What's new

Wine Cooler 101

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I am pretty sure I will have a total of 6 doubles, so basically it will be maxed w/ trays
Very nice... you must have a lot of singles! Do you keep boxes in coolers? Or do you have the majority of singles?

Also, in your research, do you recommend people plug the drain hole? I know you put wiring through yours and plugged it up, but for people that didn't do that, do you recommend plugging it? If so, how do you account for condensation build up? I bet condensation is more of an issue during the summer so maybe you don't have an answer for this, but I would really like some comments as I got some condensation build up then I just unplugged the unit during the winter. But when it gets warm again, I will need to figure it out.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Well, most of my stuff is singles, the few boxes I did have I unpacked and put into the trays. Just easier for me to open a drawer and be able to see everything instead up pulling out piles of boxes etc. In the future, if space allows (right now it does not) I would like to get a second one that matches for box storage (sealed boxes, stuff I am aging etc.)

As for the drain plug you are right, I imagine the summer will be the true test but from what I have found along my travels lol, using an ETC allows the unit to turn on and off as needed, most people say that in 80d or so the unit will cycle on for about 3min an hr depending what your low set point is (if kept within 3-4 degrees of your high it should be about 3 min). This amount of time is not long enough for condensation IMO, it might be though, I will keep this updated as we go through the summer cycle. The other think is the shilala beads, these things have such a quick absorbancy rate that if there was condensation, I think it would be soaked up very quickly. My last line of defense will be added if needed, if condensation is a problem I was thinking about routing the water into a small container that will have beads in it, we will see how it is in the summer before going that far.

Another addition I will be adding this week is a fan system. 3-4 30mm fans, some aiming up some down, on the rear wall, hooked up to a timing system. This will help regulate humidity top to bottom and would also help with condensation problems.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I was thinking of setting up 2 fans on the bottom (about a half inch from the floor) facing up, and 1 fan up top, facing down, and have them run about a minute every half hour or so... something like that to move the more humid air on the botom up, and the stale air on top around a bit. I'm not sure where I am putting my drawers yet, but most likely up top, with the 1 cedar shelf on the lowest spot.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Thanks for the answers, pretty much what I've seen too just trying to figure out what I will do.

My only concern about letting the beads soak up the condensation is that the water dripping down is not distilled which is what should be used with beads. I don't know if that would affect the quality of the beads, but it is a concern of mine.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Thanks for the answers, pretty much what I've seen too just trying to figure out what I will do.

My only concern about letting the beads soak up the condensation is that the water dripping down is not distilled which is what should be used with beads. I don't know if that would affect the quality of the beads, but it is a concern of mine.
actually... it will kinda be distilled, as the only humidity inside should be coming from a distilled source...

you charge the beads with distilled water, they let humidity out, it condenses...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my only issue i have been having is that in the top of my edgestar the humidity has jumped to around 74, i took half a pound of the beads from the bottom and put them in the top, and that brought it down to like 70 to 72, but then the bottom dropped to like 63%. Mine seems to run constantly looking to get one of those ETC contollers and do that. Overall i have 2lbs of heartfelt beads, do i need more, just cant seem to get it to hold rock solid...

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
my only issue i have been having is that in the top of my edgestar the humidity has jumped to around 74, i took half a pound of the beads from the bottom and put them in the top, and that brought it down to like 70 to 72, but then the bottom dropped to like 63%. Mine seems to run constantly looking to get one of those ETC contollers and do that. Overall i have 2lbs of heartfelt beads, do i need more, just cant seem to get it to hold rock solid...
For a 28 unit you should never need more then a 1lb. 2lbs is even better. Check your hygros with a boveda 75%pack and see what they read after 24hrs. The etc is a great/must idea as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just salt tested all my hygros a couple of days ago, cause i was wondering if they were off, they were all with in 1% of each other, and some where the same... I think the etc would help, the dam thing stays at around 60 degrees all the time, and i cant turn it any warmer...

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
An ETC will help you maintain a higher temperature. Maybe a good idea for you would be some fans blowing that humidity around. I just finished a custom fan unit, I will post the parts and pics later today.

As Ron says salt is for food!lol.
I agree with J here, there is no way to really perfect the salt test unless you are in a university lab or something lol. I did a salt test on 3 hygros, 2 came out low and one came out close (-1%). I put the one that was close into my humidor and it was dead on at 65%, I figured it was too good to be true. I re-tested the 3 with a 75% packet only to find out that it was actually +5%, so my 65% which I thought was actually 66%, was more like 60%.... :help: lol, get the packet for 3 or 4 bucks and know for sure, its worth it. Also use tupperware instead of a bag, seems like bags hide humidity pockets in the folds and what not. :dunno:

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
What if I put one of Ron's Avallo Accumonitors in my soon to arrive 28 bottle Edgestar, do you think it will solve the circulation and humidity problem??

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with J here, there is no way to really perfect the salt test unless you are in a university lab or something lol. I did a salt test on 3 hygros, 2 came out low and one came out close (-1%). I put the one that was close into my humidor and it was dead on at 65%, I figured it was too good to be true. I re-tested the 3 with a 75% packet only to find out that it was actually +5%, so my 65% which I thought was actually 66%, was more like 60%.... :help: lol, get the packet for 3 or 4 bucks and know for sure, its worth it. Also use tupperware instead of a bag, seems like bags hide humidity pockets in the folds and what not. :dunno:
Ok thanks i will grab some of these and test them soon...

Also i have 6 hygros through out, can i do all of them at once in a large tupperware or do i need to do them in seperate tupperwares?

Last edited:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
What if I put one of Ron's Avallo Accumonitors in my soon to arrive 28 bottle Edgestar, do you think it will solve the circulation and humidity problem??
might be overkill... why spend so much money when 2 pounds of beads and 20 bux worth of computer fans and a timer will do??

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Ok thanks i will grab some of these and test them soon...

Also i have 6 hygros through out, can i do all of them at once in a large tupperware or do i need to do them in seperate tupperwares?
I would stick with the bag and do 2-3 at a time...

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I just salt tested all my hygros a couple of days ago, cause i was wondering if they were off, they were all with in 1% of each other, and some where the same... I think the etc would help, the dam thing stays at around 60 degrees all the time, and i cant turn it any warmer...
I leave mine set at 64F, and it's always 63F. My sticks smoke great... I cannot justify the money for the ETC if the cigars smoke fine... might be just me...