What's new

12 ga home defense round?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I've got #4 buckshot (2-3/4") in my shotty for home defense purposes. Is it adequate in your opinion?

I do NOT believe in using birdshot for home defense, so I pray this thread doesn't devolve into a birdshot v. buckshot debate. :facepalm: That said, over-penetration IS a definite concern in my situation, so I lean towards #4 lead buckshot (the smallest buck commercially available, I believe?) In a 2-3/4" shell, this equates to 27 pellets of misery for the poor sap who's on the business end. That said...is there something better for home defense in 12 gauge without increasing the risk of over-penetration?

Thanks in advance guys...

Last edited:

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Not really. Buckshot is buckshot. It's really the only thing the average personal will run through a shotgun for home defense. The lower recoil loads offer less velocity, and therefore less overpenetration.

You're looking at switching calibers, or weapons entirely, if you want to negate the issue.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
If I'm not mistaken though, won't a slug tear through drywall like crap through a goose?
Pretty much. With slugs, its not a matter of will it go through a wall but a matter of how many walls will it go through. If you don't want to kill people on the other side of said walls, over penetration in pretty high on the concern list.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
my home defense shotty is loaded with 7 rounds of #4 buck in the tube, and 10x rounds of breneke slugs in the speedfeed stock and side saddle (learn to do a slug drill if you dont know how to already)...

truth be told.. the shotgun is not my first choice for home defense anymore.. it hasnt been in more than a decade.. but.. its there if I need it..

my primary for home defense is an M4 with 62gr ball ammo in the safe.. and I keep a pistol within reach when sleeping..

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
My thought process is, the smaller the buckshot, the less chance of over-penetration. Unless I'm completely off-base?
Pretty much. Obviously it's load dependent, but basic physics will work here. Force is based on mass and acceleration, so reducing the mass will reduce the force.

But, how far down the ballistics rabbit hole do we want to go?
Some loads may increase the velocity to compensate for the smaller shot.
Even if force is reduced, the pattern may be terrible with the increased pellet number; this increases OP probability since missed pellets won't travel through dense tissue and bone.
Etc etc

I recommend the low-recoil loads with the smallest buckshot that patterns well out of your gun.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
fairy tail... sounds kinky.... that's why our department switched from 9mm to .40 cal. too many rounds going through our intended target and hitting what's behind it.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
fairy tail... sounds kinky.... that's why our department switched from 9mm to .40 cal. too many rounds going through our intended target and hitting what's behind it.
LOL, damn auto correct!
But really, who doesn't like kinky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I use birdshot but that's just me. Wahahahaha!!!! Messing with ya!

I use a low recoil buck shot. Federal, royal, whatever your favorite ammo company is. Just remember that just about all 12ga loads will penetrate normal house walls. Even bird shot.