Votes: 43 14.0%
  • I'd rather eat rat poison...

Votes: 62 20.1%

• Total voters

xrundog

Humidor Aficionado
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm sure pipe makers would love it if nobody smoked used pipes. More sales for them.

Imagine the death of an active pipe collector:
"Wow! Can I have Grandpa's cool pipe collection?" "Sorry Chip, those pipes are used. They will have to be destroyed at a pipe disposal facility."

Consider antique chairs or couches. Someone's ass was on that! And it was before bathing regularly was an accepted practice. Yuck!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have 4 pipes. 2 were used when I got them, one is new (unsmoked yet), one I broke in myself. The estates smoke better, and I'm reluctant to start breaking in the new one as the tongue burn was a bear on the one I've broken in. The estates were good to go when I received them. All I did was use some high proof alcohol (Bacardi 151) to clean the stem inside and out. No tongue burn. For the amount I smoke pipes (maybe once a month) the nice smoke is better for me than the break in period (which some people say takes up to 10 bowls)- almost a year of smoking for me!

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I have 4 pipes. 2 were used when I got them, one is new (unsmoked yet), one I broke in myself. The estates smoke better, and I'm reluctant to start breaking in the new one as the tongue burn was a bear on the one I've broken in. The estates were good to go when I received them. All I did was use some high proof alcohol (Bacardi 151) to clean the stem inside and out. No tongue burn. For the amount I smoke pipes (maybe once a month) the nice smoke is better for me than the break in period (which some people say takes up to 10 bowls)- almost a year of smoking for me!
IMO, tongue bite/burn has little relationship to new vs used pipes. I find it to be mainly about the type of tobacco, moisture content, your puff rate and how well the pipe draws.

I do think that used pipes are your best dollar value ... just like used cars.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
No problem at all.

I`ve only bought one new pipe in my life. All my others were my Grandfather`s (my favorites), or are estate pipes I`ve picked up here and there.

A pipe last smoked by one individual, years or decades ago, and thoroughly cleaned/reconditioned, beats the heck out of restaurant glasses or silverware used repeatedly and maybe washed well.

gonz

RKBA
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have bough estate pipes at a show and smoked them right away.

but thats me

I've smoked, and still do smoke, pipes from that ^ guy.
My favorite Meer came from his collection.
I purchased a few estates from Tedski too.

I didn't even sterilize em! :popeyes:

If I didn't know where something came from, I'd certainly clean the pipe well, but beyond that, there is nothing gross or to fear IMO.

WalterLars

Walter Lars
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy used pipes off eBay usaly in lots of several pipes and when I get them I give them a through cleaning with rubbing achahol letting it soak and soften up all the crap I have several pistol and rifle brass brushes and cotton mops tips I keep in a cigar box just for pipe cleaning and other odd bits of metal and plastic I have collected to use as scrapers I also have a box of baby wipes to use for out side clean up when I get a new box of pipes from eBay I go through them and put aside whats broken and then I start to clean up the rest I have several nice pipes now that were really grunged up its sorta fun to find a diamond among the junk and since I only pay about $ 2 or 3 per pipe I don't mind putting several in My junk box witch I go through every once in a while when I need a part or want to try a new cleaning trick or idea
I am getting a few more tools and learning how to repair pipes and clean and polish them up

so short answer is Yes I would smoke a used after I have cleaned it

Tomahawk

Small Victories....
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, nothing beats a new Savanelli or Peterson. And I don't have to worry about that one, " Super Germ " hiding deep down in a divit or something, crawling out and making me wish I didn't. LMAO oK, Yes there is something wrong with me. But I have four Sav's and I bought them all new. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. :agreeclen

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its cleaned throughly I got no problem. I was just gifted a pipe that had only Orientals smoked in it. It was cleaned throughly and now I smoke Va's and Vapers in it and have not experienced any ghosting.