What's new

Your home smoking area.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I've visited the Phoenix area (Tempe) just once on business. I stayed at a hotel near the ASU Tempe campus and it was right next door to an Irish pub with an outdoor bar area where I enjoyed a tipple and a smoke in the evenings. It was early spring and by Arizonan standards, I guess that still presented a danger of frostbite. There were several patio heaters fired up and still, people were dressed for an Alpine crossing. I even saw one 20-something bundled up in a pea coat and thick woolen scarf. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, as were to two fellow smokers from Detroit. We were amused.
LOL. (Hangs head in shame). Am from here, but have lived elsewhere, so it amuses me too. The sad part is, if you were that close to ASU, most of the people you saw were probably from "back east" somewhere. Doesn't take long for Phoenix to reduce your cold tolerance. On the flip side, I chuckle every year when the snow birds flee the rising temps. Traffic improves, restaurants have short waits, golf courses slash fees...

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
LOL. (Hangs head in shame). Am from here, but have lived elsewhere, so it amuses me too. The sad part is, if you were that close to ASU, most of the people you saw were probably from "back east" somewhere. Doesn't take long for Phoenix to reduce your cold tolerance. On the flip side, I chuckle every year when the snow birds flee the rising temps. Traffic improves, restaurants have short waits, golf courses slash fees...
I have to admit that my heat tolerance is pathetic...even though I'm a child of the Deep South. I was born in Mississippi and lived all over the South as a boy, a teen, and for most of my USAF career. Hot and humid was the rule. But almost 18 years in Alaska have taken their toll. I break into a sweat at about 74°F and I turn into a whiny little puss before it cracks 85°.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Two-and-a-half months later...

...it’s about 18 ºF (last time I looked) and appropriately, my beer is Hopothermia from Alaskan Brewing Co. That little heater has extended my smoking season greatly. With that and a heated fleece throw, I’ve enjoyed cigars down into the single digits.
Should keep your beer nice and cold!

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Two-and-a-half months later...

...it’s about 18 ºF (last time I looked) and appropriately, my beer is Hopothermia from Alaskan Brewing Co. That little heater has extended my smoking season greatly. With that and a heated fleece throw, I’ve enjoyed cigars down into the single digits.
I thought I recognized Peters Creek. I spent 3 years stationed at Elmendorf back at the turn of the millennium. Such an amazing and beautiful place to live, even with this bit of cold weather and snow. I'm a Chicago native, so I love the cold. We've talked about moving back up there even. BTW, love me some Alaskan Brewing!

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Great thread! Some sweet smoking sanctuaries! Been looking to convert half of my garage and there are some nice ideas to build off of on here. I need to seal off the walls a bit better to start with.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I thought I recognized Peters Creek. I spent 3 years stationed at Elmendorf back at the turn of the millennium. Such an amazing and beautiful place to live, even with this bit of cold weather and snow. I'm a Chicago native, so I love the cold. We've talked about moving back up there even. BTW, love me some Alaskan Brewing!
You may not recognize much of the base now. It's Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson these days or JBER ("jay-bear") for short. You may have seen the new BX mall and joint USAF-VA hospital but they've also built a lot of new housing in the last few years. And there are Raptors in the sky.

Before moving here, my only visit was an overnight layover on my way to Kunsan...in December. I got off the plane, it was dark, there was snow on the ground, I went to billeting. I got up, it was dark, there was snow on the ground, and I got back on the plane. Still, I tried to get an assignment here for years afterward without luck. I had to "settle" for Ramstein as my last tour. Grueling! But I showed 'em...I made them send me here to do my retirement outprocessing in Jan '99.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Well it’s done... last thing I need to do is mount a projector screen and move in the desk and furniture...

It’s an 8x14 with 10ft ceilings.

I have an in-line fan in the attic that pull about 450cfm at the medium setting.

But it’s ready and the feeling is amazing.

Congrats! That's gonna be super nice and enjoyable.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Me I smoke outside only, not in the car, or house. I have a nice small back yard with wall, and cover area. Works 12 month a year. When it is cold I put on a sweatshirt, if it hot like 122 I run a fan.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well it’s done... last thing I need to do is mount a projector screen and move in the desk and furniture...

Looks great...enjoy

I have an in-line fan in the attic that pull about 450cfm at the medium setting.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0

Congratulations devil dog. Enjoy it.