Votes: 43 14.0%
  • I'd rather eat rat poison...

Votes: 62 20.1%

• Total voters

TOB9595

Managing the UNMANAGEABLE
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my pipes are vintage/used. Many are unsmoked. I have no problem with pulling through a cleaner with everclear and smoking out of the rack.
For sour pipes I use the salt method to remove the icky tastes.
Tom

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My only concern is the stem. If it is all nasty and has chew marks and suck I would freak out. I would have to see some really good pics before I would decide on a used pipe. New is def the way to go unless you get one hell of a deal on a used or estate pipe. Just my 2 cents.

Jeromy

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several Estate (ie: Used) pipes and I don't have a problem with it. After a good cleaning in alcohol the stems are sterile and good as new.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to smoke pipes and know how much saliva drains down into the stem. I don't care how much you sterilize it the thought is what I can't live with. Spend some money and make the pipe yours only. If you can live with the thought of someone else "doing" the pipe before you then by all means, enjoy!

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
My only concern is the stem. If it is all nasty and has chew marks and suck I would freak out. I would have to see some really good pics before I would decide on a used pipe. New is def the way to go unless you get one hell of a deal on a used or estate pipe. Just my 2 cents.

Jeromy
You can always get a new stem from a good pipe shop.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you clean the stem and shank very well with alcohol and salt/alcohol treat the bowl, there will be no "cooties" left.:wink:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After its clean, I would smoke on. Bougth a few estate pipes from my local B&M and they are fantastic.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Annual deaths in the USA due to poisoning (2005) = 32,691 *
Annual deaths in the USA due to smoking a used pipe (2005) = 0

Help save lives - smoke used pipes.

(* From the CDC website)

mr.drybones

"The Lung Crusher"
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will do that with mine or some of the ones I won off ebay that I haven't gotten yet.

I bought an esatate pipe cause its cheaper and I wouldn't have to worry about building up cake in the bowl just to see if I enjoy smokin a pipe.

I totally understand the changing the stem thing but, the pre - broken in bole? Learning how to get a pipe cooking and how to break in the bole is a big part of it. As with cigar smoking, it takes some practice to get it right. Dont deprive yourself of the experience for convenience sake:guitar::guitar:...

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Buying used pipes was never a convenience thing for me ... it was all about $$$.

I'd basically put pipes in the same category as cars. Why buy new when you can get get a great, well-maintained vehicle for 40 - 80% off the new price?

I don't consider missing the break-in preiod to be that big of a deal.