What's new

Your best travel tips...

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I fly all th time and know some TSA supervisors. Cutters OK. CIgars OK. Lighters unless in pre-approved travel box, a no-no. Cutters are still a problem getting into government buildings for some reason. Had one confiscated doing jury duty but got it back later.

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
put your lighter in a pretty yellow approved container TranzPak and it's fine. Cutters are fine in checked or carry on.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
I use to fly a lot for work and I only have carry on's and I keep my cigars in a safe place in my bags and have never had cutters or matches taken, or pick up a lighter when I get to where I am going.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think cutters are explicitly allowed. That said, I'd just bring a cheapie because you never know when some TSA guy is going to go on a power trip.

As to CC's, it's not a problem unless you're going to pass through customs. The TSA is there for safety, not to enforce the embargo.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I think cutters are explicitly allowed. That said, I'd just bring a cheapie because you never know when some TSA guy is going to go on a power trip.

As to CC's, it's not a problem unless you're going to pass through customs. The TSA is there for safety, not to enforce the embargo.
I fly every week, oldest Xtend in Colibri Tranzpac in the checked bag (it was opened, notice was tucked under the Tranzpac) never in the carry on . I've had TSA agents inquire about the quality of my Zero 30 and I've opened it up a shown them the contents and never worried about it. I even gifted an unbanded stick to one who was drooling and Jones'n.

Fresh50

Here to Learn and Burn!!
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lighters

Carry-on Rules

You cannot bring lighters (fueled or without fuel) in carry-on luggage or on your person going through the security checkpoint.

Checked Baggage Rules

You may take up to 2 fueled Zippo lighters in your checked baggage if they are properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. You can bring unlimited quantities of unfueled lighters in your checked baggage. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please refrain from bringing it to the airport.

Tip: Double-check your checked baggage for fueled lighters and your carry-on baggage and pockets for all lighters before arriving at the airport. Because of federal laws and operational considerations, we can’t return any prohibited items that you leave at the checkpoint. Your airline is responsible for taking possession and disposing of all hazardous material.

Department of Transportation Lighter Exemption

On June 23, 2005, the Department of Transportation (DOT) granted the Zippo Manufacturing Co an emergency exemption that allows passengers to pack up to 2 fueled Zippo lighters in checked luggage. The lighter must be in DOT-approved packaging. The packaging is a vapor-tight plastic box that can accommodate a single Zippo lighter. These packages must be clearly marked by their manufacturer to show that they comply with the DOT regulations. This enables TSA security officers to easily identify them during screening.
So can I pack my empty lighter and then fill it when I land? I rarely travel commercial so I hate to buy a transpak for just a use here and there.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It's always a cool accessory to have. I see no use in it if you don't travel much though. Good bump here :thumbsup:

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So can I pack my empty lighter and then fill it when I land? I rarely travel commercial so I hate to buy a transpak for just a use here and there.
Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on the people checking baggage to (1) be aware that there is a difference between packing unfueled lighters and fueled ones, and (2) to be able to tell the difference. I would be concerned that any lighter that isn't in a Zippo Otter Box or Colibri Transpack would be MIA on landing. JMO.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Damn, I didn't think of this earlier. I am leaving to go to Miami for a cruise on Friday.

Cutters the TSA says are ok. So I will throw my Palio on my carry on bag, my caddy in my checked bag. As far as a way to light the cigars, I hope there is something decent on the ship or on the way to it that I can pick up.

You can take cheapo bic style lighters on your checked baggage only. I guess I could take one with me incase. I bet theres something on the ship somewhere though with all those people smoking.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

It says one book of safety matches is permitted on carry on baggage to. I bet one of those little boxes of wooden matches doesn't count as a book.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
I've always taken cutter, punch, box of matches and traveldor in my carry on. And i take a 2 finger traveler made of metal with leather casing. Never had any problems with any of it. I put the punch and cutter and matches int eh traveldor along with cigars, banded. Put 2 sticks in the two finger and run it through the xray

After a dozen or so trips through security since 9/11, i've only been questiond once, and that was last week. They saw the 2 finger and just wanted to see what it was. TOok about 30 seconds for the guy to open the bag, pick it out and me say it's a cigar case. He said that's what he thought, they jsut wanted to make sure.

Oh, and i've always taken the el cheapo cutters, jus tin case...but have never lost any of them. IN fact, i use a straight razor to shave and it's a 2 1/2" long razor blade. Never had it taken or even questioned.

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I travel alot and have never had a problem carrying cigars or cutters. You cannot take a torch but can take a bic or a zippo.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
In october I knew I was gonna be at a Herf smoking so I didn't even bother bringing anything but my caddy. Plenty of cutters and lighters to go around so it wasn't even a thought.

I might see if I have any matches left. Worst that would happen is that they take them and I gotta use a bic or somethin.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I wouldn't say that it's exactly right, but every time I travel I just throw my torch lighter in my toiletry bag along with my cutter. I wish I could go punch some dude at the TSA in the face because you could kill someone easier with a pen than some of the things they ban for carry on. You can't bring your nail clippers with a file(maybe you can now), but you can bring a metal pen that is 6-7" long. I guess a pen just isn't threatening enough to be considered a weapon.

Now here's a pen for ya!
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/agcatalog/level4s.tam?xax=25783&M5COPY&#37;2Ectx=29556&M5.ctx=29556&M2_DESC.ctx=Writing Supplies&level3.ctx=results.tam&query.ctx=writing&backto=/agcatalog/results.tam