What's new

You guys were right, should have just started with the bigger one. (Igloodor)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I started ordering new smokes this week, and picked up a few tupperware' for a tupperdor. After realizing I ordered more sticks then the tupperdors would hold, it hit me- that buying a cooler would make more sense. There are 70+ cigars on the way, and I plan to order more. :applause:

I went with a 52qt Igloo and put some wire shelves in. The cooler itself is not perfectly flat on the bottom. I need to figure out a way to level it.

There is also a drain plug on top, should I seal it with silicone?

Attached is a photo of what I have so far. It's empty for now- because my orders have not arrived yet.

Future plans will be to use cedar shelves .

Attachments

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That is a good way to go. Get yourself some cedar trays, or empty boxes until you get your cedar shelves in. I doubt you are going to see a big difference if you seal the drain plug or not. I would leave it alone. That way, in six months when you run out of room you can buy a 110 qt and use this one as a cooler. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Thanks Carl.

I'm quite anxious to get my sticks in. I've been ordering a bunch of samplers in hopes to keep things different every smoke.

The coolidor is more of a temp humi while I save up for a nice wine fridge. My room is usually pretty warm during summer. So hopefully I'll have something by then.

Here's a list of a few of what I have on the way:
Gurkha Empire Series II
Rocky Patel Sun grown Sixty
Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Sixty
Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Super Toro
Indian Tabac Super Fuerte
CAO Black ltd. Bengal
CAO VR Moby
CAO Brazillia Gol!
CAO Italio Ciao
Oliva Serie G Churchill
Alec Bradely Overture
Aspira Corojo Robusto
CAO Cx2 Robusto
Conuco Robusto
Cruz Real Robusto

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Not a bad list of sticks to get going with.

Nice cooler. I've thought about going cooler on the next one I end up purchasing.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You don't tug on Superman's cape,
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off an 'ole Lone Ranger...

AND YOU NEVER POST A PIC OF AN EMPTY HUMIDOR!!!

:tiphat:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't tug on Superman's cape,
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off an 'ole Lone Ranger...

AND YOU NEVER POST A PIC OF AN EMPTY HUMIDOR!!!

:tiphat:
soon enough.
Sorry to post an empty humi. I got excited.
Hopefully most of my order will arrive before Thanks Giving.

THEN I will post a photo of it with some sticks.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
No need to seal the drain plug in my experience. Cheapest way to humidify is to buy some poly glycol solution and pick up a brick of florist's foam from the florist. Place the florist's foam in a small glad ware type container, add solution, and voila! I seem to remember Radio Shack had a good digital hygrometer for around $20.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 coolerdors (not to mention 3 desktop humidors and more traveldors, including a 50-stick one, than I can remember) going at any time. Don't bother to seal up the plug. I keep mine closed. Some folks like to keep theirs open, to allow for a bit of air flow. I don't 'cause it allows faster evaporation, and sometimes it can be months before I get a chance to visit my coolerdor stack.

As to humidification, I used to use PG solution with floral foam, but beads are much, much better. I just fill a clear plastic cup with beads, throw in some distilled water per the directions, and leave one of those cups in each coolerdor. Maybe a couple of times a year I have to add a little water, but that's it. Easy peasy, as they say in new England.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
No need to seal the drain plug in my experience. Cheapest way to humidify is to buy some poly glycol solution and pick up a brick of florist's foam from the florist. Place the florist's foam in a small glad ware type container, add solution, and voila! I seem to remember Radio Shack had a good digital hygrometer for around $20.
instead of PG or cigar juice, i would go with Heartfelt Beads. You'll save yourself from a lot of headaches. I, too, did not seal the drain plug, but i did put weather stripping around the lip of the cooler under the lid. If and when you get a hygrometer also invest in a Boveda Calibration Kit (~$4) to calibrate it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments everyone! :grin:

I actually have some heartfelt beads. My plan was to get a few small tupperware and drill a bunch of small holes in them. Then fill it up with the beads and place one on each level to have better chances of "even" humidification.

The beads are 65%, I've got a sandwich sized bag (1lb?). Should I just use all of it?

I currently don't have an actual hygrometer, but do have the typical indoor monitor' that reads temp and humid from walmart.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the comments everyone! :grin:

I actually have some heartfelt beads. My plan was to get a few small tupperware and drill a bunch of small holes in them. Then fill it up with the beads and place one on each level to have better chances of "even" humidification.

The beads are 65%, I've got a sandwich sized bag (1lb?). Should I just use all of it?

I currently don't have an actual hygrometer, but do have the typical indoor monitor' that reads temp and humid from walmart.
Check out the Heartfelt website. They have a calculator to figure out how much to use based on cubic feet.

Your walmart weather station is a hygrometer and should work fine, but do a salt test on it to make sure its accurate. If you are looking for something else I recommend the small round Xikar ones. Xikar has a killer warranty.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the Heartfelt website. They have a calculator to figure out how much to use based on cubic feet.

Your walmart weather station is a hygrometer and should work fine, but do a salt test on it to make sure its accurate. If you are looking for something else I recommend the small round Xikar ones. Xikar has a killer warranty.
Thanks Carl. It's a little tricky for me to measure the interior of the cooler since it's not perfectly square. But i'm sure a ballpark will be just fine.

I just read the Salt test, that will be perfect. Would the ole' dampen a paper towel and wrap the meter work as well?

stroke

Brian
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
If you're using heartfelt beads, no need to calibrate. Just put the beads in there with the hygro, wait a few days, and if you have 65% beads it should be very very close to 65%. If you're skeptical as to how well the cooli is sealed, do it in a tupperware container. I'm glad you have the beads, you can't bead 'em! (yeah, that was on purpose!) Here's a thread on my first coolidor, I've had great success with it. Maybe it will give you some ideas to work with.

As for it being balanced, did you take the handle off the bottom? I did, balances great now. No need to seal it, just keep it screwed closed.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks stroke. I do have the 65% beads.

If I remove the lower handle, the lid will drag when opening. I will probably make some kind of wooden frame to level it out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it was actually that site that made me get a coolidor.:cbig:
not to second-guess you stroke, but i've been reading a lot of posts lately that people have been getting the incorrect % of beads. Doesnt hurt to calibrate the hygro. just sayin. :skew:
I've read the same, Just ordered a Boveda calibration kit today. Along with the black powder coat Stinky ashtray.

Next week will be like Xmas all week. So many orders coming in right before Thanks Giving.