What's new

Wine Cooler 101

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Ok thanks i will grab some of these and test them soon...

Also i have 6 hygros through out, can i do all of them at once in a large tupperware or do i need to do them in seperate tupperwares?
I test all mine at once. Throw them all into the smallest tupperware they will fit into and let sit 24 hrs or so. Mark all the hygros w/ the % difference. I then put them back in, in a different order for another 24 hrs. Mine came out the same both times.

I leave mine set at 64F, and it's always 63F. My sticks smoke great... I cannot justify the money for the ETC if the cigars smoke fine... might be just me...
Where it is cooler it is pointless to run them all year. The savings on your elec bill would have one paid for faster than you would think.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Where it is cooler it is pointless to run them all year. The savings on your elec bill would have one paid for faster than you would think.
Over looked that... places where it will stay below the needed temp without being on would benefit from it then... cause when it actually is needed to have it on, the ETC will do it for you.
Miami needs cooling all the time...

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Instead of drilling through the drain hole I used the pre-punched hole in the center just above the drain outlet (White circle below the screw).
Easy drill just foam insulation and the interior plastic shell. Hand pushed an awl through it first to mark the location in the plastic.
Then drilled from the inside out. Sensor and wire fits perfectly!

I used a 7mm cap nut/teflon tape/o-ring on the exterior threaded drain tube.

For the inside, I ordered a rubber stopper. I used the stopper instead of caulk in case I ever sell the unit, it can go as a humidor or wine cooler.

I had to order 25 stoppers (min order) so if anyone would like one (No charge) PM me with your Addy!

Rubber plug in drain hole.

Last edited:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
My avanti worked fine all week, I noticed yesterday that it was running way longer than usual and the ETC said that it was 76 degrees, (6 above the high set point).

I put my hand inside and the fan is blowing but no cold air! Anyone ever have this happen to them? Is there a fix or an I out of luck???!??

:disappoin

swat253

CRA Member #206760
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
Oh man!

Cut the power to it and let it sit a few minutes. Maybe the thermo will reset. Bypass your ETC and see if it's the sensor there. Otherwise, it sounds like you may have lost the peltier (thermoelectric cooler).

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Oh man!

Cut the power to it and let it sit a few minutes. Maybe the thermo will reset. Bypass your ETC and see if it's the sensor there. Otherwise, it sounds like you may have lost the peltier (thermoelectric cooler).
Sounds good, I will unplug for a bit and see what happens. The ETC is dead on compared with my hygros.

I've got a little 8bottle wine fridge my GF uses and same thing happened with the temp rising and fan running. I did what Swats suggesting and it went back to normal after.
Hope it works for me too lol

After years of experience with electronics I suggest you kick it.
That will be plan B :laugh:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
lift the cover over the top right hinge, there are 4 sets of connectors... check those... they are a pos!! I am going to cut all of mine out today and solder them so I can stop having issues.
As you move them around you will hear some clicking and ticking... don't panic.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I bought a bad one off craig's list and replaced the Peltier device. A few months later, it died after an earthquake. I decided to just get a new one. I make sure it is plugged into a surge protector as I think these Peltiers are a little sensitive.

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
Sounds like what happened to mine after 3 years, it may be time for a new one. I think you have the same older model I had.

this one, right?
[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=35811"]Wine Cooler 101 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

Last edited:

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
lift the cover over the top right hinge, there are 4 sets of connectors... check those... they are a pos!! I am going to cut all of mine out today and solder them so I can stop having issues.
As you move them around you will hear some clicking and ticking... don't panic.
You have the same unit as I do right 25?
the one from Target?

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
You have the same unit as I do right 25?
the one from Target?

If it is this one, this is the older one he got from JJ

[ame="http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=35811"]Wine Cooler 101 - BOTL Cigar Forums - Brothers of the Leaf[/ame]

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
That's right... I just remembered he had that thread.
In that case, I'm not really sure whats up...
Call avanti and see what they say, might be really simple.

BTW: have you tried plugging it up to the wall without the etc and see if it cools?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
so do I need to send you a new one?
No this free one already cost me too much money! :headroll:

That's right... I just remembered he had that thread.
In that case, I'm not really sure whats up...
Call avanti and see what they say, might be really simple.

BTW: have you tried plugging it up to the wall without the etc and see if it cools?
I doubt the ETC has anything to do with it, it just allows power. If the ETC was messed up the fan and light wouldnt even work.

I will give it a shot with unplugging and then messing with it after that. I might call Avanti for help after I dissect it lol

jjon90

CRA Member
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
No this free one already cost me too much money! :headroll:

I doubt the ETC has anything to do with it, it just allows power. If the ETC was messed up the fan and light wouldnt even work.

I will give it a shot with unplugging and then messing with it after that. I might call Avanti for help after I dissect it lol
Would the constant powering on and off off the unit with the ETC have something to do with it? Maybe a relay/switch blew?