What's new

Your Gold Standard.

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
Non CC? Arturo Fuente Anejo 49's.

Although I no longer compare all other cigars to it, what started me down the path to "madness" was the Lars Tetan Ecstacy. I can still remember the day I made that my first "real" purchase... Ahh, youthful ignorance.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm not a long-time cigar smoker, but from my limited experience I clearly remember my personal high mark. An Ashton VSG Illusion. Not to berate the Ashton, but I plan to continue searching my next all-time favorite. I recently tried a La Aroma de Cuba, and was very impressed.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
2004 Partagas Short. Gifted to me by Icehog at a herf years ago. The flavors from the first few puffs were what changed my smoking from "Oh, this is good" to "oh, I really like the _________ flavor"

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've only been smoking cigars for about a year.

I started smoking everything in my local BM. Then i stumbled across the Oliva V. So now every new "budget" cigar i try i say to myself - self was this cigar better than a V? Most times not.

Now for the more expensive "special occasion" cigar, i find the Padron 1964 Ann Mad and the Fuente Anejo to be my "high end standard" to compare others.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Mine was an OpusX double robo from the Fuente Story box (the one with the dvd from several years ago). Up to that point, Onyx Reserve was the best stick I had tried. That Opus was a game changer for me, and still one of the best cigars I've had :)

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
From the way you describe "gold standard" as being the cigar that brought you to "the madness", I would say it was the LGC Serie R #4 Maduro. When I smoked that cigar, I changed from an occasional smoker to a regular smoker. It offered a full body and flavor i had yet to smoke in all the mild stuff i had smoked on and off for years prior to that. The variety of cigars i have smoked since then have seemed to be good and bad, some awful, some amazing. I wouldn't say an Opus or Anejo or some aged Cuban is a measuring gauge because I would be disappointed in an awful lot of cigars I smoke.

MI Dave

Petit Corona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first cigar that really sent me over the edge was the PAM 1926 #6. My boss and I used to celebrate with one every time we landed a big project. Lately, cigar perfection for me has been the Tat Blk PL. I love everything about that stick and find myself comparing everything else I smoke to whether or not I enjoyed it more than the Black. Haven't found anything yet.

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Most recently my gold standard is now a PSD4 from july 2007 i believe. Creamy, med bodied smooth...pure goodness.

Before that it was probaly an Opus Reserva d chareau that i smoked on my anniversary about 5 years back. But I'm thinking the occassion played a big role in how well I like that one.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
When I got back into it last summer I was buying the crap I smoked during the boom. On vacation in Charleston, I hung out in a shop and had a V rob. That was it. During that week I smoked 3 V robs, 2 San Cristobals, and 2 tats. Never been the same since. The V sucked me in.