What's new

Wine Cooler 101

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Update on the thermo fix, keeping perfectly cool in 100 degree weather! Nice to grab a fresh, perfectly maintained cigar to smoke in disgustingly hot and humid weather!

I installed my ETC today. I bought the one that you linked to-and they had amazing service! I was getting confirmation emails almost instantly, and it was at my doorstep in a matter of days. I love how the ETC will store the information in non-volatile memory. My only complaint about my Vinotemp, was that I had to manually reset the temps when power went out. It's an amazing piece of mind, to know I won't have to worry about that any more.

I used some industrial velcro and mounted the unit to the back of my Vino. It's out of sight, but still easily accessible if I ever need to. For extra security, I went ahead and took the top off, and locked the settings in. If this thing works at all, it's going to be a lifesaver.
Glad to see this worked out for ya.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
just found out that the fan on the heat sink not spinning. got that to spin and it is cooling great. down 7 degrees so far . we will see

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
The peltier replacement information (and source info) is worth it's digital weight in gold.

I just reread through this whole thing... it's really evolved into an awesome resource!

For those who might be pondering different fan set-ups and how to maybe incorporate beads with their circulation... I just want to weigh in and say, do not force your airflow directly over or through your beads. you'll end up with a bunch of white beads...and a mystery about where your humidity went.

I'll be dissecting my peltier this weekend... wish me luck!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Excellent tutorial! I want to do mine just haven't gotten around to it I have an old oster 12 bottle Fridge, thermo electric. I just have to decide what im going to do! Thanks! Looks Good Man!

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I swore I had some finished pics up, I will have to take some tonight. All this work and no pics to show off! LOL

Crappy pic of what she looks like on the inside:

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
twenty5 do you have a shelve on top of the top drawer to hold your beads?
No, no room for a shelf lol. They are sitting on the glass top of the top drawer. When the weather gets colder and I am not spending so much time out side I am going to make a rack (or buy something that would work) that will hang from the top to hold the beads.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
No, no room for a shelf lol. They are sitting on the glass top of the top drawer. When the weather gets colder and I am not spending so much time out side I am going to make a rack (or buy something that would work) that will hang from the top to hold the beads.
when you get that done pictures would be great.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
I do have some extra cedar and some free time this week..... I have been neglecting the wine cooler and focusing on the 120qt cooler build lol...

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I have a few questions for the Wine Cooler Gurus in this thread:

1) Can I disconnect the cold side fan without issue? It blows "inward" onto the radiator fins, not outwards, so I guess it just tries to dry condensation?

2) Does anyone else have a sticky brown substance that is all over the cold side fan, cold side radiator, and condensation run off channel? My guess is evaporated cigar oils that re-condense. (had to use simple green and a lot of elbow grease to remove recently. It had been collecting for over a year and just kept getting worse)

3) Does the peltier make noise? I verified my fans weren't making noise but i definite hear a strange groaning when the cooling is on.

Vino sells replacement cooling units for $35. Since my Styrofoam insulator (on cold side) is getting eaten away with what I can only assume is cigar oils I'd rather replace the whole thing instead of just the peltier. Its not that much of a difference in price. They've been out of stock for a while though, has anyone ever gotten a replacement this way?

4) I'm thinking of a Hydra (active humidifier). Do these cause issues in wine coolers? I'm worried about the interior fan running and messing up the humidity reading (hence why I asked if i could safely disable). Where would the best location be for placing this?

5) Can I mount beads along various heights of back wall? Obviously not in condensation "channel" but on either side of it?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
1) Can I disconnect the cold side fan without issue? It blows "inward" onto the radiator fins, not outwards, so I guess it just tries to dry condensation?
If you do this, your peltier will turn into a brick of ice and the unit won't cool. That thing gets well below freezing and without "warm" air moving over it, it will turn into any condensation that forms into ice, and it won't keep the entire inside as cool as you want it to be. The "warm" air needs to be blown across the ice cold peltier to achieve the cooling effect.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
#3 mine does not have the fans, but rather just a metal plate in the back of the cooler that gets cold. When the unit kicks on, there is a low volume smooth buzzing sound.
#5,..yes, I have beads placed on several levels in mine.

the rest of it I am not sure on, I have a different model, and do not have those issues.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
1) The fan (on the cold side of the peltier) is there to pull cold air off of the heat sink on the cold side. It pulls the air away from the peltier and pushes it into the unit. I would assume that if you removed or disconnected this fan, the interior of the cooler would never cool down to the correct temperature and the peltier would freeze over.

2) Nope

3) Mine is dead silent, the only thing you can hear are the fans blowing. I would have replaced the whole cooling unit if that were an option. In my case it was not.

4) I wouldnt use one just because I have had such great luck with beads. I read a story here about one going crazy and basically just spraying a mist into the air for a couple hours (or until it was empty). Sounds like more work than I need considering the Shilala beads are set it and forget it (recharge every 8 months - 1 yr or so).

5) I have beads at the top, bottom and at the bottom of the drain channel to soak up condensation. I dont see any issues with putting them everywhere along the back wall but also dont see a point to it. If top and bottom work (and there is no work there) why attach them along the whole back or sides?

Hope that helps a bit.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
For what it's worth:

1 - No. Correct information given so far, but the peltier relies on a heat exchange... if the air isn't moving it won't work efficiently, or possibly at all.

2 - no goo here, strange one...

3 - Only sounds in the two units I have personally used come from the fans. the peltier itself may "hum" somewhat, but there aren't really moving parts so to speak.

If you have the option to replace the "unit" rather than the peltier alone, I would reccommed it if its available. For 35 bux it's a reasonable deal and will take the tricky (not that tricky though) parts out of the swap.

4 - There are brothers using active humidification in their wineadors, but keep in mind that it only humidifies, not dehumidifies, and with temp eratures tising if the peltier fails, or if the hydra goes nuts you can have issues if you are using that sort of setup. I am with Justin on this one, your passive humidification systems are so clean and tight it makes little sense to spend the money for more moving parts and possible points of failure.

5 - There are brothers who swear by various bead placement strategies. "Mounting" the beads is an interesting approach... I can see how you might get to use more real estate inside the cooler that way, but it also seems like a bunch of work. For me... I have a tray at the bottom of the cooler full of beads, and a small stocking with beads in my four drawers. Often the wasted space in a wineador is at the top, and at the bottom... so these seem like natural places to put the beads and to forget about them.

As you can see, preference varies... but lots of answers could be the right answer for you.

Enjoy.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
thought on placing singles in front of the fan?

mine sucks inwards, thus pushing air out of all vents except the center one. just worried about that fan drying out the cigars directly in front of it.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
well just placed the order for the new drawers from Chuck. 6 unfinished double drawers. Hope it will be enought to move most of my stuff in.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
well just placed the order for the new drawers from Chuck. 6 unfinished double drawers. Hope it will be enought to move most of my stuff in.
I built one bead holder to hang from the top of the cooler the other day, I need a second but it was a serious pain. lol

I will post up a pic later if I have time, it came out nice but I may have to try and think of a way to make it out of metal instead of cedar....