer so it runs at set intervals. i have mine thats going on 7x a day for 10-15 min

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am buying a new wine cooler tomorrow cause I need more room for boxes

My question is its not thermoelectric so can I not plug it in and run computer fans and call it a day?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I am buying a new wine cooler tomorrow cause I need more room for boxes

My question is its not thermoelectric so can I not plug it in and run computer fans and call it a day?
There are also ways to make a compressor wine cooler work plugged in also. In fact, many people would take a compressor cooler over a thermoelectric.... me being one of them.