What's new

Wine Cooler 101

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last reply was two months ago.

Just finished reading the entire thread, and I must really say THANK YOU to twenty5 (and others that have contributed as well). I've been on the fence about a winecooler for a few weeks. Saving up to get everything ready well before Summer. My room can get in excess of 92 degrees!

This is one of the most informative threads I have read in quite some time. Not only is there info on making a wine cooler humi, but it explains in detail how to fix failures.

Genius!

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
The next step is not exactly necessary but it is a good option to think about when planning your build. As you can see, the only real temperature settings on this are cold or colder, there is no definitive temperature settings (65F etc.). Because of this, I decided to get an external temperature controller. An ETC basically allows power to flow to something (wine cooler) when a certain set point is reached. After doing the research I would recommend them to anyone that has a wine cooler for 2 main reasons. First of all, that is what they were designed to do, they are exact. Set it to turn on at 70 degrees and it turns on at 70. Set it to turn off at 65 and it does just that. Easy. The other reason is most wine coolers run 24/7/365, imagine the power you are saving by it turning on just to cool it to a set point.

After looking into different manufactures and hearing different recommendations I decided to go with a Ranco unit ( http://www.rancoetc.com ) more specifically this one: prewired.

ETC (Gray wire - temp sensor, Green wires - power in / power out)

View attachment 6677
ETC Control box
How does the ETC hook up to the power of the Wine Cooler?

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Honestly, the ETC is a personal preference... I would say the minority of brothers use them. I never have and my wineadors are treating my babies just fine. I wouldencourage you to try without first and see how it goes. It's a costly add on that might not be for you. Heck... my wineador is unplugged in my basement right now since it's winter and the temp down there is already perfect.

Just my 2 cents.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
ETC plugs in to the wall sperately
OK I guess I am slow. I thought the ETC automatically turns off the power to the cooler when the cooler hits the desired temperature. I understand the sensor inside the cooler do determine temperature, but how does the ETC cut power to the unit if the cooler and the ETC are not connected electrically?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
OK I guess I am slow. I thought the ETC automatically turns off the power to the cooler when the cooler hits the desired temperature. I understand the sensor inside the cooler do determine temperature, but how does the ETC cut power to the unit if the cooler and the ETC are not connected electrically?
THe coller plugs in to the ETC. The ETC then cuts power to the cooler entirely. Preventing it from turning on.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
THe coller plugs in to the ETC. The ETC then cuts power to the cooler entirely. Preventing it from turning on.
OK LOL that is what I was saying in post #166.

Well that sounds easy, cost effective and healthy for the cigars. I like it. Now if I can only find me someone to make some trays in a timely manner I will be all set.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
You plug the Wine Cooler into the ETC and the ETC into the wall? There is no spicing or hard wiring required? It is just a standard electrical wall plug?
This is correct, if you buy the more expensive version (which I did). The cheaper model won't come with any of the wires attached, so you WOULD have to do the hard wiring. Spend the extra $20, and you just literally plug your cooler into the ETC, and the ETC into the wall. Set the temps on it, and route the sensor, done deal.

Cigar Cowboy

BoY...in Hell!!!
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
This is correct, if you buy the more expensive version (which I did). The cheaper model won't come with any of the wires attached, so you WOULD have to do the hard wiring. Spend the extra $20, and you just literally plug your cooler into the ETC, and the ETC into the wall. Set the temps on it, and route the sensor, done deal.
Plug in and play! That is what I want. Which one did you get?

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I am checking this model out, it's advertised as having a temperature controller on it. From your opinion would I need the ETC?

http://www.air-n-water.com/product/AW-280E.htm
If you decide to go with that model I would use it and see. ETCs are not necessary in every case, sometimes they are more of a hindrance than a help.

The problem with a lot of wine coolers, even though they have temperature controllers on them, is that they cannot be set to the temperatures we are looking to achieve. The controller on mine was a piece of garbage (no numbers just low to high settings....). I like to try and keep my cigars between 63-68 or so, the only way for me to achieve this was through an ATC.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Looks like it is adjustable up through 66 Degrees F. so you should be fine so long as that is where you want the temp. If you want it to go higher you'll need an ETC.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Cool, I stumbled on the edgstar thread and am waiting to see if compact appliance will come back in stock of the 107.00$ open box deal. If not I'll try the newair.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I totally dropped the ball on this a few times now... I was asked a few times for pics of the bead holder I made a few months back and said that I would post them, obviously that never happened.

Here are some crappy cell phone shots I took a minute ago, like I said previously if I was going to rebuild these I would have to rethink them..

First pic shows the top of the holder where the bead bag goes in, the solid parts are where velcro would go to attach the beads to the top of the cooler, the slit in the side is for some ventilation
IMG_20110415_174300.jpg
Second pic shows the bottom of the holder
IMG_20110415_174317.jpg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add a point. When you buy the pre-wired Ranco it has are two electrical plugs that come out of the bottom of the unit. One is female (plug the cooler into this one) and the other is male (plug this one into the wall). Easy Peezy!

I bought A POS AVANTI 28-bottle unit on Ebay scratch and dent and it arrived not working. They must have none it was bad they refunded my money right away and told me I don't even have to ship it back! I was debating whether or not to try and fix it since I got the POS for free and with this write up it looks like a reasonable fix.

Any how I bought 9 bottle unit to hold me over and it works fine for right now! But I am thinking about picking up a 21-bottle Vinodor for $80.00. Any thoughts!