What's new

Your Gold Standard.

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I would have to Say the LP No9. that was the first cigar I really smoke that was complex in flavor and kept me guessing flavors as it progressed.

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
^^^^This^^^^, at least to begin with. Then came the Tat Lance OR. As previously stated, by guys smarter than me, I can't use an Opus or some other serious high end smoke for a measuring stick. I don't have that kind of coin laying around anyway. Having said that, this EPC 2009 is treating me really well right now!

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
NC...Cojuno 03
CC...Cohiba Sig VI
The above are my No.1's...However...
There are a couple more that stand out for sure as stellar smokes but I would have to agree with the statement bellow as an over-all observation of my journey with cigars.

I don't really have a single stick by which all others are measured. Sure I have favs (T52 and Tat 7th Reserva being two of them), but to compare something like a T52 to a Connecticut or Sumatra wrapped cigar is like comparing apples to oranges. Yeah they're fruit, but they taste different. Sometimes I'm in the mood for apples and sometimes oranges.

Dan

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I totally understand what you and Dan are saying about comparing apples to oranges... fully understanding the flavor profiles of the leaf varieties is not something I've "practiced" as much as I would have liked to (I've just been smoking what I like for the past few years and not focusing too much - being pretty care-free). I need to work on this more. Any tips?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my relatively short time expanding my cigar horizons, I have found the WOAM to be the stick I try to compare others to. I really like the flavor and it matches, with a pretty decent price point for a mid range cigar.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I see a lot of people throwing fits about using aged cubans, or high end fuentes as their response here. I think that's rather unfair, because that is what the original post was asking for. He didn't ask what your bronze standard was, he asked gold standard. I don't think an Anejo or an Opus is really that out of line for a GOLD standard. I'll admit, his post was confusing by asking a 2 part question, but I still think those are fitting smokes for Gold Standards, to which you compare all of your other smokes. He also asked which stick was the transition stick for you, and it seems fitting that those cigars could/would be transition sticks. I'll stand by my post knowing that an aged Cuban is what made me change how I viewed cigars, and I'll go on record saying that the Anejo is that I compare all other smokes to. I can buy an Anejo any day of the week for less than $15, so I have no problem comparing every cigar I smoke to it. If I'm going to smoke a $5 stick, I'll know how I feel about it vs a Anejo.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
His question was posed as:

As I was nubbing a Havana VI artista (the first in a while), I was reminded of how much that cigar serves as the stick by which I compare all other sticks. This is probably because it was the first stick I had that was not made by general cigar back when I first started down the slippery slope. Does anyone else have a "gold standard," that stick that transitioned you from Macanudos to "The Madness"? The stick that sort of serves as your "center" by which you compare other smokes?
I don't think anyone is throwing fits, but my response was based on the fact that I don't consider high end Fuentes or aged Opus as my "center". Had the question been posed as "high end", then it would seem to be fitting to choose Opus or something high end. I know there are some here that their regular sticks are Opus and such, but my opinion was based on the fact that they aren't my "center" and using high end smokes to compare cigars to would leave me disappointed in a lot of good moderately priced cigars.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Reading some of the more recent posts made me think of something I didn't put earlier. When it comes to "gold standards" I do have one and it's construction. I seem to measure everything up to either a Liga Privada or a higher end DPG product. They are excellent examples of top notch construction. They're neatly rolled, burn well, produce smoke like crazy, ash holds for miles. Rarely do I have an issue with those sticks and that is what I've come to look for in other sticks...next to flavor.

Dan

Fourtotheflush

BoM Apr 12'
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
I will admit, I went from General / Altidas type cigars to

RP Decades - I was on the Decades for a long time almost two years.

Then sprinkle in a little Padron & Tat
and now I am mostly

Fuente LP Tat Padron.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
His question was posed as:

I don't think anyone is throwing fits, but my response was based on the fact that I don't consider high end Fuentes or aged Opus as my "center". Had the question been posed as "high end", then it would seem to be fitting to choose Opus or something high end. I know there are some here that their regular sticks are Opus and such, but my opinion was based on the fact that they aren't my "center" and using high end smokes to compare cigars to would leave me disappointed in a lot of good moderately priced cigars.
Nothing wrong with being disappointed with lots of cigars. Moderately priced or not. Find the stuff you like and smoke it!

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
The cigar that really got me into smoking were the first couple of years of the camacho diplomas. Came in this box:

il_570xN.134248336.jpg

Those were the cigars that sent me down the slope.

As for cigars I'm judging by right now... It's probably an Illusione 4/2g. It's the cigar I tend to grab if there's nothing new to try at my local.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Does anyone else have a "gold standard," that stick that transitioned you from Macanudos to "The Madness"? The stick that sort of serves as your "center" by which you compare other smokes?
fuente hemmingway signature. That was the cigar 16 years ago that i first "got", and wasn't just blowing smoke like some little ass. flavor, texture, aroma, construction, these were all something i now actually considered. still never turn one down.

had a bolivar royal coronas gifted to me two years prior, but i know that was wasted on me at the time (but still cool as isht to a 17yr old!).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same as Javajunkie actually, The Fuente Hemingway Signature was the first cigar that really started my transition. As far as CCs go it was the PSD No. 4. It was actually my first CC ever and it blew me a way at the time. While they're both good cigars my palate has changed since. My "gold standard" for NCs would have to be the Tatuaje Reserva J21. While not my favorite it's up there among my favorites and the one I compare other NCs to. My gold standard for CCs would have to be the CoLa. Fantastic smoke that would probably be my current favorite as well.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy: Cuesta Rey Centenario No. 9 w/ a natural wrapper. It just has flavors, that really appeal to me, that I seldom pick up with other cigars. It hasn't changed from the first one I've smoked either. I can grab one and I know what I'm getting.