What's new

Wow me?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I am a cigar smoker. I was gifted a Savinelli pipe 20 years ago and have not smoked it in 15. The original tobacco I got with it is still in the ziplock with the pipe.

What's a great pipe tobacco that I could try and see if I like it? Something not too "flavored" as I have become accustomed to appreciating the flavor of good tobacco on its own, especially aged.

Thanks pipers!

Paul

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some straight up VA forward blends that I've been smoking recently are Daughters & Ryan "Ryback" & "Three Sails". Also, Peter Stokkebye 83 Amsterdam. There will be many suggestions, but these are pretty clean and no goop.....

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Thank you brothers, you are as always far far too generous!

In the cigar side, I doubt you'd have such a high percentage of guys recommending the same two sticks, so I'm looking forward to some Frog Morton and Dunhill, and as much of the rest that I come across!

Another question: if I have not smoked the pipe for that long, is there anything I need to do to it, or just pack it and light it?

Rating - 90%
9   1   0

In the cigar side, I doubt you'd have such a high percentage of guys recommending the same two sticks, so I'm looking forward to some Frog Morton and Dunhill, and as much of the rest that I come across!

Another question: if I have not smoked the pipe for that long, is there anything I need to do to it, or just pack it and light it?
Some great baccy recommendations!
When it comes to packing, I pack the pipe in three layers. Fill up the pipe loosely with tobacco to the rim, and compress it lightly about half-way down. Then fill it back up again loosely and compress it to about two/thirds. Finally, reapeat and compress so that you tobacco below the rim of the pipe. The draw should be easy, not any more difficult than a cigar. If you pack it too tight, dump it and start over.
To light, puff while bringing a soft flame to the tobacco. Once you have the top charred, tamp the tobacco down lightly and relight. Tamp lightly during the smoke. You will have to relight.

Pipe smoking requires learning more technique than cigars. It was super frustrating for me at first, but once I quit expecting a pipe to be like smoking a cigar, that's when I really got hooked on the pipe. It's a different kind of smoke than cigars. I appreciate both.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Just your normal cleaning is all that's required
Running a pipe cleaner through the stem to ensure that all the tar and crud don't block it or spoil the taste of your next bowl

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Some great baccy recommendations!
When it comes to packing, I pack the pipe in three layers. Fill up the pipe loosely with tobacco to the rim, and compress it lightly about half-way down. Then fill it back up again loosely and compress it to about two/thirds. Finally, reapeat and compress so that you tobacco below the rim of the pipe. The draw should be easy, not any more difficult than a cigar. If you pack it too tight, dump it and start over.
To light, puff while bringing a soft flame to the tobacco. Once you have the top charred, tamp the tobacco down lightly and relight. Tamp lightly during the smoke. You will have to relight.

Pipe smoking requires learning more technique than cigars. It was super frustrating for me at first, but once I quit expecting a pipe to be like smoking a cigar, that's when I really got hooked on the pipe. It's a different kind of smoke than cigars. I appreciate both.
Exactly what I needed!