What's new

Wineador Questions HELP

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I made the purchase today! I ordered a NewAir 28 wine cooler. It should be here early next week. This will be my first wineador and I have some questions. I figured there was no better place to ask than all my brothers. I have read that you must plug the drain. What should I use to plug the drain? Also, will I need something to catch condensation? I am also planning to buy/build drawers for the wineador. Does anyone know someone that builds drawers for wineadors? I contacted Ed from WaxingMoonWood.com but he is backed up for several months. Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Also, I will post pics as the project unfolds! Thanks!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Browse through this sub-forum a little bit (Storage). All of the answers you seek are within easy reach. Check out the sticky entitled Wine Cooler 101 and read through it for the answers on plugging and condensation catching. Check out Forrest's Drawer thread and shoot him a PM, he does fine work and has been able to turn things quickly, though he may be seeing some backlog as well by now.

Welcome to the madness from fellow Floridian.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I plugged mine with silicone. I shot it in front and back to fill it all the way up. Depending on where you live is where the condensation catcher usually comes into play. Based on the fact youre in Florida I would say yes. Im in Indiana and Im not using one. There are many many many threads on this forum that answer these questions over and over again.

As far as drawers and shelves. GolfNut (forrest) is who I got mine from. Great guy to deal with, great turnaround time and great price point. Can't go wrong with him. www.wineadors.com

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sorry, I can't figure out why in the hell this stupid system keeps putting in Wine Cooler 101 for Forest's thread, but we'll try it in a different post: Link

thebayratt

Satori's Dad "NTA_Shawn"
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You don't have to plug your drain.

I have had my drain unplugged for over two years with no issues. But, we do have a high humidity where I live at.

Here is my condensation catch. Thought I don't recommend running it into your beads!!
I got a pack of three "flexable cutting boards" from walmart for a few bucks. They are easily cut to shape and bend nicely and the water rolls off it. They are a plastic/nylon material.

I got my drawers from Chasidor. I got stained fronts (discontinued now) and they took a few months (4-5) to get to me. But they fit like a charm!!! No gaps in between them, on the sides, fit real well!

Any other questions feal free to ask us or you can PM me, no worries. We are here to help and hangout.

Rating - 100%
123   0   0
I just ordered drawers & shelves from Golfnut. He's only running 2-3 weeks out as of his e-mail less than a week ago. Definitely the way to go time wise :thumbsup:

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
i also went with forest, hopfully they will be done by the time i get home from afghanistan, but im also getting some custom stuff done not just shelves/drawers. so deffintly looking forward to getting them and setting it up and getting all my lovely sticks out of this xikar travler and this 7.62 ammo can haha

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have run my condisation catcher the way that ob left has done and it works great. I run it right into my bead dray on the bottom and do not have any problems.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks again everyone! I have been reading alot about this and have learned alot. Still not sure which beads to go with (HCM or HF). I am guessing that living in Florida I will need something to catch condensation so I will probably go with a small amount of HF beads for that. Then maybe I will go with the HCM to regulate RH.

Also, haven't decided on whether or not to run an ETC. Several people have said it's necessary and others have said it isn't necessary. Thoughts?

When "seasoning", do I need to wipe down all of the drawers with DW, just like a wood humidor? BTW, drawers are order through Forrest! Went with 5 double drawers and a shelf for the bottom. Can wait til they are done!

Thanks for all of the great ideas! It should be here Wednesday and I can start my build!

Thoughts and replies are much appreciated!

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Also, haven't decided on whether or not to run an ETC. Several people have said it's necessary and others have said it isn't necessary. Thoughts?
Without it the fan inside the unit runs 24/7. In addition the max temp most units can be set at is 60-65 deg. With the ETC, fan only runs when turned on, and you can set the temp at 70 deg. In the overall scheme of things we are not talking a lot of extra money. IMHO, better safe than sorry.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Thanks again everyone! I have been reading alot about this and have learned alot. Still not sure which beads to go with (HCM or HF). I am guessing that living in Florida I will need something to catch condensation so I will probably go with a small amount of HF beads for that. Then maybe I will go with the HCM to regulate RH.
Plenty of folks using that exact solution.

What he said.

When "seasoning", do I need to wipe down all of the drawers with DW, just like a wood humidor?
There is some disagreement on this, but my answer is no. I don't recommend it for humidors either. The risks associate with doing so are minimal, but why take any? Just put the drawers in and season them in the unit. Check out the seasoning sticky for more. Same concepts apply.

itallushrt

hero
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feel that an ETC is not an option with these unless you are putting it in a basement or a limestone cave.

Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but you'll need some way to move the air around in the cooler. Most of us are using the battery powered Oust fans. You can typically find them on amazon.com.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think I am gonna run it without an ETC for a bit and see if it is necessary. Time will tell as I am in no rush. Everyone on here has been fantastic with responses and I have definitely learned that patience is key.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wine cooler is in! Half pound of HCM beads and oust fans are in as well. I think Forrest is about a week or two out with my drawers. I'll be ordering an ETC this week and will probably install it next week.

Two questions for the experts. I have cleaned the interior of the cooler twice with warm water and mild soap. Everything was great until I plugged the unit in. After running for a few hours I opened it and the plastic smell was present again. Any ideas for getting rid of the smell? Also, I purchased two oust fans and I have noticed that when they run they don't put out much air at all. Is this normal?

When I get a little more done I will post some pics. Thanks for all the help everyone!